Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Initial Impressions of my new PDK GT4

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 02:14 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts
Default Initial Impressions of my new PDK GT4

Picked up my GT4 yesterday and drove 500 miles home.

Overall I LOOOOVE this car!!! I have a bunch of pics, but haven’t had time to upload them yet, so that will follow in the next couple days.

Here are some of my random initial thoughts after two days and 500 miles…

First the bad…

I have a driver’s side door rattle somewhere, need to get that looked at ASAP, it drives me nuts.

This car needs to stay above 3K RPM’s. It is rather boomy in the lower RPM range in the cabin.

This was closer to the 400 mile mark, there were a few spots I got up to 115 to 120MPH, the rear can feel just a tad unsettled at that speed. The dealer would not set up the car in full aero mode, so it is in its default settings. I am hoping after I get a good alignment and move the aero into its most aggressive settings, it will give the rear more high-speed stability. Could also be that I still have a little tread squirm from the tires being new. It usually takes about 1K street miles for a 200ish TW rated tire to full come in settle in from prior experience.

Now the good…

There is no belt or whine noises whatsoever, so glad about that. I do hear the injectors, but that doesn’t bother me one bit.

The steering is so direct and telepathic, simply amazing.

Plenty of TQ down low and this car flat out MOVES as the revs build. Definitely faster than my SS 1LE.

Awesome gas mileage coming home with plenty of “spirts” along the way, averaged 22.5 MPG.

Suspension/damping is great. There will be no need to do anything there. Maybe I will change my mind later on, but for now I am very impressed and it is very confident inspiring.

This one is hard to put into words, but I love how it “feels”. The way it goes about accelerating, the throttle and drivetrain in stop and go traffic, the smoothness. Just the way it goes about its business is sublime.

I am excited to get this thing all dialed in and broken in.

The unknown…

I haven’t braked too much with this car yet, so the PCCB’s are still breaking in, but so far I love the pedal feel.

How this car feels at its limits. This I will not get a baseline because I am getting the rear toe links, alignment, and aero settings done on Tuesday.

This is all for now. My initial thoughts can be summarized as “C8 Z06 who?” LOL. I think the GT4 will be all I ever what and need for a street car.

Last edited by TRZ06; 12-06-2021 at 02:29 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by TRZ06:
Alpha Ice (12-06-2021), colnagoG60 (12-06-2021), DP8 (12-06-2021), Guaji (12-06-2021), JBM718GTS (12-06-2021), kwikit356 (12-07-2021), MechEngr1287 (12-06-2021), nothingman (12-06-2021), TripleL (12-10-2021) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-06-2021, 02:19 AM
Cpt Voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats!
Old 12-06-2021, 09:04 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Glad you're liking it! most of my thoughts are very similar, tho I'm immediately doing quite a few mods to dial in what I want.

I will say the gearing does annoy me some; not because it's 'long', but instead because it's not as close ratio as I'd like. Esp the 1-2. At least for street driving, Porsche left quite a bit on the table there. Even when redlining first, it'll drop you just under the big 5kRPM torque bump. I'd like ~the same 1, but a much closer 2.

The other thing that's annoying me is the nannied up e-parking brake. Put the car in reverse, crack the door to watch for curb when backing into a spot and the damn thing sets its e-brake. And then there's some order of operations when I want to roll the car around in neutral when wrenching on it which I need to quantify. IIRC, the e-brake won't release in neutral, and in park, it'll only release if I'm stepping on the brake. So, no just reaching in the car through the window to release the e-brake when wrenching. NOoo0oo... I have to get in the damn car, step on the brake, put it in park, etc. to get it to let me roll it around. Extra fun when you have it up on a 2 post and just want to rotate the rear wheels.

But my complaints are mostly trifling. Love the car so far.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:11 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Also, PDK on a track just feels like cheating. It's too good.

And the neutral revs are sick. Crazy fast spin up and spin down, like a good high performance engine should be. No lazy big inertia revs here.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:13 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Your note on the rear end is actually interesting. I felt this too probably closer to 80, and its gotta be the brand new tires( I also picked mine up on Saturday). I haven't looked, is there a more aggressive Aero setting for the rear? It might just need another -.5 camber on the rears to help with stability a little more.
Old 12-06-2021, 10:56 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Congrats on the new car....A good alignment will cure the rear end instability.....first mod on these cars

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions of my new PDK GT4