Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Navigation VS Apple Car Play VS Porsche Connect: User's Guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:25 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Navigation VS Apple Car Play VS Porsche Connect: User's Guide

I was using an Android when I ordered my car and chose Navigation. I also bought off the lot and ended up with Apple CarPlay and No Navigation.

After finally changing over to the new Apple phone I see that Apple Car Play may be the way to go in the future.

Question: Are these two systems exclusive of each other on the Spyder/GT4? How about Porsche Connect ?

Does anyone have tips on Apple Car Play Usage? The OM doesn't have a lot of information on using the device.

The juke box is also a little bit of mystery. Last time I used a USB storage to transfer music to the juke box but now there is Apple Connect so does that add choices for the juke box storage?

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 12-05-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:50 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I assume you are talking about Apple CarPlay.

Lots of compatible Nav apps like Waze, Google, Apple, etc.

Many other functions such as Siri and text messaging integration.

Since it’s third party proprietary software understandable Porsche doesn’t spend much time in the OM.

Lots available on internet on functionality including Apple…use your google fu.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:13 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I assume you are talking about Apple CarPlay.

Lots of compatible Nav apps like Waze, Google, Apple, etc.

Many other functions such as Siri and text messaging integration.

Since it’s third party proprietary software understandable Porsche doesn’t spend much time in the OM.

Lots available on internet on functionality including Apple…use your google fu.

Yes, See, I get Porsche Connect and Apple Car Play confused. Made correction. Thank you Shaggy for the tips.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:23 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I ordered my GTS without nav because Apple CarPlay was standard, better maps, etc. I do plan to use Simi to get the factory nav whenever my procrastination ends, because I can, and occasionally it's easier or simpler to use the in car nav like I do sometimes on my wife's bmw. Porsche Connect is still a mystery to me, I don't subscribe and can't see any advantages for me.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,695 Likes on 2,732 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I was using an Android when I ordered my car and chose Navigation. I also bought off the lot and ended up with Apple CarPlay and No Navigation.

After finally changing over to the new Apple phone I see that Apple Car Play may be the way to go in the future.

Question: Are these two systems exclusive of each other on the Spyder/GT4? How about Porsche Connect ?

Does anyone have tips on Apple Car Play Usage? The OM doesn't have a lot of information on using the device.

The juke box is also a little bit of mystery. Last time I used a USB storage to transfer music to the juke box but now there is Apple Connect so does that add choices for the juke box storage?
Hmmm, Android Auto, Car Play, OEM Nav and Porsche Connect are all separate things... You can have both Android Auto and Apple Car Play on the same PCM as well as OEM Nav (all of which can be added after the fact)

As for Porsche Connect, there is a limited 1 year free trial that comes with the car when new and it too works with both Android and Apple. AFAIK the Juke Box still requires that you load it, conversely you could simply insert a SD Card full of music and play it directly from there.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:44 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
I ordered my GTS without nav because Apple CarPlay was standard, better maps, etc. I do plan to use Simi to get the factory nav whenever my procrastination ends, because I can, and occasionally it's easier or simpler to use the in car nav like I do sometimes on my wife's bmw. Porsche Connect is still a mystery to me, I don't subscribe and can't see any advantages for me.
The more I look into Porsche Connect, the more it seems it is just an app for Porsche's benefit with very little benefit to the customer. I thought I needed it for the Track App, but that does not appear so, so I have not activated it, even though there is a code on My Porsche to do so.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:55 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
The more I look into Porsche Connect, the more it seems it is just an app for Porsche's benefit with very little benefit to the customer. I thought I needed it for the Track App, but that does not appear so, so I have not activated it, even though there is a code on My Porsche to do so.
Porsche connect is not needed for Track Precision app as you say, it provides some very basic information like fuel tank level, location and range among other things... I enabled because of the free trial but TBH, when that expires I will not renew. The app is very limited and anything extra is at a cost, I have a GMC with OnStar and even for free I can lock and unlock the vehicle, remote start it, flash the lights, sound the alarm, etc, etc Porsche is behind the times with this offering!
Old 12-07-2021, 02:00 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
It’s just a subscription app like onstar.

I didn’t get NAV so was told it wasn’t available.
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:16 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
It’s just a subscription app like onstar.

I didn’t get NAV so was told it wasn’t available.
It makes sense that without OEM Nav it wouldn't work, another thing to remember when I get asked what OEM Nav provides!

The thing about OnStar, is everything I listed is free to the owner, no subscription is required, only initial registration! Things like remote discovery of tire pressure, oil life and fuel level are always handy!
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 02:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
It makes sense that without OEM Nav it wouldn't work, another thing to remember when I get asked what OEM Nav provides!

The thing about OnStar, is everything I listed is free to the owner, no subscription is required, only initial registration! Things like remote discovery of tire pressure, oil life and fuel level are always handy!
Good point on the free Onstar stuff, had it on my Z06 and it occasionally came in handy.

Quick Reply: Navigation VS Apple Car Play VS Porsche Connect: User's Guide