Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Got "the call"...allocation for 718 GTS 4.0. Crazy to pass over ADM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021 | 12:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by remington
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I offered him MSRP. I already have a 981 Cayman, I'm just not desperate enough to pay ADM for this car. It's not the money, it's the principle, every time I looked at the car I would be reminded that my dealer pimped me on it, and I've found in owning enthusiast cars that the experience in buying it can make or break the ownership experience for me. I am awaiting his response but I'm pretty sure I know what it will be. I will update.

Old 11-12-2021 | 12:49 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

One apparently late thought, and it's not clear if it helps or not but I don't see how it couldn't: If you are thinking of doing a more highly optioned build I would consider mentioning that to them. I'd think with the extra money they make with a highly optioned build that they'd be more likely to forego ADM than they would be with the smaller margin they'd get on a lean build. (This has been discussed on another thread before)
The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
josephr25 (11-12-2021), remington (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 12:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
One apparently late thought, and it's not clear if it helps or not but I don't see how it couldn't: If you are thinking of doing a more highly optioned build I would consider mentioning that to them. I'd think with the extra money they make with a highly optioned build that they'd be more likely to forego ADM than they would be with the smaller margin they'd get on a lean build. (This has been discussed on another thread before)
good point!
Old 11-12-2021 | 12:57 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
This is a Porsche forum. No using the Kia/Hyundai anecdote when it's convenient for your argument.

We get it. You have what everyone is looking for and you live in the government protected land of the great white north and you stand firm on never paying an ADM. It's been really helpful to everyone searching for an allocation in this market
In the other direction it proves the point though by bringing up those brands. When there is a bidding war on mass produced mini vans and Hyundai Palisades are going above MSRP in this market……….it’s not surprising hard to come by models like these are also over MSRP.

Last edited by minn19; 11-12-2021 at 02:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by minn19:
0-Day (11-12-2021), Westcoast (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Another approach, probably moot at this point, spec the car, place the order accordingly, leave a refundable deposit, when the car arrives, offer MSRP and if they decline - walk.
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:00 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I offered him MSRP. I already have a 981 Cayman, I'm just not desperate enough to pay ADM for this car. It's not the money, it's the principle, every time I looked at the car I would be reminded that my dealer pimped me on it, and I've found in owning enthusiast cars that the experience in buying it can make or break the ownership experience for me. I am awaiting his response but I'm pretty sure I know what it will be, which is a hard pass, despite many years of sales relationships. I will update.
Good luck, I don’t think you can blame them if they ask for ADM. Your comment about many years of sales relationship implies that you will not be happy with the answer. But when the dust settles and the market gets back to normal, I’m sure you won’t mind asking for a big discount under MSRP. I think people need to be realistic and not get bent out of shape when they don’t get what they are used to getting.
The following users liked this post:
StormRune (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:13 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Originally Posted by minn19
In the other direction it proves the point though by bringing those brands. When there is a bidding war on mass produced mini vans and Hyundai Palisades are
going above MSRP in this market……….it’s not surprising hard to come by models like these are also over MSRP.

Don't disagree, My response was more to call out westcoast who discounted the hyundai/kia reference in another thread and then uses it to bolster his argument here.

The market conditions have changed. If you are shopping in this market, you can choose to get negotiate within the market conditions to get a car or stand by your principles of not paying anything over MSRP and deal with the reduced odds of getting a car. Pretty simple.
minn19 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:19 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Good luck, I don’t think you can blame them if they ask for ADM. Your comment about many years of sales relationship implies that you will not be happy with the answer. But when the dust settles and the market gets back to normal, I’m sure you won’t mind asking for a big discount under MSRP. I think people need to be realistic and not get bent out of shape when they don’t get what they are used to getting.
while I don’t disagree with you necessarily, and I am neither bent out of shape nor unrealistic in my expectations here, your comparison with pre-shortage discounting would seem to imply that the dealers were selling for a loss previously. They were not, obviously. They were making good money before the shortage and now they are gouging to make huge amounts of money. I don’t necessarily disagree with the capitalism at play here, I am just choosing not to be a participant in jumping in at the peak of an inflated market.

Now I will feel very foolish if the dealer comes back and offers me a smaller ADM and I accept lol.

Last edited by remington; 11-12-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:22 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

In the other direction it proves the point though by bringing those brands. When there is a bidding war on mass produced mini vans and Hyundai Palisades are
going above MSRP in this market……….it’s not surprising hard to come by models like these are also over MSRP.
Agree. It helps put the market into perspective and helps buyers make more rational decisions when you see a $5000 ADM ask on a $100k very low production German Sports car that you can custom order any way you want VS a $5000 ADM ask on a $27k Japanese sedan that is not even customizable at all and they will make tens of thousands of..
minn19 (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:25 PM
G.Irish
Racer

while I don’t disagree with you necessarily, and I am neither bent out of shape nor unrealistic in my expectations here, your comparison with pre-shortage discounting would seem to imply that the dealers were selling for a loss previously. They were not, obviously. They were making good money before the shortage and now they are gouging to make huge amounts of money. I don’t necessarily disagree with the capitalism at play here, I am just choosing not to be a participant in jumping in at the peak of an inflated market.

Now I will feel very foolish if the dealer comes back and offers me a smaller ADM and I accept lol.
To be fair, dealers are working with a lot less volume than they normally would be. So while they're scoring huge markups on GT cars, they're not selling as many of their bread and butter Macans, Cayennes, and Panameras. The supply of used cars is tight too.

Not to say that some are not being greedy, but the current market is not all beneficial to them.
The following 5 users liked this post by G.Irish:
minn19 (11-12-2021), OttawaSteve (11-13-2021), rnrouss99 (11-18-2021), Spyder Bite (11-12-2021), StormRune (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:26 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder Bite
Don't disagree, My response was more to call out westcoast who discounted the hyundai/kia reference in another thread and then uses it to bolster his argument here.

The market conditions have changed. If you are shopping in this market, you can choose to get negotiate within the market conditions to get a car or stand by your principles of not paying anything over MSRP and deal with the reduced odds of getting a car. Pretty simple.
Agreed, very simple. Actually, much more than it ever has been.

True, but that isn’t relevant. The market is what it is. Good luck though, I’m curious as to what they say.

Originally Posted by 0-Day
Agree. It helps put the market into perspective and helps buyers make more rational decisions when you see a $5000 ADM ask on a $100k very low production German Sports car that you can custom order any way you want VS a $5000 ADM ask on a $27k Japanese sedan that is not even customizable at all and they will make tens of thousands of..
Yup.
Spyder Bite (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:26 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

I think the characterization of "gouging to make huge amounts of money" is an overreach. There may be some of the bigger dealerships that will come out ahead from exploiting the market conditions for sure. I don't have access to the dealers financials but I imagine that the reduction of inventory and units to sell comes at a direct hit to their margins. I know they have reduced sales staff at several dealerships. I think they are trying to make more per unit on less units not necessarily by choice but as a response to the supply issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spyder Bite:
500 (11-12-2021), minn19 (11-12-2021), StormRune (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:28 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.Irish
To be fair, dealers are working with a lot less volume than they normally would be. So while they're scoring huge markups on GT cars, they're not selling as many of their bread and butter Macans, Cayennes, and Panameras. The supply of used cars is tight too.

Not to say that some are not being greedy, but the current market is not all beneficial to them.
^Also very much this. If they have used inventory though they are making a killing off of that. My dealer offered me 93k on my 21 CGTS 4.0 and were going to sell it for the MSRP of 108k n change.
Spyder Bite (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:38 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Sometimes a well-worded email can work some magic. I got my dealer to back off a $25k ADM by writing a polite but firm email to the GM and Busniess Manager about building long-term relationships, etc. My case was slightly different in that they had assured me all along I could buy it at MSRP, and only once they received the allocation did they try to tack on this $25k ADM. You might (CAREFULLY) allude to them "taking advantage" or something and say you'd have to consider if you'd like to continue doing business with this dealer in the future. In the end, this is going to come down to money, obviously. If they're worried about losing a long-time customer (potentially on the sales AND the far more lucrative service side), they may reconsider this charge. I'm not encouraging everyone to go whine when they don't get what they want, but be honest: will this affect your relationship moving forward? If so, tell them so.
Old 11-12-2021 | 01:42 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by G.Irish
To be fair, dealers are working with a lot less volume than they normally would be. So while they're scoring huge markups on GT cars, they're not selling as many of their bread and butter Macans, Cayennes, and Panameras.
I don't think the supply of new SUVs in particular is very tight. My dealer had several allocations for MY22 Macans; we put a deposit down on a Macan S yesterday. They also have 15+ MY21s sitting on their lot, and they're a small volume dealer.

Last edited by nobbyv; 11-12-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Got "the call"...allocation for 718 GTS 4.0. Crazy to pass over ADM?