Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

cup2 diminished grip below 7C

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021 | 11:44 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tifosielia
The other issue is below 40°F the Michelin's can and in my experience do start cracking the tread, between the tread blocks and on the shoulder. Looks almost like dry rot but the cracks can go very deep all the way to the structure.

I also have chanced it in cold weather and found the same, fine when it's dry but even surface moisture can make things terrifying very quickly. Just my personal experience.

Edit: this is off Google but matches exactly what I saw first hand with PSS during Northeast cold weather. Michelin states it's not a problem for the tires to get below 40° while sitting but if you drive on them that's when they'll start cracking.

The sidewall on the OEM Pilot Sports which came on my '03 20th cracked all the way through, and all the way around...came outside to a flat tire one winter. Older gen tires, but I think the principle is the same.
Old 11-08-2021 | 11:57 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tifosielia
The other issue is below 40°F the Michelin's can and in my experience do start cracking the tread, between the tread blocks and on the shoulder. Looks almost like dry rot but the cracks can go very deep all the way to the structure.

I also have chanced it in cold weather and found the same, fine when it's dry but even surface moisture can make things terrifying very quickly. Just my personal experience.

Edit: this is off Google but matches exactly what I saw first hand with PSS during Northeast cold weather. Michelin states it's not a problem for the tires to get below 40° while sitting but if you drive on them that's when they'll start cracking.
I've never seen or heard of cup 2 cracking at 40F. last time I checked with Michelin, their guidance was not to move them if temps reach 20F and warm up to 40F before rolling. Are you saying you have experienced cracking above 20f?
Old 11-08-2021 | 02:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
I live in the Toronto area. Streets here are all flat as a board and straight as an arrow. There's absolutely nowhere to put any heat into the tires, so the ambient temperatures factor in greatly. My Dunlops so far have only ever felt greasy not gummy.

It's an absolutely dreadful place to have a car like this actually. Sometimes driving on endlessly on straight roads I actually question ownership of the thing.
If the streets are flat, how do you know they're 'skating'? BTW, you can put heat in the tires just by accelerating and braking, hard, in a straight line.

At 20 degrees Celcius (68F), Dunlop Race2s stick like warm chewing gum. I've pushed mine on wet roads down into the high 40s with no problem at all, though I wouldn't recommend that. Anything above 55F and you can get the Dunlops to provide more grip than you'll ever need on the street.
Old 11-08-2021 | 05:03 PM
Tifosielia
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
I've never seen or heard of cup 2 cracking at 40F. last time I checked with Michelin, their guidance was not to move them if temps reach 20F and warm up to 40F before rolling. Are you saying you have experienced cracking above 20f?
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec...jsp?techid=273

Tire Rack says near or below freezing.

I couldn't tell you the exact temperature but I don't think it wasn't as low as 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Probably about 28-30 it rarely gets down to 20° by me.
​​​​​

Quick Reply: cup2 diminished grip below 7C