Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

next gen Toyota MR2 co-developed with Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021 | 01:26 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Default next gen Toyota MR2 co-developed with Porsche?

Just came across this rumor and it's interesting. Could be a possibility since Toyota co-develops the 86 with Subaru, the Supra with BMW, so why not the MR2 with Porsche. Now in the case of the 86, I think it's truly more of a collaboration between Subaru whereas the Supra was basically designed by BMW and Toyota did some engineering to fit the car to how they wanted to sell it and market it but it's basically a BMW Supra. Wonder if the R&D (if this is even remotely true) is going down the path of a true collaboration like the 86 or more of a re-badging like the Supra.

I think there may be some "truth" to this as it's possible that Toyota approached Porsche since the MR2 and 983(?) are both small mid-engine platforms. Toyota is known to not like to go into a product unless it makes money or unless they have a partner that can help absorb the cost of the development, hence the Supra developed by BMW.

Old 10-25-2021 | 01:51 PM
Josh_357
Racer

The rendering looks like the new Lotus Emira, which uses a Toyota engine and is 300 kW. Would make more sense to me to leverage the Lotus working relationship than a new one with Porsche. Then again, I am only stirring the rumor pot.
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh_357:
LnC993 (10-25-2021), Ramon Vennik (10-26-2021), TikiLou (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021 | 01:59 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

I wonder if co-developing a car with Porsche would push a new MR2 too far north in terms of price?
Old 10-25-2021 | 02:31 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Well, the more people building sports cars the better IMO. But I’m not sure how many Toyota will sell. It’ll be expensive and a Toyota… not a great combo for sales no matter how good it is. The current gen 86 is a good car (not that I’d ever buy one). That supra is apparently pretty fast for the price (not that I’d ever buy one either).

I’ve owned all 3 gens of the MR2 and they were all great in different ways and all were totally different cars. Lotus would definitely make more sense to partner with though. Lotus is probably looking for a friend too to share costs with.
Old 10-25-2021 | 02:45 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zhao

I’ve owned all 3 gens of the MR2 and they were all great in different ways and all were totally different cars. Lotus would definitely make more sense to partner with though. Lotus is probably looking for a friend too to share costs with.
My brother has a 2GR swapped SW20 and it is an absolute blast to drive. Basically a homemade Evora. Lotus partnership would definitely make sense.
Old 10-25-2021 | 02:59 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

This sounds plausible to me. People forget that the last MR2 (REAL MR2) was actually a pretty expensive car back in the day. A 1995 MR2 Turbo had a base MSRP of just under $29,000 and could get into the mid $30k range with options. That was a LOT in 1995 - within $2k or $3k of a 1995 BMW M3. Meanwhile a 1995 Porsche 968 started just under $40,000 MSRP in 1995.

If the new MR2 is positioned as a premium sports car, like the MR2 Turbo was back in the day, and it can come in it ~25% less than the base Porsche version, it could be a viable proposition between Toyota and Porsche..
Old 10-25-2021 | 03:22 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

I had a '93 MR2 Turbo and loved it so I would love to see a return of the MR2 Turbo....not the MR2 Spyder that they diluted down to be in the following years.

1. The car has to be fun.
2. Toyota will make sure it's reasonably priced...well because it's a Toyota.
3. It can't be a diluted down car because that will immediately turn it into a failure so why bother.
4. Toyota can partner with Lotus as Lotus already buys engines from Toyota but interesting that the rumor mentioned Porsche. Keep in mind as much as we love our Porsche sports car and aside from the GT3 and GT4 variants, the sports cars don't keep the lights on because buying sports cars in a compact SUV world is a dying breed. I thought I read there were even rumors of the next gen 983 using a VW platform and not a unique Porsche built platform.
5. If this were to ever come to fruition, it will never approach Porsche pricing teritory. As mentioned above, the MR2 Turbo back in the day was quite expensive but not Porsche expensive. It might start at mid to high 30's and reach into the high 40's and maybe a special GR edition will push just above $50k but that is as high as I can see the MR2 going considering that the Supra is well into that pricing range and the MR2 has to come in below the Supra.
6. Toyota could meet these requirements by partnering and cutting back on the interior luxuries and materials since it doesn't have to match the "quality" of the Porsche brand and it won't be badged as a Lexus.
7. For all we know, Toyota could also trade R&D and/or technologies with Porsche such as Toyota gives Porsche hybrid, battery, fuel cell, access to purchasing power (though I don't this is necessary with VW), etc and in turn Porsche supplies chassis, suspension tuning, engine tuning, etc.
Old 10-25-2021 | 03:29 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

You also have to factor in how fanatical (in a GOOD way) Toyota President Akio Toyoda has been about championing sports car projects at Toyota to raise the brand profile - even when they have no chance of ever being profitable. The Lexus LFA and Yaris GR come to mind.
Old 10-25-2021 | 04:28 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
You also have to factor in how fanatical (in a GOOD way) Toyota President Akio Toyoda has been about championing sports car projects at Toyota to raise the brand profile - even when they have no chance of ever being profitable. The Lexus LFA and Yaris GR come to mind.
He's been quoted as talking about the 3 brothers. Assume Akio is referring to Supra, MR2 and Celica (which has now been reimagined as 86.) Toyota is capable of building sports car but every time, they've released a sports car, the world basically goes into a depression. Their timing is terrible. They wait until the economy is doing well and people are spending and then they start R&D. By the time R&D is done and the car comes to market, which is like 8-12 years later, the economy has cycled from booming to depression so jokes have always circulated that Toyota sports cars are the best indicators if impending recessions. This new Supra was released during a odd time so either they've broken that curse or you can say that it's technically not a Supra as the car is basically built by BMW. Shoot, every part on the part is basically stamped with BMW part numbers.

People don't give Toyota credit for building sports car not because they can't build a proper sports car but because they develop/sell what Toyota wants to sell and not what people want to buy. Price always has to be a factor when selling a Toyota product so it can't be too expensive. The '93 Toyota Supra Turbo was their best ever "modern" day sports car and Toyota put every single engineering effort into making that the best from the 90's to compete with the 300ZX Twin Turbo, RX7 Turbo, and 3000GT Twin Turbo. Those were some awesome cars!
Old 10-25-2021 | 06:21 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Knowing what I do working within the industry, I don't see this happening. Wish I could go into detail but sadly can't. In short, sharing things within the VW Group is a minefield let alone trying to do it with another brand.
Old 10-25-2021 | 07:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

I find it difficult to believe that Porsche would dilute it’s brand with Toyota. Full stop.

Toyota should stick to making people movers. They are good at that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
dichael (10-25-2021), UncleDude (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021 | 07:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh_357
The rendering looks like the new Lotus Emira, which uses a Toyota engine and is 300 kW. Would make more sense to me to leverage the Lotus working relationship than a new one with Porsche. Then again, I am only stirring the rumor pot.
Old 10-25-2021 | 09:01 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Love SW10 & SW20 MR2, was always my dream when I was a kid. But wonder if new MR2 going to based on Porsche mid engine platform is that meant it will cost more than the GR Supra that's based on Z4 platform?
Old 10-25-2021 | 09:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don’t forget that, historically, PAG has done contract development and engineering for a bunch of other manufacturers.

For example: The Harley-Davidson V-Rod.

Quick Reply: next gen Toyota MR2 co-developed with Porsche?