Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Winter storage recos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 10:06 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts
Default Winter storage recos?

What’s everyone doing in this regard?

I typically:
1. Change oil
2. Fill with fuel stabilizer and Shell 91 no ethanol then drive home
3. Inflate tires to max pressure
4. Wash car
5. Detail the interior
6. Wax car
7. Hook up trickle charger to the smoking pkg
8. Spritz me carpets with my best cologne (which makes me want to kiss my car even more than normal)
9. Plug the exhaust outlets with steel wool
10. Cover with high quality Covercraft cover
11. Walk away
12. Look back

Anyone out there have any proven storage rituals beyond the above?
Old 10-23-2021, 10:58 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford

I typically:
1. Change oil
4. Wash car
5. Detail the interior
6. Wax car
8. Spritz me carpets with my best cologne (which makes me want to kiss my car even more than normal)
11. Walk away
12. Look back

Had a few beers so apologize in advance. But, skip all of the above and put all seasons or winters on and drive when dry out. Wash car every week in touch less car wash to get road salt off. Enjoy car year round.
The following 8 users liked this post by minn19:
Alan C. (10-24-2021), AviBen (10-22-2022), catdog2 (10-23-2021), HooosierDaddy (10-26-2021), impinth06 (10-19-2022), phefner (10-23-2021), Spike Spiegel (01-09-2022), TikiLou (01-10-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:12 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Exactly! Drive the darn thing..

My spyder is going to get her Wim Hof treatment, got Bridgestone RE980A/S+ on and will be driven all though winter, top down when not raining or snowing..

Getting ceramic coating next week and that's it...

Life is too short, 3RS is the only garage semi queen
The following 2 users liked this post by catdog2:
minn19 (10-23-2021), phefner (01-08-2022)
Old 10-23-2021, 11:14 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 421 Posts

-3F..Heaters work great.

On any day above freezing, give her a foam bath.
The following 8 users liked this post by phefner:
catdog2 (10-24-2021), HooosierDaddy (10-26-2021), minn19 (10-23-2021), mranderson (10-24-2021), Ramon Vennik (10-20-2022), Spike Spiegel (01-09-2022), TikiLou (01-10-2022), UncleDude (10-24-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-24-2021, 12:06 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

I typically:
1. Change oil
4. Wash car
5. Detail the interior
6. Wax car
11. Walk away
12. Look back

Add to this list putting an open container of baking soda or a couple of desiccant packs inside the vehicle to absorb moisture
Old 10-24-2021, 12:08 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Had a few beers so apologize in advance. But, skip all of the above and put all seasons or winters on and drive when dry out. Wash car every week in touch less car wash to get road salt off. Enjoy car year round.
No beers yet as it is too early in the morning, but I agree, drive the damn thing on nice days, it is better for the car then sitting...

Originally Posted by catdog2
Exactly! Drive the darn thing..

My spyder is going to get her Wim Hof treatment, got Bridgestone RE980A/S+ on and will be driven all though winter, top down when not raining or snowing..

Getting ceramic coating next week and that's it...

Life is too short, 3RS is the only garage semi queen
My exact prescription for the winter blues, I too have RE980AS tires in place and will go out at every opportunity!
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 12:38 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,102 Posts

I don't do 8 (I like the natural smell of my car) and 9 (my cover covers the exhaust).
Old 10-24-2021, 01:18 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,635 Likes on 2,703 Posts

I typically:
1. Change oil
4. Wash car
5. Detail the interior
6. Wax car
11. Walk away
12. Look back

1 and 2 are fine, for 3 I recommend tire cradles, go for 4 but save 5 and 6 for when it comes out of storage, at 7 make sure it is a true battery maintainer not a trickle charger, skip 8 as you never know what rodent might find you attractive!, if at 9 you need steel wool then you may need a storage bubble because something crawling into the exhaust is the least of you worries (see 8 for reference), 10 looks good and 11 and 12 are not necessary because your cot will be right next to the car for the next 6 months!
Old 10-24-2021, 05:45 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Other additional points for winter storage.:

1. Add stabilizing agents to fuel: Sta-bil and Seafoam as noted in point 2.
2. Put carpet remnants under tires after overinflating.

Last edited by Magnetic K; 10-24-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:47 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 755 Likes on 370 Posts

I posted this in the “long term storage” thread from last year and made some edits for clarity.

This is my advice after 20 + years of collector show car storage for winters in the snowy northeast for 5+ months:
Make sure the car is clean, tank is full and stabilizer is added.
I add 40 lbs of air to the tires.

Buy 2 rolls of plastic sheeting, 6 mil preferred, but at least 4 mil, 10’ x 25’ (you’ll need to trim down a few feet on the 25’ length) and 3 Damp Rid desiccant containers.
Damp Rid sells refill bags so you can refill the plastic containers next year.

Spred one roll out on the concrete floor of your garage. Concrete is very porous, moisture can rise up from the floor.
Park the car on the plastic. Try not to steer on the plastic,it will twist and wrinkle it. You might have to position your car first, then pull slightly forward and backwards over the loose rolled ends. Then unroll the balance.
Place the damp rid containers in the car, frunk and trunk .
Leave a window cracked open slightly. While this sounds wrong, you want it to breathe. I also run the cord from the battery tender through the crack and then connect it and plug it in.
Cover the car with a decent car cover. I also droop some old throw rugs I have over the sides that might face door dings or other accidental hits while it’s in hibernation.
If you are concerned about mice, place 1 baited mousetrap behind the tire wheel (this is optional), but at least set some traps outside of the wrapped car.
I spread some peanut butter on a typical Victor mouse trap. Make sure you can see the trap when you walk into the garage and look at it every time you do. You’ll be able to easily view it through the plastic.

Then place the second sheet of plastic over the car cover. Even it out and let it hang down (careful not to trip the Mousetrap!).
I usually then mark the all the plastic sheets with a sharpie so I know what the clean side, floor side, front rear sides are for the following year. I find I can get 3-4 years use out of the plastic (I hate waste).
Now bring the lower sheet up to be secured to the top sheet. I use clear packaging tape from a tape gun (ripped off by hand and applied by hand, obviously). The tape holds the lower sheet to the upper sheet. Apply as you walk around the car, tucking the top sheet in and pulling the bottom sheet up against it.
Yes, you will have air gaps, it’s okay... it’s not meant to be air tight.
Yes, mice can easily chew through the plastic, but I’ve yet to have one do that and get whacked by the trap inside in all the years that I’ve done this!
I get plenty of mice in my garage. The wifey loves to feed the birds. If you feed birds, you attract mice.

For some reason, the mice don’t bother to chew through it. At least not yet in 20+ years that I’ve been doing this.
But I do look at that trap almost every day! I have a few more traps set elsewhere too and I check them often as well.

It’s temperature change that causes most moisture by condensation, but wrapping it up helps keep warm air from the cold car.
Try to keep the garage door closed when the weather warms up on a sunny winter day.
You might have to re-tape a fold or two over the course of the storage, but generally the packaging tape sticks well.

The following 2 users liked this post by SpeedySpidey:
Nickshu (01-09-2022), slilley (10-25-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 10:45 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
I posted this in the “long term storage” thread from last year and made some edits for clarity.

This is my advice after 20 + years of collector show car storage for winters in the snowy northeast for 5+ months:
Make sure the car is clean, tank is full and stabilizer is added.
I add 40 lbs of air to the tires.

Buy 2 rolls of plastic sheeting, 6 mil preferred, but at least 4 mil, 10’ x 25’ (you’ll need to trim down a few feet on the 25’ length) and 3 Damp Rid desiccant containers.
Damp Rid sells refill bags so you can refill the plastic containers next year.

Spred one roll out on the concrete floor of your garage. Concrete is very porous, moisture can rise up from the floor.
Park the car on the plastic. Try not to steer on the plastic,it will twist and wrinkle it. You might have to position your car first, then pull slightly forward and backwards over the loose rolled ends. Then unroll the balance.
Place the damp rid containers in the car, frunk and trunk .
Leave a window cracked open slightly. While this sounds wrong, you want it to breathe. I also run the cord from the battery tender through the crack and then connect it and plug it in.
Cover the car with a decent car cover. I also droop some old throw rugs I have over the sides that might face door dings or other accidental hits while it’s in hibernation.
If you are concerned about mice, place 1 baited mousetrap behind the tire wheel (this is optional), but at least set some traps outside of the wrapped car.
I spread some peanut butter on a typical Victor mouse trap. Make sure you can see the trap when you walk into the garage and look at it every time you do. You’ll be able to easily view it through the plastic.

Then place the second sheet of plastic over the car cover. Even it out and let it hang down (careful not to trip the Mousetrap!).
I usually then mark the all the plastic sheets with a sharpie so I know what the clean side, floor side, front rear sides are for the following year. I find I can get 3-4 years use out of the plastic (I hate waste).
Now bring the lower sheet up to be secured to the top sheet. I use clear packaging tape from a tape gun (ripped off by hand and applied by hand, obviously). The tape holds the lower sheet to the upper sheet. Apply as you walk around the car, tucking the top sheet in and pulling the bottom sheet up against it.
Yes, you will have air gaps, it’s okay... it’s not meant to be air tight.
Yes, mice can easily chew through the plastic, but I’ve yet to have one do that and get whacked by the trap inside in all the years that I’ve done this!
I get plenty of mice in my garage. The wifey loves to feed the birds. If you feed birds, you attract mice.

For some reason, the mice don’t bother to chew through it. At least not yet in 20+ years that I’ve been doing this.
But I do look at that trap almost every day! I have a few more traps set elsewhere too and I check them often as well.

It’s temperature change that causes most moisture by condensation, but wrapping it up helps keep warm air from the cold car.
Try to keep the garage door closed when the weather warms up on a sunny winter day.
You might have to re-tape a fold or two over the course of the storage, but generally the packaging tape sticks well.
Instead of all this, I would recommend the Car Capsule. I have the basic version since I pulled my car in at the beginning of winter and pulled it back out in April. It works great. I also put critter repellent bags, Irish Spring soap, and moth ***** near where the zipper closures meet and where the wire for the fan and battery minder pass through. Well isolated and safe.
We now have AS tires so no capsule this year. If we find we need it, we'll invest in the one you can pull in and out of.
MOO & FWIW
Old 10-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Puggz
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 142 Posts

I typically:
1. Change oil
4. Wash car
5. Detail the interior
6. Wax car
11. Walk away
12. Look back

I wouldn't do 8. 9 is optional as my cover cover's the exhaust. I've heard that a couple of bounce sheets underneath will keep the rodents away. As this is my 2nd winter with the GT4, i'm also getting the gearbox oil replaced.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:11 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanMatt
Instead of all this, I would recommend the Car Capsule. I have the basic version since I pulled my car in at the beginning of winter and pulled it back out in April. It works great. I also put critter repellent bags, Irish Spring soap, and moth ***** near where the zipper closures meet and where the wire for the fan and battery minder pass through. Well isolated and safe.
We now have AS tires so no capsule this year. If we find we need it, we'll invest in the one you can pull in and out of.
MOO & FWIW
I thought I should post a photo to give an idea of how it looks in action:

I think it's a great solution for winter storage!
MOO & FWIW
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanMatt:
minn19 (10-25-2021), Nickshu (01-09-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 03:34 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it really necessary to do an oil change before the hibernation? I am planning on hibernation for only 2.5 months (Jan-mid March). My car was bought new in just August. Thanks
Old 01-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,765 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Is it really necessary to do an oil change before the hibernation? I am planning on hibernation for only 2.5 months (Jan-mid March). My car was bought new in just August. Thanks
No, it's absolutely not necessary.

Quick Reply: Winter storage recos?