Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder Experience / Review / Comparison / Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 08:29 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 46 Posts
Talking 718 Spyder Experience / Review / Comparison / Thoughts

Before I share my opinions on my 718 Spyder, I thought it would be wise to give you all some background/perspective on my car experience:

I've been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember, from Hot Wheels to Go Karting to Car Shows to Magazines, the obsession started young and progressed. Today my automotive itch is scratched through track days, spirited back road driving, buying/selling cars, and ingesting disgusting amounts of YouTube content. My first car purchase was back in High School and since then, I've owned a WIDE variety of sports cars from numerous marques (see my signature) so I'd like to point out that I'm not a fanboy of Porsche or any particular brand. Instead I judge each car on its own merits and unique qualities - I wish more people took an open-minded approach to cars (and life for that matter). It's important to note at this time that I love new experiences and want to try everything that's out there. Given limited funds and garage space, I'm forced to let one baby go in order to adopt a new child to love. It's a vicious cycle but it really brings me join and my SO seems to prefer me "taste testing" other machines rather than other women...

While I'm still kicking myself for selling my beloved 991.2 GT3 prior to the market going bananas, I'm glad I was able to lock in a build slot for a 718 Spyder which I just took delivery of in August. Having now put over 1,500 miles on the car, I'd love to share my impressions of the Spyder and compare it to its predecessor, the mighty GT3.

Getting the itch to trying something new after 2 years of GT3 ownership, my hypothesis was that I could get >90% of the GT3 driving experience while liberating some cash to use elsewhere. Long story short, my hypothesis was spot on but there were some additional revelations I wasn't quite expecting that I'd like to share to those who are interested.

My concerns prior to making the swap:

1) I'll miss the glorious GT3 engine, in particular the wonderful noise it makes and the power it delivers when strung out.
- It's Sound - While the GT3's engine certainly made for some great theatre when passing the 8k mark, I can't say it necessarily sounds better than the Spyder's engine. Even in stock form, the Spyder sounds quite good but pair it with a nice aftermarket system (I'm running the JCR) and I think I prefer it to the sound of the GT3. More on the sound below.
- It's Power - This was the biggest surprise to me, when I first test drove a Spyder (back to back with my GT3), the initial acceleration felt almost identical. When your speed starts climbing, the GT3 does have more power you can feel but unless you're on a lengthy straight, you won't really notice the difference. Most of this is due to the fact the cars have very similar Torque figures and weigh about the same, so coming out of a corner and punching it will yield a near identical feeling in your stomach.

2) The long gearing will annoy me
- The quick test drove I did quieted these fears. What many people don't seem to understand is the beloved GT3 has very similar gear ratios and tops out around 80 mph in 2nd (vs 84 in the Spyder) yet no one ever complains. Unless I'm really trying to hustle, most of my spirited back road drives in either car would find me short-shifting given the length of the gears, so going from the GT3 to the Spyder wasn't a noticeable difference. The only reason long gears would be an issue is if the Spyder didn't have enough torque down low but that's not the issue. Again, the Spyder's torque curve is near identical to the 911.2 GT3 so it's got plenty of twist even when the RPMs are low.

For me, a great car delivers something to all the senses. This is what sports car ownership is all about, the joy of driving, so it's critical to buy what moves you. For me, the two senses that impact emotions the most are the eyes and ears. Without beautiful design, a car won't mean much to me. I want to always smile when I walk up to it. I want to want to take pictures of it. I want to look back at it after it's been parked. Perhaps you could label me as shallow but it's what's on the outside that first gets my juices flowing. After that, I need something that makes wonderful sounds and encourages me to ring it out. Without that, the driving experience will always leave me wanting more. There's no better example of this than the Miata. I purchased the wonderful ND2 Miata after I sold my GT3 as an interim car while I waited for the arrival of my Spyder. The revised engine made the car quick enough to really love (< 6s 0-60), the chassis and handling were fantastic, they knocked the design outta the park, and its minuscule size and weight really gave it a fun factor other cars can't touch. All that said, the lack of voice really left me wanting more. It's the only thing missing from making that wonderful little car epic.

With the GT3 offering one of the best sounds out there, I really wanted to make sure the Spyder would not be a disappointment. It's always hard to gauge sound through YouTube videos but the research indicated an aftermarket system should resolve any worries. That being said, I've installed some sort of aftermarket exhaust on ALL my cars, including the GT3 which just didn't sound quite right from the factory. With the Spyder, I was actually surprised at how good the OEM exhaust sounded. Had a much better tone than I was expecting when being leaned on. It was also louder than I expected, especially after all the talk around the particulate filters muting things down. While waiting for the car, I ordered a JCR system which arrived months prior to the car's delivery. I put about 500 miles on the car while it had the OEM system, so I had enough time to analyze and appreciate it. That said, the JCR system really takes this car to the next level - I'll do a separate post/video review on this later. I'm running their non-silenced, valved, titanium exhaust and also installed a Cargraphic valve controller. Noise Verdict: While not quite the howl of the GT3 @ 9,000 RPMs, the Spyder makes a delicious noise that doesn't leave me wanting more. And with the JCR, it somehow has a sort of exotic sound that's oddly reminiscent of a V10.

Having owned and driven many cars with well north of 500 hp, the GT3 was certainly not at the high end of my barometer when it comes to acceleration, particularly when putting your foot down at highway speeds. Doing a 60-120 pull is where you can really discern acceleration differences between big power cars. That said, the GT3 made the most of it's 500 hp. It's ability to put power down coming out of low speed turns made it an absolutely spaceship on fun mid-speed backroads. This is where it shines and this is the type of driving I enjoy. Living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I am fortunate to have access to numerous twisty driving roads so I want my car's abilities to suit this. I'm not looking for highway superstars. The Spyder is equally as gifted, making its 414 hp feel like quite a bit more. I'm not sure you can find a faster car on a back road, it's just so nimble and powerful.

Going back to my original thesis, I'd say the Spyder delivers what feels like 95% of the GT3's performance while scoring bonus points for doing it all topless (woohoo)!

Hope these insights are helpful or at the very least entertaining, and spur some good conversation.

The following 19 users liked this post by bigdog1250:
843Spyder (12-05-2021), Adrift (10-20-2021), AlexCeres (10-20-2021), DFW01TT (10-21-2021), FASTRKMAN (10-21-2021), JBM718GTS (10-21-2021), JPMD (10-20-2021), Polarporsche (10-20-2021), Raghu (10-20-2021), rwm (10-20-2021), Spyderblack (10-21-2021), ssiminou (10-22-2021), StilettoPat (10-20-2021), Tigers10 (10-20-2021), triode (10-21-2021), UncleDude (10-21-2021), veblenesque (10-20-2021), Yellow Submarine (10-21-2021), Zeus993 (10-21-2021) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-20-2021, 08:35 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,225 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Great review, thanks for sharing. Great looking Spyder too.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:48 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I am a proud owner of a Spyder and took delivery at the same time you did (end of July). Have just hit 1000 miles. While I never drove a GT3, my previous car (still in sig) was a 911, a 2015 GTS, so I do have a basis to compare to the 911. I also had a Targa before that. I can say that I enjoy the Spyder more than the 911. I don't know if it's the newness factor or just the drop dead gorgeous looks, or the open top feel, but I feel like I will keep this car a long time. It's nice to know from a former GT3 owner that there isn't too much delta, at least on the road.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:54 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 560 Posts

Pic #5 is the Money Shot. This is the one you should enlarge, frame and put on your wall !!
Old 10-20-2021, 09:07 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Excellent review
Old 10-20-2021, 09:09 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 387 Posts

^ Agree, nice review. I’m a little surprised by your thoughts on how close they are… I would never have assumed that.

The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:12 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Awesome review, thanks

Exhaust questions:
Is the only difference in silenced versus non, max volume?
Due to drone complaints, I’m wondering if valve controller is really needed. Plenty people seem to think Porsche got it right by leaving the valves closed down low.

TIA
Mr Impatient Waiter
Old 10-20-2021, 09:27 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

I totally agree on all the points made and I’m finding my Spyder to be the most fun car I’ve ever owned or driven. Stunning to look at (I’m shallow as well when it comes to cars) and all the power I need. Being back in a drop-top with a manual completes the fun for me although I’m sure this car is glorious with the PDK as well.

I don’t miss my Turbo S for a second and I no longer miss my Targa now that I’ve experienced open top motoring AND an agile/nimble mid-engine layout.
StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Enjoyable read, and I feel the same in some ways...try as many cars (and bikes) as I can. Now change your avatar pic!
Old 10-21-2021, 12:24 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 970 Likes on 458 Posts

Damn, I put up 6 track lights in my garage today and now I see this. More work to do. Nice review and I agree about the long gearing. It's a non issue yet every video reviewer seems obligated to talk about it.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:48 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 188 Posts

Well written opinion. Appreciate your insights. The Spyder does check all the boxes (Handling, Looks, Aural sensation, Driver engagement/connection, and Speed). Although I can't say how it compares against a 991.2 GT3, I can say that I find much more driving satisfactions and smiles than my 997.2TTS. Perhaps it's the NA and 8k rpm noise it makes, the driver engagement it encourages, or the nimbleness and direct responses it provided me, this car is THE definition of Cargasm, for me. I thought I would miss my 997.2TTS, but interestingly, no...well maybe the sheer brutal acceleration it provided, but other than that.... I even get more enjoyment from my 5-spd 86.5 928S than the TTS. But now, the Spyder just steals the show.
The following 2 users liked this post by 808c2s:
Jeff Jones (10-21-2021), StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 06:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Great review - I actually read all of it. Tx.

I came (reluctantly/gratefully) out of a 997.2 GT3RS that is, IMO, a more analogue, more "organic" driver than my 718 Spyder (late July 2021 delivery, just over 2500 miles on it now) but not good as a DD. It was simply like driving a tractor at slow speeds, and really only fun (and oh what a heck of a lot of fun it was) above 4000 RPM when the genie would come out of the bottle and reach super high impound speeds on local roads. EPIC motor (Mezger 3.8), epic suspension and steering, epic looks, etc... just not the right car for day to day living.

Enter the Spyder with all of its reported shortcomings (engine note, steering feel, long 2nd gear etc...) but in actual fact is an EPIC "GT-like" car in its own right. Like the OP, I haven't found the basic out of the box exhaust note to be bad (although it's not a Mezger) and I actually like how quiet it is given the city, and its high rate of noise violation tickets, I live in. My only dislike has been the annoying "ticks" of tie piezo injectors, which thankfully seem to be quieting down as the engine gets more miles on it.

The steering? It's certainly not as "nubbly" as the 997.2 RS but when pushed a bit it's very good. The long 2nd gear? I love it for the type of up in the twisties type of driving I like to do. And it's perfect for ripping around the city and being able to bring it on when pushed up into the local hills. And as the OP mentions, the top comes off!

P.s. Do I miss all my past Porsches? Yep, especially the RS. But I have a friend that owns a 997.1 GT3 RS and generously lets me drive it. My conclusion is that the Spyder does 90% of the Gt3 RS, and having an RS good friend can fill the remaining 10%.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-21-2021 at 06:38 AM.
StilettoPat (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:40 AM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Pic #5 is the Money Shot. This is the one you should enlarge, frame and put on your wall !!
I'll vote for #2!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 PM
bigdog1250
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Damn, I put up 6 track lights in my garage today and now I see this. More work to do. Nice review and I agree about the long gearing. It's a non issue yet every video reviewer seems obligated to talk about it.

^ Don't worry, that's not my garage. This was taken at the Porsche Experience Center in LA. Had a blast picking up the car there, there various low-friction circuits are hilarious to drive on. The mini-Nurburgring turn also deserves a shout out.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Great review - I actually read all of it. Tx.

I came (reluctantly/gratefully) out of a 997.2 GT3RS that is, IMO, a more analogue, more "organic" driver than my 718 Spyder (late July 2021 delivery, just over 2500 miles on it now) but not good as a DD. It was simply like driving a tractor at slow speeds, and really only fun (and oh what a heck of a lot of fun it was) above 4000 RPM when the genie would come out of the bottle and reach super high impound speeds on local roads. EPIC motor (Mezger 3.8), epic suspension and steering, epic looks, etc... just not the right car for day to day living.

Enter the Spyder with all of its reported shortcomings (engine note, steering feel, long 2nd gear etc...) but in actual fact is an EPIC "GT-like" car in its own right. Like the OP, I haven't found the basic out of the box exhaust note to be bad (although it's not a Mezger) and I actually like how quiet it is given the city, and its high rate of noise violation tickets, I live in. My only dislike has been the annoying "ticks" of tie piezo injectors, which thankfully seem to be quieting down as the engine gets more miles on it.

The steering? It's certainly not as "nubbly" as the 997.2 RS but when pushed a bit it's very good. The long 2nd gear? I love it for the type of up in the twisties type of driving I like to do. And it's perfect for ripping around the city and being able to bring it on when pushed up into the local hills. And as the OP mentions, the top comes off!

P.s. Do I miss all my past Porsches? Yep, especially the RS. But I have a friend that owns a 997.1 GT3 RS and generously lets me drive it. My conclusion is that the Spyder does 90% of the Gt3 RS, and having an RS good friend can fill the remaining 10%.

Couldn't agree more! I had a 991.1 GT3 and still mess the raw, analogue nature of that car. Best steering in the business and the sound trumps the newer 4.0l cars. Will certainly need to swoop up another Mezger down the road.

Originally Posted by Adrift
Awesome review, thanks

Exhaust questions:
Is the only difference in silenced versus non, max volume?
Due to drone complaints, I’m wondering if valve controller is really needed. Plenty people seem to think Porsche got it right by leaving the valves closed down low.

TIA
Mr Impatient Waiter
That's my understanding from what JC told me when I ordered the system but I could also see the silencer helping with the light drone down low. No one seems to buy the non-silenced version for some reason but I'm a huge fan. I'd also say it's not too loud by any means as I'm considering also doing over axel pipes now as I think the car still needs to be woken up a bit more. There's a video from JCR where he's driving a car with their full setup (headers, OAP, and rear) and it sounds unbelievable. If this wasn't my primary driver, I'd likely go that route but still need to keep the car slightly sane. As for the Cargraphic controller, it surprisingly doesn't help with the low down drone all that much. I haven't had enough time with it installed to say if it helps on the highway or not. If you just added it to the stock system, I think it would make more of a difference. Before the controller arrived, I just drove around with the hoses plugged as I'd prefer the car loud all the time. I just thought being able to close it on the highway would be nice but it doesn't seem to make a major difference when the JCR is installed. I plan to do a full exhaust review video in which I'll shoot some footage and go into more depth after further testing, so standby.
Adrift (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 01:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Love that color combination. Very unique and spot on.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder Experience / Review / Comparison / Thoughts