Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Delivery Decision - Need to Choose Fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 06:33 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Delivery Decision - Need to Choose Fast

Calling all driver's seat experts - share your thoughts!

I just got a call from my SA. There is good news and bad news.

The good news is that my car is getting close to leaving the factory. The bad news is that my plan to try the LA Delivery Experience is back on covid restrictions PLUS the current shipping challenges.

I can have the car delivered to my dealer in the midwest and then I can either pick it up and drive it back to Seattle in late November. Or I can pay to have them ship it to me.

OR

I can wait and have the car delivered to LA and do the experience at the same time as originally planned. That will mean a 12 to 16 week delay, so late Feb or March.

My plan was to take delivery in LA, get PPF at a top notch detailer and then enjoy the car and get the break in by driving it all the way home to the NW. I can still do that but I will have to wait. Maybe that is ok given that it is not prime dirving weather anyway?

I have to make a decision in the next 24 hours so would love to hear some input. Are there factors I am missing as I think about this or a route that you would recommend?

Thank you!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:36 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts

I have a question for you, does the PECLA really cause that much of a delay? My delivery got delayed almost 3 months after my Tracker got updated to PECLA. I am local to LA, which is why I chose it, instead of having my car shipped to NJ then back to CA.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:43 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
I have a question for you, does the PECLA really cause that much of a delay? My delivery got delayed almost 3 months after my Tracker got updated to PECLA. I am local to LA, which is why I chose it, instead of having my car shipped to NJ then back to CA.
That is what they are claiming.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:43 PM
CDACH
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 76 Posts

PECLA is OK but not worth waiting 12 weeks for. I would 100% have it shipped directly to you or your PPF guy. You can always visit PECLA and thrash their cars at your leisure.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:46 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by JBSea
That is what they are claiming.
Well I guess I know why my car got delayed. Thanks for the Info! Do you know who you are going through for your PPF? I usually go through AeroWerkz for all my cars.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:54 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlickxAC
Well I guess I know why my car got delayed. Thanks for the Info! Do you know who you are going through for your PPF? I usually go through AeroWerkz for all my cars.
If I use the LA delivery I am (was?) planning to use Moe at Glistening Perfection.

If I have it shipped to me in Seattle I will need to find someone local for the PPF etc. Not sure yet who that would be.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:58 PM
jyu0
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 25 Posts

Where in the Midwest is your dealer located? Driving the car back to Seattle in late November may not be possible on the sport cup 2 tires because some of the places you will be driving through might be too cold or have snow already. You should probably get the car delivered to you and work out something with the dealer to get you a session at PECLA. This way you can drive the car earlier and make it a round-trip down to LA for the event.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I faced the same dilemma back in Jan, my Spyder arrived then, but there was no PEC LA delivery available until March or so - rather than have the car sit at port or PEC I took delivery from my dealer, and took a "make up" slot for PEC LA at a later date (which is probably not worth it)

I'd recommend take the delivery at the dealership...

Also - although I have no 1st hand experience of it, I have heard that *some* dealers will do "courtesy delivery" (for a fee) but that requires the selling dealer and the delivering dealer to collaborate.

I would have the car transported from the mid-west to your locale in Seattle - should be covered top deck delivery with one of the reputable car transport co's ...

good luck and enjoy!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:03 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I faced the same dilemma back in Jan, my Spyder arrived then, but there was no PEC LA delivery available until March or so - rather than have the car sit at port or PEC I took delivery from my dealer, and took a "make up" slot for PEC LA at a later date (which is probably not worth it)

I'd recommend take the delivery at the dealership...

Also - although I have no 1st hand experience of it, I have heard that *some* dealers will do "courtesy delivery" (for a fee) but that requires the selling dealer and the delivering dealer to collaborate.

I would have the car transported from the mid-west to your locale in Seattle - should be covered top deck delivery with one of the reputable car transport co's ...

good luck and enjoy!
Cheaper if I arrange the transport or should I have the dealer do it?
Old 10-12-2021, 07:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Cheaper if I arrange the transport or should I have the dealer do it?
thats your call I think but you will have to coordinate between the dealership and the car transport company, since you will want the dealer to take delivery and perform PDI prior to the car being transported ... and probably have them perform a pre-load inspection to ensure that if anything is amiss you know who to blame&claim!

you can find a bunch of recommended companies referenced in many of the forums ...

unless of course you think the "drive back" would be fun

Old 10-12-2021, 07:32 PM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

If I use the LA delivery I am (was?) planning to use Moe at Glistening Perfection.

If I have it shipped to me in Seattle I will need to find someone local for the PPF etc. Not sure yet who that would be.
I would ship the car from dealer in Midwest then have Cesar @ Pista Film Solutions do the PPF. He has done alot of Porsche/GT3/4 cars and worked for many years at the other local shops before opening his own shop and fine tuning his techniques.

Dealer may up charge transportation which is fine if they cover any mishaps but if it’s on the carrier anyway you can probably get it cheaper through Plycar or Reliable transportation.

Last edited by rp2000r; 10-12-2021 at 07:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rp2000r:
JBSea (10-12-2021), Jeff Jones (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:49 PM
JBSea
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
thats your call I think but you will have to coordinate between the dealership and the car transport company, since you will want the dealer to take delivery and perform PDI prior to the car being transported ... and probably have them perform a pre-load inspection to ensure that if anything is amiss you know who to blame&claim!

you can find a bunch of recommended companies referenced in many of the forums ...

unless of course you think the "drive back" would be fun
The drive back from LA was definitely something I was looking forward to. I am not sure that the drive back from Chicago to Seattle in late November would be ideal.....might be fine but a couple mountain ranges to cross........
Old 10-12-2021, 08:16 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Since your car is coming to Chicago area, Ivan at Lustr is one of the best. You could get your PPF done here, then trek out to Seattle. Take a southern route until the west coast, if necessary.

Good luck. Enjoy your ride.
The following users liked this post:
JBSea (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

I would use the money for PEC delivery for a 2 day track event. In the meantime put in the break in miles.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:42 PM
BearsTransport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

If you need shipping options , PM me for rates and schedules.

Liz
847-810-7641
https://bearstransport.com/

Quick Reply: Delivery Decision - Need to Choose Fast