Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Allocation build date games

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021 | 09:08 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Default Allocation build date games

Since my build date keeps getting kicked, and is the latest build date I have heard on here by a fair bit, several people have implied my dealer might be gaming me. But, others have indicated that a commission is tied to a specific build date, and that in fact the allocation is “defined” by that build date.

Is it possible, if you have a commission #, to have your build date / schedule traded around behind the scenes? What kind of games can dealers play? TBH, I believe my dealer / SA are being above board and that I am just a victim of planning for the coming supply chain collapse, but am curious what games are possible, and what to look for.

Conversation to pass the time, if nothing else.

TIA
Old 10-07-2021 | 09:35 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

I vote above board.
Old 10-07-2021 | 10:00 AM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Don’t know if it help, but I gave a deposit around February 2021 for a Spyder with PTS and specific instructions that European delivery was a must for me. I got a call September 3rd from my SA that He got an allocation with a lock date of October 4th, build end of February for delivery in Leipzig in April 2022. I gave him my final spec, but he could not or would not provide me any order or allocation number. But I got a confirmation email that an order has been place.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:01 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

First, congrats as it sounds like you are for sure getting a car so find the silver lining in the situation. In the not too distant future the order books will be closing on Spyder/GT4 so discussion will change to used car "games".

You are correct; the allocation date is the build date. Often misused on here. Once you secure an allocation you will also secure a specific commission number. You asked if allocation date is tied to a specific commission number -- I don't think so. Commission numbers are only unique to the individual/dealership and we know you can get one for a demand order.

Allocation/Build dates can move around. Mine moved up two weeks, lately most report some delays although some others are still on time. PVSMS updates on Fridays so typical to move up/down weekly with overall production timing.

Think you posted that your build has had two 5-week jumps. I'm no expert, but that sounds a little unusual.

It is possible that your dealership is managing three allocations/customers, something that does happen. It is the dealer's inventory until signed over to you.

It's also possible that your build has slipped twice due to your build content; which is what the dealer will tell regardless of reason "covid and supply chain".

Have a bourbon and relax -- you're in great shape!
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:35 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

>> Once you secure an allocation you will also secure a specific commission number. You asked if allocation date is tied to a specific commission number -- I don't think so. Commission numbers are only unique to the individual/dealership and we know you can get one for a demand order.

TXshaggy - I am a bit confused by the above. You state you get a commission number after you get an allocation, but then say a commission can be generated just from a demand order...? Can you clarify. Thx

I realize I am lucky to have an actual build date, but being the absolute last in line (on this board)...lol...it just feels odd, especially with even recent allocations seeming to promise delivery in 2021. I suspect these "newer" allocations are ADM allocations which have been hanging around "in inventory" for a while, but I don't know that for sure.

I have had one 6 week delay, when that first Builds Are Slipping thread was started, and then another 5 week some time after that (which I just discovered a few days ago). I try to only bug my SA once a month for build date updates.

Borg1of5 - I would be nervous, if I were you. Everyone else seems to have gotten the build schedule image when they were actually given an allocation.

Last edited by Adrift; 10-07-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:39 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the confusion.

Was just pointing out that Commission Number can be generated without an allocation through a demand order.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:42 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

So my attempted clarification is that a commission number does not mean you have an allocation. My commission number was set when my demand order was placed but I sat at V070 for a while at that point.
When my status changed to V200 and an estimated build date appeared, then I had an allocation and things moved along from there.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:44 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Okay, so my commission number showing V200 (and an associated built schedule) is the magic that proves I have a promised car, yes?
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:45 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
Okay, so my commission number showing V200 (and an associated built schedule) is the magic that proves I have a promised car, yes?
I certainly think so. My V200 line shows the phrase "Delivery Date Determined".

Last edited by StormRune; 10-07-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:55 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I just looked on your posts and see the history of you build date projections! That's horrible and does seem really unusual unless you have some really unusual option like a special PTS or one of the new 3D printed custom bucket seats on order.

But I'm not aware of the dealer having any apparent control over those dates once the V200 status is set. At least my dealer seems to communicate it is all out of their hands after the allocation is assigned to you until the car arrives at the dealer
Old 10-07-2021 | 12:03 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

No PTS, just guards red. And regular LWBS. (Shrug)
Spyder Bite (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 12:32 PM
dmboone25
Pro

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on Rennlist.

I have been fortunate enough to have two Porsches before (981 CS and 981 BGTS) and am in the process of trying to get an allocation for a Spyder at my local dealer here in DFW.

I've been following these threads for a while now, especially the situation for @Adrift , and I have to say that the ordering process in P-car land seems to be pretty strange, at least compared to my experience ordering cars on the BMW side (have done that three times now). Both of my 981s were cars that were sitting on the lot / ordered by the dealer, so I've never had to go through this process with a Porsche before. I am in a far less certain position that Adrift appears to be, but I don't understand why there isn't better communication between the dealers and the various "powers that be" at Porsche.

For example, my SA doesn't seem to have any idea or inkling as to when the next round of GT4 / Spyder allocations will be made available to my particular dealership. Why is that? Why isn't there more transparency, in terms of where you are in line, so people can plan accordingly? It just seems...bizarre.

I might not be lucky enough to get a Spyder at this point )I am still hopeful!), but I think the situation Adrift is going through would be worse...you've got a spot in line (woohoo!), but you keep getting moved back, and not told why.
bpeacock (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 01:02 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Welcome dmboone25, it’s a great community here, with tons of good info.

From what I’ve seen, dealers have past experience about when car allocations typically are made available by Porsche, but have little to no specific information. Also, Porsche does not send out order status; your SA has to go inquire online, and then can provide you the info. There is a new app which lets buyers do this, but it isn’t fully online for 718s yet.

Dealer transparency about where you are in their line to be provided a car is totally variable, by dealer. But keep in mind some buyers spend huge money with dealers, so it is in the best interest of dealers to be cagey with “where you are in line to get an allocation” specifics so that they can respond to a request from one of their big spenders. Or if someone comes in and flat out offers to pay $X for an immediate availability.

Once you have an allocation, though, it apparently all falls into Porsche’s court to schedule / provide your build, based on supply chain and production priorities.

That’s my take.
dmboone25 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 01:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Also a welcome to dmboone25!
Coincidentally I had made a post just a few days ago asking a similar question about Porsche transparency and the how their opaqueness easily leads to frustration on our side. At the time I was questioning why they weren't providing more information proactively about the cars with the engine recall and with cars showing up with missing chips. They know they are missing when they ship them, why don't they proactively tell the customer to expect a delay when it arrives?

Or more pertinent to this thread, why are they just magically dancing schedules around so dramatically like Adrift is seeing? I would think each significant delay should come with an apology and an explanation.

Right now it is the only thing fouling my experience with Porsche, and I was even lucky in that I managed to pick up an abandoned allocation as a long time repeat customer, so I only ended up with a six month wait. I can only imagine how frustrating it has to be for Adrift and others with much longer waits!
dmboone25 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 01:40 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
Also a welcome to dmboone25!
Coincidentally I had made a post just a few days ago asking a similar question about Porsche transparency and the how their opaqueness easily leads to frustration on our side. At the time I was questioning why they weren't providing more information proactively about the cars with the engine recall and with cars showing up with missing chips. They know they are missing when they ship them, why don't they proactively tell the customer to expect a delay when it arrives?

Or more pertinent to this thread, why are they just magically dancing schedules around so dramatically like Adrift is seeing? I would think each significant delay should come with an apology and an explanation.

Right now it is the only thing fouling my experience with Porsche, and I was even lucky in that I managed to pick up an abandoned allocation as a long time repeat customer, so I only ended up with a six month wait. I can only imagine how frustrating it has to be for Adrift and others with much longer waits!
Hey @StormRune , when exactly did you snag that allocation?

Quick Reply: Allocation build date games