Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best performing “street” headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 01:23 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,761 Likes on 692 Posts

Personally I try not to stress about the differences in power gain claims between the major/reputable brands. Some power gains should come by replacing restrictive cats with free flowing cats, ditching the opf and optimizing the exhaust flow. Most of the brands accomplish this in nearly identical ways. They don't all make the same claims, they don't all test on the same dynos, etc. but there are more variables with the testing than there are with the actual products imho. I would assume you will get some power gain but also assume you need a tune specific to your car and setup to take full advantage of that. I'm not saying there is nothing to differentiate the brands. Sound. Drone. Price. Weight. Materials. Quality. Warranty/support. Ease of install. Compatibility with other mix and match components. Aesthetics.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (10-07-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:39 PM
YMGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 57 Posts

I am taking off my Dundon street headers in the next month or so if anyone is interested in a set with about 2000 miles on it (Im in bay area, CA). The system pulls hard, but the exhaust tone isn't my favorite and noise level is a bit too much for me personally on the street. Going to try JCR OAP/Race pipe combo w/o headers to try and cut noise level down a bit and improve sound, but clearly will give up power gains.
Jeff Jones (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:44 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by YMGT4
I am taking off my Dundon street headers in the next month or so if anyone is interested in a set with about 2000 miles on it (Im in bay area, CA). The system pulls hard, but the exhaust tone isn't my favorite and noise level is a bit too much for me personally on the street. Going to try JCR OAP/Race pipe combo w/o headers to try and cut noise level down a bit and improve sound, but clearly will give up power gains.
Consider this me registering my interest!
Old 10-06-2021, 06:06 AM
kev718gts4.0

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Regul8415
Went with Dundon. The fit and finish is top notch. The sound it produces is music to my ears. I can’t help but push the throttle to hear it rip every time I’m in the car.
My Dundon just arrived today, just wondering do you have any CEL with it yet? I know Dundon claims these won't trigger CEL.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:47 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 186 Posts

just drove the car home about 36 miles with the Fabspeed headers freshly installed. the smell of fresh cats burning was very satisfying. will have to post my initial impressions and some cold start videos in my build thread shortly. just wish this rain would stop...
Old 10-06-2021, 07:49 PM
jcmer22
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
just drove the car home about 36 miles with the Fabspeed headers freshly installed. the smell of fresh cats burning was very satisfying. will have to post my initial impressions and some cold start videos in my build thread shortly. just wish this rain would stop...

Very interested to hear your feedback. I’m close to ordering Kline stainless headers.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:40 AM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcmer22
Very interested to hear your feedback. I’m close to ordering Kline stainless headers.
I like the modular design of the Fabspeed. In the event the cats breakdown and will need replacing, you really do not have to remove the entire piece. You can just replace the cat. I also like the idea of dealing with the company directly when it comes to the warranty issues. Going through a vendor to deal with Kline (located in Romania) can be a headache. Finally, if you look at the Kline headers pictured below, they are designed just like the stock headers. It looks like they just copied and pasted the factory design. The collector at the end before the cat does not seem as efficient as the other aftermarket designs available. These are my non-engineer observations (aka my .02 cents).

Old 10-07-2021, 09:09 AM
jcmer22
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the modular design of the Fabspeed. In the event the cats breakdown and will need replacing, you really do not have to remove the entire piece. You can just replace the cat. I also like the idea of dealing with the company directly when it comes to the warranty issues. Going through a vendor to deal with Kline (located in Romania) can be a headache. Finally, if you look at the Kline headers pictured below, they are designed just like the stock headers. It looks like they just copied and pasted the factory design. The collector at the end before the cat does not seem as efficient as the other aftermarket designs available. These are my non-engineer observations (aka my .02 cents).
Klines headers not being “long tube” was also a concern of mine and I also really liked that fabspeed is the only manufacturer that has replaceable cats. How was the fit and finish/ install of your fabspeed headers?
Old 10-07-2021, 10:05 AM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcmer22
Klines headers not being “long tube” was also a concern of mine and I also really liked that fabspeed is the only manufacturer that has replaceable cats. How was the fit and finish/ install of your fabspeed headers?
excellent fitment! i had my headers ceramic coated with Cerakote Glacier Titanium (not the cats).

The following 2 users liked this post by 2PUTT:
Alpha Ice (10-07-2021), jcmer22 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:39 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

excellent fitment! i had my headers ceramic coated with Cerakote Glacier Titanium (not the cats).

I personally really love that you have the option of swapping the cat out for their straight pipe, so you can have the extra power when you want, and a bit different tone, or a bit more CARB friendliness when you want it. I realize these still may not pass CARB standards even with the Cat, but it's a cool concept that I haven't seen any manufacturers do, or at least not as publicly stated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Fabspeed Motorsport (10-08-2021), jcmer22 (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:29 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
I personally really love that you have the option of swapping the cat out for their straight pipe, so you can have the extra power when you want, and a bit different tone, or a bit more CARB friendliness when you want it. I realize these still may not pass CARB standards even with the Cat, but it's a cool concept that I haven't seen any manufacturers do, or at least not as publicly stated.
This design was originally offered by Cargraphic on the 981 GT4.......for some reason it's not available on the 718
Alpha Ice (10-08-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Do they offer just the cats in case one craps out? If so, cost?

Last edited by Bob Z.; 10-07-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2021, 01:37 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Do you offer just the cats in case one craps out? If so, cost?
you will have to check with Fabspeed for availability and/or pricing...
the headers have a lifetime warranty. not sure if the cats are included with the warranty or if they fall under the HJS warranty.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:37 AM
kev718gts4.0

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by YMGT4
I just finished installing my Dundon today and there's one minor problem I'm wondering if others have it as well. Under normal driving with the valve 100% opened or closed (I have the CG valve controller), there's a high frequency metallic sound that sounds like the valve is ticking at a high frequency due to airflow except it isn't the valve. I also checked it's not the sound of air leaking. It happens at normal daily driving while accelerating under load below 2500rpm, the sound is completely gone at higher rpm. Is this the same ticking noise when the car is stock and it sounds different because the equal length header changes its pitch and how it sounds? This sound isn't that noticeable and annoying, I'm just worried if there's something wrong with my car.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:43 AM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kev718gts4.0
I just finished installing my Dundon today and there's one minor problem I'm wondering if others have it as well. Under normal driving with the valve 100% opened or closed (I have the CG valve controller), there's a high frequency metallic sound that sounds like the valve is ticking at a high frequency due to airflow except it isn't the valve. I also checked it's not the sound of air leaking. It happens at normal daily driving while accelerating under load below 2500rpm, the sound is completely gone at higher rpm. Is this the same ticking noise when the car is stock and it sounds different because the equal length header changes its pitch and how it sounds? This sound isn't that noticeable and annoying, I'm just worried if there's something wrong with my car.
I haven't really looked at the system, but on their 991 headers, spring are used between the header and the cat. On my car the springs were vibrating around that rpm. Have you ruled that out assuming they use springs on the 982?

Quick Reply: Best performing “street” headers