Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Yellow manual shift knob same as GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021 | 10:57 AM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out! While I wait to get one I put in a FF **** to hold me over:
Nice! Looks good! Did you also order the GT3 ****? I was told they're on back order with a 3-4 week lead time.
Old 09-27-2021 | 11:04 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
Nice! Looks good! Did you also order the GT3 ****? I was told they're on back order with a 3-4 week lead time.
No, I have someone fairly local to me that is getting a GT3 next month or so and he is thinking about swapping it out so I will wait to see if I can get his first.
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:09 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No, I have someone fairly local to me that is getting a GT3 next month or so and he is thinking about swapping it out so I will wait to see if I can get his first.
You bugger (in a good way!), nice if you can make this happen, I was just checking in to see if you had ordered it, I want to proceed but as this would be a special order it is non-returnable... now I wait to have you do the first test fitting!
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
You bugger (in a good way!), nice if you can make this happen, I was just checking in to see if you had ordered it, I want to proceed but as this would be a special order it is non-returnable... now I wait to have you do the first test fitting!
Ha! His car will not be here until Dec. and then he needs to get a CF one from DB Carbon before he lets me buy his so it could be a while, if at all! Function First said they are the same and Suncoast told him the same so we are confident it will work.
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:47 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ha! His car will not be here until Dec. and then he needs to get a CF one from DB Carbon before he lets me buy his so it could be a while, if at all! Function First said they are the same and Suncoast told him the same so we are confident it will work.
ahhh crap, it is well over $700 here so I was hoping for first hand confirmation. OK, next time I am at the dealer I will make a decision, every time I see that first picture you posted I get weak!
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

ahhh crap, it is well over $700 here so I was hoping for first hand confirmation. OK, next time I am at the dealer I will make a decision, every time I see that first picture you posted I get weak!
I feel the same...that **** is junk (what my 18-year-old nephew says is the new term). I like my new Function First one but the Yellow GT3 is OEM and much better looking! Based on what I learned it will fit since the shaft is the same - FF would know since they are making 992 shift *****.
Old 10-06-2021 | 05:56 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I feel the same...that **** is junk (what my 18-year-old nephew says is the new term). I like my new Function First one but the Yellow GT3 is OEM and much better looking! Based on what I learned it will fit since the shaft is the same - FF would know since they are making 992 shift *****.
Good to know...
Old 10-08-2021 | 12:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@Bob Z. Do you know if any of the online parts sites have pictures that go with the parts, I seem to have a picture with the blue stitching and don't where I found it... I wish I had the PET page for these for the GT3 so I could see the descriptions too.

thanks!

Old 10-08-2021 | 12:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

@Bob Z. Do you know if any of the online parts sites have pictures that go with the parts, I seem to have a picture with the blue stitching and don't where I found it... I wish I had the PET page for these for the GT3 so I could see the descriptions too.

thanks!
No, but I posted the part#s for each of the colors in Post #43. You can try Google Images but the colors are ones that are pretty common so you can see what the thread colors look like on other interior items if need be.
Old 10-28-2021 | 06:22 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default And we have a winner!

I can now confirm that the GT3 shift **** does indeed fit the 718, but the GT3 boot and its frame however are not compatible, which we already suspected.

A word of caution, the clips on the **** and the collar are all plastic, nothing needs to be forced and I suspect that if you break any one of them you may have to order the entire assembly again.
But beyond this the installation is relatively straight forward, remove the original 718 **** and boot from the car, remove the ***** from each assembly and reinstall the GT3 **** on the 718 boot then install the hybrid assembly back into your 718.

Here is the completed install and some pictures showing the relative differences. Size and shape are pretty much identical, weight too, the feel in the hand is slightly different as there is no faux metal on the rear facing side so it isn't as slippery.

Lookin good!

GT3 boot on left, 718 boot on right

GT3 left, 718 right, completely different mounting frame and clip locations

Basic structure is identical

Race Tex all of the way around on the GT3 ****, no shiny aluminum (like?) material

Top detail, I note the original **** is already a little matted down.
The following 2 users liked this post by Westcoast:
nothingman (10-28-2021), UncleDude (10-28-2021)
Old 10-28-2021 | 06:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Nice! Now I am really getting the leather one in December! And I told you it would fit!
Old 10-28-2021 | 06:36 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Nice! Now I am really getting the leather one in December! And I told you it would fit!
Crikey, you are quick on these posts, two for one just like that! Yep, fits like it was meant to be...
Old 10-28-2021 | 07:31 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Looks great! I suspect I will be asking for a leather black/silver **** for Christmas. Can do the install same time as the GT4 short shifter I want...
Old 10-29-2021 | 01:54 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nothingman
I went ahead and ordered all the parts I listed above to convert my PDK to the 992 GT3 PDK **** with the GT4 manual shift boot. I’ll make a new post with photos once it arrives to let everyone know if it works.
When I picked up the GT3 shift **** for the Spyder, I noticed a brand new GT3 waiting for PDI... the interior shot is poor but from what I could see the shifter is

Old 10-29-2021 | 04:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

SUNCOAST PARTS
GT3 Shift **** - Race-Tex : Suncoast Porsche Parts & Accessories (suncoastparts.com)

Quick Reply: GT4 Yellow manual shift knob same as GT3?