Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Opti-Coat Pro 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 10:32 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Default Opti-Coat Pro 3

Does anybody have experience with Opti-Coat Pro 3? Any opinions?
  1. Because it is 10 microns thick on top of the clear coat, would it be enough to leave off the paint protection film?
  2. The website doesn’t mention it, but can it sit on top of PPF like other ceramics?
Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Ceramics are good for non-impact protection like bird droppings, ease of cleaning and appearance. Ceramic will not help with impact damage.

Get both.

Most ceramics are PPF safe, but ask the install shop to be sure.

The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 12:10 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 667 Posts

Go with Owners Pride. It's amazing as a product. I had 4 cars coated with Opti-Coat and now have 3 with Owner's Pride and OP is hands down a way better product. The wash/maintenance products are WAY nicer than Opti-Coat too.

BTW Owner's Pride was started by a guy who left Opti-Coat and started his own company.

You still want PPF, at least in impact areas. Put ceramic coating on TOP of the PPF. Protects the PPF from stains from bugs and stuff, same as it does paint.

Last edited by Nickshu; 09-12-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I use OptiCoat Pro Plus. It’s fantastic. But it’s not PPF. No coating will give you that protection.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:11 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Thanks all, just checking.The Opti-coat Pro 3 has a lifetime warranty, but can't see the point of it since the PPF won't last that long. There really doesn't seem to be an advantage to spend the extra bucks for it.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

If you’re doing PPF, before you do a coating, I would try using BeadMaker Pro after you wash and see if that gives you enough benefit. It won’t be the same as having a coating also, but it should make it easier to clean the car.
pcarGTS4.0 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 03:43 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If you’re doing PPF, before you do a coating, I would try using BeadMaker Pro after you wash and see if that gives you enough benefit. It won’t be the same as having a coating also, but it should make it easier to clean the car.
Thanks kindly. I think for this monotone paint it's going to be more about bringing out the luster. What I planned to do is paint correction, PPF and ceramic. I am picking the car up in Orlando and driving it back to Delaware, and I had asked for good installers from Rennlist members. One of those recommended installers uses this Option-coat Pro 3 and I had not heard about it, so I was trying to get a handle on what was the advantage, if any.

I thought if this Pro 3 was hard enough, it might be okay to use without the PPF. I really don't like wrapping my car in plastic, but I also hate seeing stone chips. I did PPF on most of my 992 and some edges were already showing after 8 months. More covered surface areas on the car means more edges where the wrap can come loose. BTW - I used a premier in$taller that took the car apart to apply it. So I might just do the front (no headlamps), windshield frame, and rockers, and do the Pro 3 on the entire car and rims. When the PPF needs replaced, I'll just need to coat it again. I am also thinking to go with precut instead of having the car taken apart.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Note, what I was referring to was OptiCoat. Not sure if that’s the same as what you mentioned.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:08 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks kindly. I think for this monotone paint it's going to be more about bringing out the luster. What I planned to do is paint correction, PPF and ceramic. I am picking the car up in Orlando and driving it back to Delaware, and I had asked for good installers from Rennlist members. One of those recommended installers uses this Option-coat Pro 3 and I had not heard about it, so I was trying to get a handle on what was the advantage, if any.

I thought if this Pro 3 was hard enough, it might be okay to use without the PPF. I really don't like wrapping my car in plastic, but I also hate seeing stone chips. I did PPF on most of my 992 and some edges were already showing after 8 months. More covered surface areas on the car means more edges where the wrap can come loose. BTW - I used a premier in$taller that took the car apart to apply it. So I might just do the front (no headlamps), windshield frame, and rockers, and do the Pro 3 on the entire car and rims. When the PPF needs replaced, I'll just need to coat it again. I am also thinking to go with precut instead of having the car taken apart.
That sounds like a good idea Dan and yes, stick with just the frontal areas for PPF, like I had done to my Spyder, followed by ceramic coat all over. The Suntek PPF I have used on my last 3 vehicles cannot be seen and with Opti Coat Pro it makes for easy cleaning, all for about $3k.
Dan Nagy (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 08:41 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
That sounds like a good idea Dan and yes, stick with just the frontal areas for PPF, like I had done to my Spyder, followed by ceramic coat all over. The Suntek PPF I have used on my last 3 vehicles cannot be seen and with Opti Coat Pro it makes for easy cleaning, all for about $3k.
Thanks Bob. It was your installers website that I referenced… looks like a great shop and not too far for me to drive it over.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:50 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Thanks Bob. It was your installers website that I referenced… looks like a great shop and not too far for me to drive it over.
On my last P-car, the Targa GTS, he used precut pieces; however, after 2 1/2 years none of the edges had any problems...he is a great installer and there is no one I trust more to leave my vehicles with.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:46 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Just get Suntek Reaction and top it with something like Kamikaze Overcoat.

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat Pro 3