Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is "purchase, to immediate-storage" bad for the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:50 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Haros
This is depressing me!
I’m driving my 4.0 until they salt the roads!
Yup. Same here. I drive until the first salting. Then into storage she goes. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin N-spec on aftermarket wheels, not for snow, but so I can drive without fear in colder temps.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

No issue with parking it right after you get it. I store before it salts until after a heavy rain in the spring. While you can definitely drive on dry days, there’s always lots of residual salt and I prefer to not have to wash when It’s in the 30s/40s. Personal preference. No right or wrong answer.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:50 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
No issue with parking it right after you get it. I store before it salts until after a heavy rain in the spring. While you can definitely drive on dry days, there’s always lots of residual salt and I prefer to not have to wash when It’s in the 30s/40s. Personal preference. No right or wrong answer.
That's how I do it with cars I plan to keep 'forever'. That salt takes a good rainstorm or 2 to get rid of and it gets everywhere in a car so just washing it doesn't really work imo.

I do about half of that Porsche storage list, but a lot of it IMO is not necessary for my house, or only storing for 8 months. I fill the tank full, and I remove the battery (had a battery leak over winter once and ruined the car in my eyes so while a trickle charger should be fine, removing the battery is better). I don't worry about rodents and I keep the car sealed instead of cracking a window to prevent dust build up in it (I have no worries about moisture in my garage). I also take the wheels off and store those in the house, and put an extra set of rims with winter tires or allseasons on it for parking, which IMO is necessary if you want michelins to last more than a winter, but I generally end up with a huge selection of rims and tires for each car I own so why not.

As for problems storing a new car, some people have issues. Lot rot was a real thing at dealerships. cars 'broke' just sitting, but that was only noticeable because you have hundreds of cars on the lot so it may have seemed common but in reality it wasn't. And it was usually something electronic, or just a code in the computer, and often was probably a result of some salesman boosting it wrong.

Quick Reply: Is "purchase, to immediate-storage" bad for the car?