Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Assembly line photo book arrived

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021 | 01:18 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by halfmonkey

Call it obsessed or maybe call it trying to kill time while I was waiting for my car......Doing the spreadsheet and gathering things to include in my build book was actually fun. The kids every now and again would sit with me to look at it. My wife would just shake her head.
Ha! I was actually going to use the word “obsessed” in my post, I actually went to thesaurus.com to look up a different word, but declined to use it.
You are obsessed, my friend… And PLEASE take it as a compliment!
Old 09-09-2021 | 03:12 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

$1800 isn't cheap, but think about how much people spend on wedding photographers. Both are documenting a special occassion that you want to remember forever (personally, I'd spend $1800 on this way before I'd spend $1800 on a wedding photographer. Cell phone pics from my wedding day were fine with me!).
The following 2 users liked this post by nobbyv:
dnimi123 (09-09-2021), Last_935 (09-10-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 03:33 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Ha! I was actually going to use the word “obsessed” in my post, I actually went to thesaurus.com to look up a different word, but declined to use it.
You are obsessed, my friend… And PLEASE take it as a compliment!
It's all good. I don't take any offense as it's been a fun exercise for me. It helped me pass the time waiting for the car too and gives me something to look back on in the future.

My middle son has always been into cars so it's been easy for us to connect and talk about the car. My oldest son didn't care for cars at all but when I got the car and took him for his ride with the top down, he actually had this big grin on his face and said it was fun. He loves Mini's and on our first drive, we saw this girl in a Mini Cooper and at the red light, she dropped the top. He looked at me and said I want a convertible now. Then when we got home, I mentioned to my kids that I have a racing game (Gran Tursimo) for the PS4 that they could use on the PS5. My middle son played it a little but then my oldest son gets on and has been playing it and likes it now. He now wants me to get the steering wheel and racing seat set up.

My son isn't even close to my level of "obsession" with the car but he's enjoying it with me and if it gives me another way to connect with my kids, I'm all for it.
Originally Posted by nobbyv
$1800 isn't cheap, but think about how much people spend on wedding photographers. Both are documenting a special occassion that you want to remember forever (personally, I'd spend $1800 on this way before I'd spend $1800 on a wedding photographer. Cell phone pics from my wedding day were fine with me!).
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
Last_935 (09-10-2021), SpeedySpidey (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 07:52 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

That’s very cool, thanks for sharing that and congrats. I think it’s money well spent if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

What’s with the orange? Maybe I overlooked the context. Is that just a line worker hamming it up for the photo session?

You’ve kind of ruined it for me now though… I always pictured all the workers wearing matching branded Lederhosen and Porsche Design Model 5600 goggles.
Old 09-09-2021 | 08:14 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
That’s very cool, thanks for sharing that and congrats. I think it’s money well spent if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

What’s with the orange? Maybe I overlooked the context. Is that just a line worker hamming it up for the photo session?

You’ve kind of ruined it for me now though… I always pictured all the workers wearing matching branded Lederhosen and Porsche Design Model 5600 goggles.
I put the orange there to cover up my VIN. The photographer took a picture of the dash VIN and I prefer to not share that with the world.

Thanks. I do plan to keep the car for a long time so hopefully this will age well when I pull it out many years down the road.

The assembly line looks very clean and tidy. I guess that's to be expected with all assembly lines today vs back in the old days of tools laying all over the place. Funny on visual.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 11:34 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

very cool, not $1800 cool for me, but very cool! Thank you for sharing...
halfmonkey (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 06:14 AM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Pretty darn cool!
halfmonkey (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 07:21 AM
jake18
Instructor

Besides the cool door sills, what other CXX did you get?
Old 09-10-2021 | 11:19 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@halfmonkey Very cool nice to see! Yes, expensive but worth it.

I asked for this back in 2019 when my order went in and was told at this time it wasn't being done, it was still early in Covid-19 pandemic and only essential personnel could be in the assembly area.
halfmonkey (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021 | 12:04 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
very cool, not $1800 cool for me, but very cool! Thank you for sharing...
Yes, $1800 is a tough pill to swallow for a photobook but we figured, we're keeping the car forever so spread the cost out annually and it's not really a big deal in the big scheme of things. It will be a nice keepsake after many years down the road.
Originally Posted by 808c2s
Pretty darn cool!
Thank you.
Originally Posted by jake18
Besides the cool door sills, what other CXX did you get?
I got the seat inserts in black/silver Pepita with the center arm rest top covered in the same material. I also got seat piping in gt silver to match the interior stitching.
Originally Posted by Westcoast
@halfmonkey Very cool nice to see! Yes, expensive but worth it.

I asked for this back in 2019 when my order went in and was told at this time it wasn't being done, it was still early in Covid-19 pandemic and only essential personnel could be in the assembly area.
It definitely is worth it as the car is only built once. It seems I got lucky with the timing but it almost didn't happen as the photographer passed away and PAG was trying to figure out how to acquire the pictures from her laptop. It seems her family was kind enough to provide the laptop for PAG to go through and look for the pictures.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 09-10-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-11-2021 | 07:59 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Originally Posted by nobbyv
You are a lucky man if your wife is ok with that. Mine got whatever she wanted for the wedding. If it were all up to me, I would put all that money away towards a house and skip the whole wedding thing.

It is easier to let her buy whatever she wants. Then I can get whatever I want. Trust me on this one. Coming from a guy who is married for more than 20 years to the same woman.

Happy wife, happy life!
Old 10-03-2021 | 05:35 PM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Yes, $1800 is a tough pill to swallow for a photobook but we figured, we're keeping the car forever so spread the cost out annually and it's not really a big deal in the big scheme of things. It will be a nice keepsake after many years down the road.

Thank you.
HalfMonkey, I just got an allocation for a 2022 718 Spyder with PTS, build in February. I would love to have a book of my car assembly if PAG find a new photographer. Do you have a web site, email or phone number to order that book if available?
Old 10-03-2021 | 07:17 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Borg1of5
HalfMonkey, I just got an allocation for a 2022 718 Spyder with PTS, build in February. I would love to have a book of my car assembly if PAG find a new photographer. Do you have a web site, email or phone number to order that book if available?
I've only been communicating via email and they haven't been super responsive as I think they're trying to regroup and I even heard from another thread that PAG may be possibly restructuring the whole process. Not sure what that means but people have reported that they've been told no photobook until at least maybe 2022. There is a form you use and I got it from my SA. The SA is actually not involved in the process at all except providing the form. You deal directly with PAG. You can try photobook@porsche.de as that's where all of the emails were coming from. Good luck and congrats on the PTS.
Old 01-25-2022 | 09:10 AM
Borg1of5
Instructor

Just got an email, assembly line photo book still not available, maybe later in the year. I’m missing out with my February build. Good luck for those later build.
Old 04-08-2022 | 06:59 PM
998R
Instructor

Originally Posted by 998R
Hi,

Do you mind me asking the build date if your car? I ordered this book with mine and it hasn’t arrived yet (the book not the car)….

Thanks,
Harry.
Hi All,

The photo book finally arrived, quite a delay after the death of the photographer arriving 9 months after delivery of my car.

Cheers,
Harry.

The following 5 users liked this post by 998R:
4S Leistung (04-08-2022), DR.S (05-25-2023), halfmonkey (05-23-2023), slilley (04-09-2022), tigerhonaker (04-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Assembly line photo book arrived