Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Climate control panel in leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:17 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts
Default Climate control panel in leather

I was just messing around with the configurator and noticed that there's an option to make the climate control panel in leather. Don't know if this was always there and I skipped over it or if this is new but I can't say that I've heard anybody mentioning that they ordered this on their builds. Curious to see what this looks like IRL. If you have this option, would you mind posting a picture to share. Wondering if it would also include deviated stitching? The picture on the configurator shows just leather and no stitching but we all know that we can't trust the depictions on the configurator 100%.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:43 PM
BrettPorsche
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

My previous car had it. Subtle, right? I avoided it in my new car, seems like a waste of money.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:54 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

I think it goes really well with having the gear surround trim in leather (as in that photo). Otherwise, yeah, pretty subtle.

I think it also only works with black leather. I have seen pictures of the climate control trim in colored leather (or painted plastic) and IMO it looks terrible because the buttons remain black.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:02 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

It's interesting that Porsche gives you the option to have the climate control panel in leather or matched paint but not in something else like carbon fiber or one of the aluminum options. Personally, if I were to select the leather option, I would want a little deviated stitching on it to make it stand out a little. Otherwise, the black leather would just look like black plastic to the untrained eye upon a quick glance.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:19 PM
BrettPorsche
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

It didn’t really feel like leather to me. The black plastic climate control matches the radio so I think the center stack blends either way.

anyway that’s what you get with that option
Old 09-08-2021, 07:42 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Similar idea to match painted centre console if you wishes.

Just a continuation of the centre console trim.

Slightly more useful than fuse box cover/ dash end cap in leather IMO. At least you can touch it and easily see it while driving.

Part of the full cow package if you are adverse to touching unfinished hard plastic.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:09 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Works well if you have a non-black duo tone interior like the example above but also paired with the Leather Interior Package which the above seems to have. So Graphite Blue on the centre tunnel and the trim to match along with the HVAC.

Looking at the configurator, there might be an error. I loaded a Black and Red full leather interior, added Leather Interior Package and the dash trims went to red and the console as well. It's my understanding that it should show black on the console, or in the case above, Graphite Blue.

Speaking of leather bits, when I ordered my 2020 718 there was an option for the seat belt buckles to be leather wrapped which was dropped due to what I assume was a lack of uptake.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:42 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Works well if you have a non-black duo tone interior like the example above but also paired with the Leather Interior Package which the above seems to have. So Graphite Blue on the centre tunnel and the trim to match along with the HVAC.

Looking at the configurator, there might be an error. I loaded a Black and Red full leather interior, added Leather Interior Package and the dash trims went to red and the console as well. It's my understanding that it should show black on the console, or in the case above, Graphite Blue.

Speaking of leather bits, when I ordered my 2020 718 there was an option for the seat belt buckles to be leather wrapped which was dropped due to what I assume was a lack of uptake.
I didn't even know doing something like this was possible. Would you by chance have any pictures to share?
Old 09-08-2021, 05:54 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I didn't even know doing something like this was possible. Would you by chance have any pictures to share?
Funny enough I did a google search and came up empty. I am 99% positive it was an option as I was about to tick it! However, I started with the premise of building a min spec and ended up going crazy with the options. I'll ask my SA if they have a pic. Something tells me their commissioning room had one in the display case.

Stay tuned.

Update: Found a 2018 price list and it shows this but not sure how to attach it here so hopefully this link works.
2018 718 Price List
Some interesting things there in how the offering has changed since then.

Last edited by CurbKiller; 09-08-2021 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 09-08-2021, 11:47 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,044 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Funny enough I did a google search and came up empty. I am 99% positive it was an option as I was about to tick it! However, I started with the premise of building a min spec and ended up going crazy with the options. I'll ask my SA if they have a pic. Something tells me their commissioning room had one in the display case.

Stay tuned.

Update: Found a 2018 price list and it shows this but not sure how to attach it here so hopefully this link works.
2018 718 Price List
Some interesting things there in how the offering has changed since then.
I am not aware of belt buckle itself in leather.

IIRC, there used to be an option to have the seat belt outlet on the B pillar in leather.

Something like this
http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/Leat...97-997L13B.htm

Last edited by Dyim; 09-08-2021 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 09-09-2021, 02:32 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dyim
I am not aware of belt buckle itself in leather.

IIRC, there used to be an option to have the seat belt outlet on the B pillar in leather.

Something like this
http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/Leat...97-997L13B.htm
It's in the PDF download link I shared. It was offered but to popular so they removed it. Was on the 991 as well.

P
Old 09-10-2021, 08:58 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 122 Posts

The more leather surfaces you have inside the car, the more likely someone will wipe greasy all purpose cleaner all over it. Unless you always do your own cleanings or always go to the high end detailer, think about that. I’ve seen many leather wrapped dashes that look terrible because of incorrect products.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:36 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2seats
The more leather surfaces you have inside the car, the more likely someone will wipe greasy all purpose cleaner all over it. Unless you always do your own cleanings or always go to the high end detailer, think about that. I’ve seen many leather wrapped dashes that look terrible because of incorrect products.
I don't let anybody touch my car unless I'm bringing it in for service or back to Moe for touch ups. Even when I brought in my car for service, I actually made a sign that said to NOT wash my car. I had it laminated and put it on the dash so there was no question that I don't want anybody washing my car. I'll put in the effort to care for my car so not worried about someone using the wrong detailing solution on the car since they're not supposed to be touching my car in the first place.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:04 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

I was just messing around with the configurator and noticed that there's an option to make the climate control panel in leather. Don't know if this was always there and I skipped over it or if this is new but I can't say that I've heard anybody mentioning that they ordered this on their builds. Curious to see what this looks like IRL. If you have this option, would you mind posting a picture to share. Wondering if it would also include deviated stitching? The picture on the configurator shows just leather and no stitching but we all know that we can't trust the depictions on the configurator 100%.
let me know if you’d like it done…we’ll make it happen 👍
Old 09-11-2021, 12:16 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Originally Posted by 2seats
Who’s this “someone” that’s wiping “greasy all purpose cleaner” on your leather dash?

You taking your car to the $5 wash tub downtown?

Quick Reply: Climate control panel in leather