Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS 4.0 Delivery Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 10:25 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I might be an outlier here, but I don't mind the auto stop start. I won't use it all the time, but I can see it having its place. I think it is a shame they combined the cylinder deactivation with that button. I find in city driving, the cylinders switch off very quickly making the car sound lousy and unresponsive. On a highway cruise, I might tolerate it for a bit, but not in traffic.

I have a bit of a rattle coming from the back hatch area. I've taken out the cover, and that didn't help. I've asked 3 guys I know about their back up cameras and they all wiggle a bit which is odd - you'd think they'd be snug. I'm going to put painters tape on that and try again, and I've also replaced the license plate holder with a silicone version, so it isn't that. Tired the filler caps too, they seem tight. With my engine coming in and out, I did worry there'd be a chance that something might be a bit loose. If can't figure it out, I'll have to take it in.

Great car! 1100 km's so far. I ended up getting the PPF track like this, with a ceramic top coat.

Glad to see you're enjoying your car. I would recommend you consider doing the windshield as well since our cars are so low. It won't 100% prevent any chips but it'll help at least with the pitting and some rock impacts.

With all due respect, I will have to disagree with you on the A.S.S. I don't like it and disable it every time I get in the car. I've heard many people reporting that when it's active, it sounds like something is wrong with the engine. I personally don't know the sound and I'm not worried about saving a few drops of gas here and there. I'm actually getting about 24 mpg on average. I don't know what that translates to for our neighbors up north but that's respectable for a 414hp car IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (09-10-2021), tigerhonaker (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 10:31 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Speaking of ***…
I tried it once on the highway just to see what cylinder deactivation was like. The result was like living inside an out of tune tuba. Once and done.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:38 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Glad to see you're enjoying your car. I would recommend you consider doing the windshield as well since our cars are so low. It won't 100% prevent any chips but it'll help at least with the pitting and some rock impacts.

With all due respect, I will have to disagree with you on the A.S.S. I don't like it and disable it every time I get in the car. I've heard many people reporting that when it's active, it sounds like something is wrong with the engine. I personally don't know the sound and I'm not worried about saving a few drops of gas here and there. I'm actually getting about 24 mpg on average. I don't know what that translates to for our neighbors up north but that's respectable for a 414hp car IMO.
Are you confusing the cylinder deactivation with the stop start? Stopping the engine at a long light doesn’t really bother me, and like I said I won’t use it all the time. I just wish the functions weren’t tied together.

Oh, and you should try the cylinder deactivation at least once!, then you won’t have to take other’s word for it.

Last edited by UncleDude; 09-10-2021 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Are you confusing the cylinder deactivation with the stop start? Stopping the engine at a long light doesn’t really bother me, and like I said I won’t use it all the time. I just wish the functions weren’t tied together.

Oh, and you should try the cylinder deactivation at least once!, then you won’t have to take other’s word for it.
Isn't it tied together, at least on the Spyder and GT4? It's my understanding that by pressing the A.S.S. button, I'm deactivating the auto-start/stop and cylinder deactivation.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:55 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Isn't it tied together, at least on the Spyder and GT4? It's my understanding that by pressing the A.S.S. button, I'm deactivating the auto-start/stop and cylinder deactivation.
They are tied together. You’re posts are confusing - stop start doesn’t make the engine sound odd, it simply shuts it off. Cylinder deactivation makes it sound odd and drone, both are activated or deactivated by the same button, I wish they were not.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:26 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

They are tied together. You’re posts are confusing - stop start doesn’t make the engine sound odd, it simply shuts it off. Cylinder deactivation makes it sound odd and drone, both are activated or deactivated by the same button, I wish they were not.
I'm sorry if my post is confusing but I'm pretty sure I'm saying the same thing as you.

When I get in the car, I literally push the A.S.S. first because I want to turn off the auto-start/stop feature along with disabling the cylinder deactivation feature and yes, I know that the cylinder deactivation feature is what makes the engine sounds not right as it's basically firing on 3 banks rotating between the left and right side.

No matter, I love driving the car with full power all of the time. No need to give into epa and fuel economy concerns when you buy a sports car such as these wonderful machines.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 09-11-2021 at 03:27 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (09-11-2021), tigerhonaker (09-11-2021), UncleDude (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't have the car yet, but I'm with @uncle dude, I think it would be nice to have that ferocious start around town at stop lights and such... But still retaining the function to keep the cylinder banks running all the time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
PaulHig (09-11-2021), UncleDude (09-11-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

We’ll, I’m through the break in. It took me about a month with some long drives mixed in.

They honeymoon continues! I took it up to 6000 rpm today. Wow, it is a different machine up there.

I will probably mount the winter set in a few weeks. I think the exhaust has changed a bit as well in the last few weeks, which makes me glad I’m giving that setup a proper run before contemplating a rear section change.

Amazing car. I feel fortunate to to have it.

Cleaned!

End of Highway 101

Hips

Wasp

Ferry shot, cQuatz Pro coating

Garage lighting.

Puppy came at the same time 😂
The following 15 users liked this post by UncleDude:
5Zigen (09-29-2021), Alpha Ice (09-29-2021), jake18 (09-29-2021), Jeff Jones (09-29-2021), leaf345 (09-29-2021), needmoregarage (09-29-2021), nothingman (09-30-2021), P-car-Vancouver (09-29-2021), Paiceyfan (09-29-2021), Randy_B (09-29-2021), slilley (09-29-2021), sonicworld (09-29-2021), tigerhonaker (09-29-2021), ttcbj (09-29-2021), Westcoast (09-29-2021) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2021, 12:47 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Question

UncleDude,

Man LOVE all the pictures you shared buddy.

And not to overlook the following comment you made on the Stock-Exhaust-System.

I think the exhaust has changed a bit as well in the last few weeks, which makes me glad I’m giving that setup a proper run before contemplating a rear section change.
You might recall I am one of the Rennlist members that's not changing from the Stock-Exhaust.
So I read comments like your's above ^^^ multiple times as it got my immediate ATTENTION.
I realize you don't have the GT4 but you do have the 4.0 engine and maybe the same exhaust system as the GT4 (Not-Sure) ???

Below is a Priceless picture of you guys doing your thing.

I'm glad you are already through the Break-in-Miles and have now taken it to Plus 6,000 RPM.

Do you mind saying what Miles (USA guy here so Miles I can relate to) and RPM you kept your's at while doing the Break-in ???

Hang-tough,
Terry

Old 09-29-2021, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I'm sorry if my post is confusing but I'm pretty sure I'm saying the same thing as you.

When I get in the car, I literally push the A.S.S. first because I want to turn off the auto-start/stop feature along with disabling the cylinder deactivation feature and yes, I know that the cylinder deactivation feature is what makes the engine sounds not right as it's basically firing on 3 banks rotating between the left and right side.

No matter, I love driving the car with full power all of the time. No need to give into epa and fuel economy concerns when you buy a sports car such as these wonderful machines.
install a T-Design module ... no need to push anything...
Old 09-29-2021, 01:11 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

I think I'm just as excited for the break in procedure and road trips to come from breakin...I've also purchased some rear wheels so I can repurpose the winter wheels/tires from my Panamera. They were the Sport 4 Edition, I just don't think I can drive it for a couple weeks here in MN and then have to store it. I'm sure I could find a comfortable sleeping position some nights, but it wouldn't be the same without the engine running! Glad to see you getting it out and snapping some pics along the way!

I already have the JCR Manifolds in my possession and I'm soon to have the FabSpeed rear section to be delivered. All the more reason why getting through the first 1400 miles using AP's break-in method will be critical. Great to see these, and I'm glad you're loving the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by Alpha Ice:
Fabspeed Motorsport (09-30-2021), UncleDude (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 03:02 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, we're really enjoying the car and the people who know us well know how hard we've worked for it. Terry, I basically decided to take it easy for 3000 km's (1860 miles) and keep it under 4000 RPM. I didn't find that to be too difficult to be honest, and I did take it up to 5000 4-5 times after I passed 2000 km's. I did a few long trips and got to some high speeds, and did some city driving up and down hills as advised, and basically just tried to give it a big variety.

This is my first Porsche, so flooring it to red line as the first order of business wasn't really on my mind. Hell, even 6000 RPM kind of blew my mind LOL, so I'll continue to ease into it and find the right time to take it to the top. I also want to take it to the track but that'll need to wait until next year now.

Regarding the exhaust, I get the criticisms it receives. I think it sounds pretty good to be honest, but I think at some point I want to hear a real x-pipe on the rear section. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by UncleDude; 09-29-2021 at 03:07 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by UncleDude:
Alpha Ice (09-30-2021), leaf345 (09-29-2021), needmoregarage (09-29-2021), nothingman (09-30-2021), P-car-Vancouver (09-29-2021), tigerhonaker (09-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:00 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 833 Posts
Thanks guys, we're really enjoying the car and the people who know us well know how hard we've worked for it. Terry, I basically decided to take it easy for 3000 km's (1860 miles) and keep it under 4000 RPM. I didn't find that to be too difficult to be honest, and I did take it up to 5000 4-5 times after I passed 2000 km's. I did a few long trips and got to some high speeds, and did some city driving up and down hills as advised, and basically just tried to give it a big variety.

This is my first Porsche, so flooring it to red line as the first order of business wasn't really on my mind. Hell, even 6000 RPM kind of blew my mind LOL, so I'll continue to ease into it and find the right time to take it to the top. I also want to take it to the track but that'll need to wait until next year now.

Regarding the exhaust, I get the criticisms it receives. I think it sounds pretty good to be honest, but I think at some point I want to hear a real x-pipe on the rear section. We'll see how it goes.
UncleDude,

Terry, I basically decided to take it easy for 3000 km's (1860 miles) and keep it under 4000 RPM.
I didn't find that to be too difficult to be honest, and I did take it up to 5000 4-5 times after I passed 2000 km's.
I did a few long trips and got to some high speeds, and did some city driving up and down hills as advised, and basically just tried to give it a big variety.
Thanks for the additional information.
I'm going to make an effort to do the 2K miles Porsche Break-in-Miles.

Terry
P-car-Vancouver (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:41 AM
Randy_B
Pro

Received 566 Likes on 255 Posts

Your car looks great, UncleDude! I gravitate towards the primary colors for some reason and have owned a few yellow cars along with mostly bright red non metallic colors. Was it your car that had the paint on the rear bumper refinished? If so, did they do a good job on it?
P-car-Vancouver (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:47 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

Congrats! I remember the first time I took it up to 6k! I had the biggest **** eating grin on my face for hours!!!

The following 3 users liked this post by rjag2034:
P-car-Vancouver (09-30-2021), tigerhonaker (10-01-2021), UncleDude (09-30-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS 4.0 Delivery Weekend