Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder vs 991 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 02:51 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts
Default 718 Spyder vs 991 GT3 RS

So I am considering swapping into a 718 Spyder, if you have owned a 991 GT3 RS, how would you rate the driving comparison i.e 8 out of 10 (if the GT3 RS is 10) how freely does the PDK 718 Spyder rev to 8k ?
Old 08-14-2021, 04:29 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

The YouTuber Kit's Cars traded in a GT3 for a 718 spyder, I believe. You might contact him. Per his videos, he is pretty pleased with the swap.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
So I am considering swapping into a 718 Spyder, if you have owned a 991 GT3 RS, how would you rate the driving comparison i.e 8 out of 10 (if the GT3 RS is 10) how freely does the PDK 718 Spyder rev to 8k ?
well comparing my 718 Spyder to my 991.2GT3 the GT3 is easily the better handing car on track or on the road ... but the Spyder ticks the open top, 2 seater sports car box ... only a Speedster could top that
Old 08-14-2021, 07:33 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well comparing my 718 Spyder to my 991.2GT3 the GT3 is easily the better handing car on track or on the road ... but the Spyder ticks the open top, 2 seater sports car box ... only a Speedster could top that
I think that was essentially Kit’s take. Convertible people understand.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrift
I think that was essentially Kit’s take. Convertible people understand.
having said that I do not think I would trade in an RS (or a GT3 for that matter) for a Spyder ...
Old 08-14-2021, 08:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Richard I do not know how long you have driven 911's or GT/RS cars vs.mid engined ... Ive driven 911's of various generations since 1998 and GT3's from 2000 until present (but not the 991.1 - as I am a manual guy) ...

the comparision, IMO, is not in regard to the comparative performance characteristics of the respective engines - the HUGE difference is in the handling - while the Spyder is very adept, its not GT3 (so I imagine its less so an RS!)...

frankly I think the rear Macpherson setup lets the Spyder down - along with the movement of the weight (compared to a 911) from the back to the center, the rear end grip particularly from apex to corner exit is simply not in the same league ...

before you do anything you really need to drive a Spyder (or GT4) on a road you are familar with (driving in the RS) ... and do a comparision - I'm not sure what you are prepared to trade off between the two experiences ... carpe diem!

p.s I started a thread back in late Jan/early Feb on the Spyder handing here in the forum - which ended up being a little bit contentious - so you might want to go and find that to see the "wisdom" therein!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 08-14-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 08:29 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Richard I do not know how long you have driven 911's or GT/RS cars vs.mid engined ... Ive driven 911's of various generations since 1998 and GT3's from 2000 until present (but not the 991.1 - as I am a manual guy) ...

the comparision, IMO, is not in regard to the comparative performance characteristics of the respective engines - the HUGE difference is in the handling - while the Spyder is very adept, its not GT3 (so I imagine its less so an RS!)...

frankly I think the rear Macpherson setup lets the Spyder down - along with the movement of the weight (compared to a 911) from the back to the center, the rear end grip particularly from apex to corner exit is simply not in the same league ...

before you do anything you really need to drive a Spyder (or GT4) on a road you are familar with (driving in the RS) ... and do a comparision - I'm not sure what you are prepared to trade off between the two experiences ... carpe diem!

p.s I started a thread back in late Jan/early Feb on the Spyder handing here in the forum - which ended up being a little bit contentious - so you might want to go and find that to see the "wisdom" therein!

While I agree that the strut rear of the GT4/Spyder isn't doing it any favors, it really isn't THAT much of an issue once you get the rear toe links and the 2 degrees per side of toe in.

The bigger delta with regards to traction is mid-engine VS rear-engine. Two totally separate platforms. In the same vain, you should be able to hustle a GT4 around a corner faster do to that mid-engine balance (assuming you have similar alignments and tires).
Old 08-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 538 Posts

And a lot will be dependent on the driver and how she/he adapts to the 2 platforms. I think I’m just as quick in the Smokies in my 981 GT4 as I am in my 991.2 GT3. Looking forward to taking delivery of my 718 GT4 and setting it up like my 981. On a long track like Road America the GT3 would win all day long.
Choice is always good 😄
Old 08-15-2021, 01:35 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

thks for the comments guys, I don't track my GT3 RS and already own a 981 Boxster GTS, the latter being my winter daily driver. Need to do a test drive of course but want to be sure that the 718 Spyder is sufficiently different from my 981 GTS if I am going to own both
Old 08-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

thks for the comments guys, I don't track my GT3 RS and already own a 981 Boxster GTS, the latter being my winter daily driver. Need to do a test drive of course but want to be sure that the 718 Spyder is sufficiently different from my 981 GTS if I am going to own both
Ive never driven a 981 Boxster - but my guess would be that the Spyder is not going to be different to another mid-engined car to be worth it...

if that's your RS in your avatar - I think your "mad" to give that up!
Old 08-15-2021, 03:17 PM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

I have driven both. Current 718 GT4 owner. I always wanted to get others thoughts on mid engine verse rear engine experience. As I learn the mid engine set up coming from years of 911 rear engine characteristics, it’s been easiest for me to explain the mid engine handling is more snappy when it lets loose. Compared to the 911 rear set up that’s more telepathic…..on a pendelum. Maybe that’s just years of bias and my driving style. Is this even on point with your question? Sorry.

As for street use, GT3 way faster. If you’re okay with how big that GT3 is…..😂😱. I’d love one.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driv200
I have driven both. Current 718 GT4 owner. I always wanted to get others thoughts on mid engine verse rear engine experience. As I learn the mid engine set up coming from years of 911 rear engine characteristics, it’s been easiest for me to explain the mid engine handling is more snappy when it lets loose. Compared to the 911 rear set up that’s more telepathic…..on a pendelum. Maybe that’s just years of bias and my driving style. Is this even on point with your question? Sorry.

As for street use, GT3 way faster. If you’re okay with how big that GT3 is…..😂😱. I’d love one.
totally agree, after some 20+ years of 911 driving (18 of those in GT3's) this is exactly my experience also!
Old 08-15-2021, 03:32 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a .2 RS for 2 yr, as well as a .2 GT3 (which I still have)

Got frustrated trying to make my RS any faster than my GT3, also it did not help there was no
"in car" instruction, my GT3 felt more stable to me than the 3RS. I am an intermediate driver...

Highly skilled drivers can easily make the RS faster than a GT3, but not me....

Sold the RS and got a 2021 718GT4. this spring, have about 10 track days/4800 miles on it:

I really miss the extra 100hp of the RS/GT3 particularly that planted rear feel exiting a corner...

The GT4/Spyder with a track alignment, rear toe links, and suspension module is a great and stable (not all agree on this) track car that can cruise but you do need alignment and rear toe links, and suspension module...

It just needs an extra 100hp (hopefully a 4RS will fix some of this delta)

If I had an RS only I would not ever trade it for a Spyder unless you really want that soft top and cruise capability!

As a cruiser the Spyder/GT4 is perfect, with links and suspension module it is so much more comfy on the street than the 3RS was....

My 2 cents....

Tough decision...

The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 03:45 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driv200

Regarding the mid-engine snappy, but less than a front engine platform?

Also regarding the "snappy" of mid-engine when it lets go, as long as you keep the stability control system on, it should catch any errors to keep you from getting out of control, assuming you aren't doing something really stupid. I know the GT4's system is more lenient than other systems, but still should keep you out of trouble.
Old 08-15-2021, 04:01 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
I had a .2 RS for 2 yr, as well as a .2 GT3 (which I still have)

Got frustrated trying to make my RS any faster than my GT3, also it did not help there was no
"in car" instruction, my GT3 felt more stable to me than the 3RS. I am an intermediate driver...

Highly skilled drivers can easily make the RS faster than a GT3, but not me....

Sold the RS and got a 2021 718GT4. this spring, have about 10 track days/4800 miles on it:

I really miss the extra 100hp of the RS/GT3 particularly that planted rear feel exiting a corner...

The GT4/Spyder with a track alignment, rear toe links, and suspension module is a great and stable (not all agree on this) track car that can cruise but you do need alignment and rear toe links, and suspension module...

It just needs an extra 100hp (hopefully a 4RS will fix some of this delta)

If I had an RS only I would not ever trade it for a Spyder unless you really want that soft top and cruise capability!

As a cruiser the Spyder/GT4 is perfect, with links and suspension module it is so much more comfy on the street than the 3RS was....

My 2 cents....

Tough decision...

Yeah. that seems to be the recommended beginning point for the GT4 platform. While it does suck that you have to make some changes out of the box to get the GT4/Spyder "right", at least you CAN get it right with not too much of an expense.

Mine will be getting an aggressive street/track alignment, rear-toe links, and the aero put into its most downforce settings, all within the 1st week of ownership.

I will be skipping the DSC controller though as I have no desire to play with settings and tinker. If I feel the need to alter the damping, I will move straight to Ohlin R/T's. However, I think the stock damping will be just fine for my use, but will re-evaluate after learning the car and spending 6 mths with it.

I am coming into the GT4 from a front engine platform history though, as I have no experience with a rear engine platform.

Last edited by TRZ06; 08-15-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder vs 991 GT3 RS