Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cabin noise and Doughnuts... Spyder vs GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Yes, I also experienced that jet engine whine sound when I did my test drives. Seeing as this will be my 1st mid-engine car and first Porsche, it was not what I was expecting at all and briefly had me reconsidering the GT4 and I briefly started to look at the RWD Audi R8 as an alternative.

It took me just a brief little bit recalibrate my brain and expectations and realize that the GT4, similar to my first C5 Z06 is a purpose built track car and with that comes certain compromises. I have since test driven 2 other GT4's and neither of them made as much whine as the first one I test drove, so I think there is some variation there and some "luck" , similar to whether you will get squeaky brakes or not. In the end, the GT4 is still what I wanted and the only car that really had me second guessing was the upcoming C8 Z06, but since it is delayed, it made the final choice easy.

GT4 to arrive in Nov., will live with it for 2 years and see if it is a love affair, if so I will keep it for a very long time, if not, the C8 Z06 will be out by then, well reviewed, and some of the hype died down and the GT4 probably will not depreciate at all or at the very least very little.
Good to have a 2nd opinion on this, TRZ06. Tku. I was out ripping the car tonight, top down, total enjoyment. SImple fix - leave the top off.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:54 AM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Good to have a 2nd opinion on this, TRZ06. Tku. I was out ripping the car tonight, top down, total enjoyment. SImple fix - leave the top off.
Maybe it is the wind through the gaps in the “buttresses” on the back of the top. Just a thought. I have a hard time believing wind can go through there at high speed without making some kind of noise.

My DD is a 12yo Tacoma. Something tells me I’ll be pleasantly surprised at the luxurious ride of the Spyder!!!
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 776 Likes on 384 Posts

Hmmm, fell for click bait here… I expected the topic to be how loud it was when performing doughnuts 😝

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(driving)

Last edited by SpeedySpidey; 08-10-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Zeus993 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 10:43 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Yes, I also experienced that jet engine whine sound when I did my test drives. Seeing as this will be my 1st mid-engine car and first Porsche, it was not what I was expecting at all and briefly had me reconsidering the GT4 and I briefly started to look at the RWD Audi R8 as an alternative.

It took me just a brief little bit recalibrate my brain and expectations and realize that the GT4, similar to my first C5 Z06 is a purpose built track car and with that comes certain compromises. I have since test driven 2 other GT4's and neither of them made as much whine as the first one I test drove, so I think there is some variation there and some "luck" , similar to whether you will get squeaky brakes or not. In the end, the GT4 is still what I wanted and the only car that really had me second guessing was the upcoming C8 Z06, but since it is delayed, it made the final choice easy.

GT4 to arrive in Nov., will live with it for 2 years and see if it is a love affair, if so I will keep it for a very long time, if not, the C8 Z06 will be out by then, well reviewed, and some of the hype died down and the GT4 probably will not depreciate at all or at the very least very little.
I didn't notice prominent 'whine' when I drove my friend's, but I wasn't listening for it and may have heard it, decided it was 'normal' and ignored it as I was concentrating on other things. You're an S65 M3 guy... you should like straight gear whine... I love mine.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
Maybe it is the wind through the gaps in the “buttresses” on the back of the top. Just a thought. I have a hard time believing wind can go through there at high speed without making some kind of noise.

My DD is a 12yo Tacoma. Something tells me I’ll be pleasantly surprised at the luxurious ride of the Spyder!!!
These tops are very secure, much more so than the bimini style "sun shade" of the Gen-1. I noticed that nice the high-pitched sound when I started it up last night. It sounds like a bearing, and the GT cars definitely have more engine noise. Again, with the top down, it's so much better!

I think this is a case of "stop your whinging, just shut up and drive!"

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Hmmm, fell for click bait here… I expected the topic to be how loud it was when performing doughnuts 😝

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(driving)
Haha! I was just smiling to myself that this thread is onto the 2nd page! The power of a good subject line, right?

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-10-2021 at 10:54 AM.
SpeedySpidey (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:22 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

It's not, as it is present in the GT4 as well.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:22 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
I didn't notice prominent 'whine' when I drove my friend's, but I wasn't listening for it and may have heard it, decided it was 'normal' and ignored it as I was concentrating on other things. You're an S65 M3 guy... you should like straight gear whine... I love mine.

Except this isn't a gear type whine, it's a belt type whine.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:28 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Ah. I didn't notice anything like that in either the GT4 or the Spyder I drove.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:33 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by enduro
Ah. I didn't notice anything like that in either the GT4 or the Spyder I drove.
Then again, that was 4 mths ago, and it was like a 1 mile test drive, so maybe I am remembering it wrong. I'll report back after I get mine in Nov. and spend some time in it.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

While I agree this 4.0 package makes all sorts of different racket than my previous 987 Spyder, I’m just not as sensitive to the belt whine or injector noises as compared to comments on here.

Yes, there is some of that there, but it was there on my Gen 1 Spyder also.
Zeus993 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 05:38 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
While I agree this 4.0 package makes all sorts of different racket than my previous 987 Spyder, I’m just not as sensitive to the belt whine or injector noises as compared to comments on here.

Yes, there is some of that there, but it was there on my Gen 1 Spyder also.
Yeah, I really think I need to spend some time with it to know if it will be an issue. I highly doubt it though. I have calibrated my brain for the additional noises that will be there now. Unless it is at a frequency that hurts my ears or that I find annoying and can't live with, I do not anticipate it being an issue.
Zeus993 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 06:18 PM
Spyder Bite
Pro

Received 731 Likes on 255 Posts

I DD a 2011 Tacoma as well. I am expecting the same.

Quick Reply: Cabin noise and Doughnuts... Spyder vs GTS?