Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Ceramic coating on things besides bodywork

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 02:02 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by GarrettGTS
Well, I guess I have new-car-itis because I went and coated the black stuff already. I was a little apprehensive because I did not want glossy surfaces, but I needn’t have worried. The trim still looks matte, like original. I even did the sea of black plastic around the frunk.

It would be great if I could use something like this on side/rear glass (or shower doors, LOL) but I’m skeptical. I work with professionals that design high-performance adhesives, and chemistries designed to stick to organics (paint, raw plastic, PPF, powder coat) often have difficulty sticking to inorganics (bare metal, glass) so my guess is that the coating might not last. The instructions, in fact, recommend against application on glass and metal.

I still have a little left, so I’m looking for plastic stuff. Maybe door sills, and I’m even eyeing the plastic top of my home air conditioner.

I'm about to order "Cerakote" for my trim pieces:

The following 3 users liked this post by colnagoG60:
Dan Nagy (08-19-2021), DFW01TT (09-27-2021), GarrettGTS (08-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:47 PM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 47 Posts

I’ve got 1000 miles on the wheels, and some grubby rain drives this weekend. The coating seems the same as before…doesn’t prevent dirt, but does make it easy to clean and good beading after washing. Like I said before, I’m not claiming this will hold up to track use, but it is definitely not going away after a few weeks.

The following 2 users liked this post by GarrettGTS:
slilley (09-20-2021), tigerhonaker (09-20-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:37 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60

https://youtu.be/XXOX4z6uwXo

Finally got around to doing a Cerkote "wipes" treatment...pics of upper cowl piece, after about 20 hours of drying/curing treated section. First cleaned with "Chemical Guys Wax and oil remover for trim", then wiped clean with wet cloth.

(wear gloves)

I still have to do the larger trunk cover, and rest of plastic, but need to clean what I have to assume at this point is hard water/calcium stains from previous owner first.

*** Now looking at the pics on PC vs. my phone, the middle pic is more representative of how white/hazy/faded the trim looks when looking at it head on...drastic difference with the Cerakote. I was previously considering just replacing the cowl because of how faded it had become. I hear the "heat gun" method works well, but not up for putting in that much effort. Even if it loses half its shine/color from here, I'd still consider it a major win.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 09-27-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:11 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
I love Project Farm!
Old 09-27-2021, 04:17 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
I love Project Farm!

Only vid I've watched. I previously used the Meguiars on my chin spoiler, and wasn't impressed, so did a little recon this time around. That said, I did not use any special trim cleaner like this time around, so * on the Meguiars. I'll get around to doing the rest of the car maybe this weekend, but nothing is as bad as that upper cowl piece.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:54 PM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

Originally Posted by dichael
Heyya GarrettGTS, let us know what you think after about 3-6 months of use!
OK , it’s been over a year of Oregon driving (3400 miles) plus one track session. The wheel coating is holding up well. It may have lost a little bit of beading, but everything is still very easy to clean and slick feeling. Here is a picture from today.

As far as temperature robustness goes, Nasiol claims their stuff is good to 150C (300 F). I got the brakes nicely warmed up on the track. I know this because I have a lot of track experience in other cars, and also because before the track session, my brakes would squeal frequently, and they haven’t once since!

Overall, I’m happy with the results. I’m not saying the Nasiol ZR53 is absolutely the best, but it is easy enough for a hobbyist to successfully apply, and it holds up pretty well. If anyone is using something that is gone after a couple weeks, try a different brand!
The following 2 users liked this post by GarrettGTS:
manifold danger (10-24-2022), tigerhonaker (10-24-2022)
Old 10-24-2022, 09:58 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Good stuff. I'm currently in the phase of ownership where my car has been delivered effectively twice; once when it came in and again just this past Friday with PPF installed.

So now I'm ready to buckle down and get some kind of coating on it, but not sure which one. I've had really good experience with AMMO Reflex Pro, and even Chemical Guys Hydroslick. Both of these are easy-to-apply coatings that are geared towards weekend warriors like me, that there's little to zero chance of the "overcuring" effect that requires machine and/or wet-sanding correction if you let it sit too long or miss a spot. They don't last as long but still have effectively gotten me through my typical "wax seasons" of every 6 months or so in the spring and fall, and have effectively just become an evolution of good old carnuba wax that I used to apply twice a year anyway...

So I'm thinking of going this route because I don't feel like paying $600+ just to not have to "wax" my car with a coating twice a year... but I don't want to take a chance with the shelf-life of the open bottle of Reflex Pro I still have left from last year so am open to suggestion on whatever other products are out there that aren't necessarily "recommended for professional detailers".

I know Gyeon and gtechniq have some good stuff, but it looks like Nasiol is almost exclusively for the "professional detailer" crowd so I'll probably skip it.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:06 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,346 Posts

I have had Opti Coat Pro on my Spyder since I got it about 1 1/2 years ago and it is as the day it was applied. I live on the beach and a salt film settles on everything all the time but with the coating, I simply use their ONR (no rinse) and it takes just a few minutes - no scratches, etc.
Old 10-25-2022, 01:57 AM
GarrettGTS
Advanced

I totally understand the reluctance, Manifold! I practiced on a cheap car first, myself. In the end, I found the Nasiol application manageable, and it still works like new on the paint/PPF on that practice car, 10k miles and one year later, with zero ceramic maintenance. But I’ll tell you what, I’ve also used the Griots spray-on ceramic. It is holding up very well on bodywork, and with very easy application. There are some YouTube comparisons of the Griots stuff, and it compared well for durability. If you are looking for an easy ceramic, I’d consider it. I was looking for something tougher for the wheels.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (10-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Ceramic coating on things besides bodywork