Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS - would you get one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 04:22 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Or…trading in gt3s helps you line up specialty mid-engined cars. ahem lol

Currently, imho, the spyder is by far the best looking car Porsche makes. Ever made? 911s with wings and bulging rear wheel arches can look very purposeful and tough, but this spyder is Ferrari-esque beautiful.

Last edited by Adrift; 07-30-2021 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
brock256 (08-05-2022), ISPYA718 (07-31-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 04:39 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,805 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
^...Absolutely the Spyder is a blast on track, the platform is solid. Just not the best tool. It will pass GT3 because the driver of the GT3 isn't good enough to use a GT3 to outpace a Spyder.
Ya, car X passed car Y at some driving experience doesn't have any real value. Driver is the factor there always.

I know I can almost always take the worst car at a HPDE and drive it faster around the track then the best car can with a new or even just a newish driver behind the wheel.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
For those poo-poo'ing the spyder as a track car, or hell, even the vanilla boxster...as someone who has put many laps on tracks in boxsters, I can assure you the platform is extremely capable and is a metric F Ton of fun to track. I loved blasting around the track with no roof, and I especially loved passing all the more serious drivers in their more serious cars who were indignant to be passed by a "mere" boxster. The looks I would get with my track trailer hitched to the back (carrying tires and a big tool box)...priceless. lol

Does a GT4 have better aero and is more purpose built? Sure, but most of us aren't anywhere NEAR the potential of any of these cars (in terms of driver skill), so to worry that you could be half a second faster a lap, or get to 120 instead of 115 on a straight... I definitely like the idea of the light weighting direction, and that can certainly be done to a spyder the same as anything else.

I agree it is extremely unlikely, and is just so much hot air at this point, but I also think it is a very valid idea; stripped down, stiffened a little, if needed, and you have a hero of a track car.
It's not so much that the convertible or Spyder would be performance limited for track use. It's more that the Convertible or Spyder is limited in the amount of SAFETY it could provide on a track vs the fixed roof cars. Even if you could install an effective roll bar in the topless cars, the fixed roof car with no extra roll bar would be a safer vehicle choice for going off into the grass or who-knows-what at high speeds.

I can't see Porsche considering an RS Spyder model simply because of the safety implications.

Did Porsche ever make a Speedster RS?
Old 07-30-2021, 06:29 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

I honestly love the 911 shape overall with the wider rear end. The older models looked overall fantastic with the flush and bulbous fenders. The latest 992 chassis and the 996 does not really make me excited in terms of styling but otherwise I really love the iconic 911 shape. If the Boxster and Cayman had a bit wider rear end and less of a rectangular shape it would look even more amazing.

Until I saw the 981 Spyder, I never would have thought of buying a Boxster to be honest. Have owned multiple 911's, despite all being 997, I love the driving dynamics of the 911. The 997 GT3 was (still is) such a fantastic car with a relatively old fashioned analogue feel as only available with 6 speed, hydraulic steering, no rear wheel steer, all nannies can be turned off immediately, etc. That sweet, sweet 997 GT4 engine and the mechanical howl... Cannot say a negative thing about how fantastic the engine is and how glorious it sounds. The only downside for me was the heavy clutch as I'm suffering from a lower back injury that even short drives don't make it quite comfortable. Every time I see a 997 GT3, it does bring good memories and perhaps a few tears to my eyes

The 718 Spyder and GT4 are great cars, and I do love my Spyder. But the experience is quite different. It is quite more refined, it is a modern day real sports car. The steering, shifter and clutch require a lot less effort. It is quieter, much more compliant, steering is softer and a bit more dull. Somehow the car feels a bit more disconnected so to speak when compared. I can certainly drive it for hours without getting tired. While the handling and power are at your disposal in plenty, it just feels much more relaxed and easier to extract the same performance. If the front lip did not scrape so often the car can be daily driven quite easily.

The 718 Spyder, while not the track beast the GT4 sibling is, it shares the same chassis and suspension overall (minus the aero and the roof of course) it is very capable on the track and will certainly keep up with cars in its class. For anyone hitting the track only 3-4 times a year, live somewhere sunny and warm, the 718 Spyder is a no brainer.
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
samwise (09-14-2021), StilettoPat (09-14-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:53 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

The lines and styling of the 911 Cab can't even stand in the shadow of the Boxster/Spyder.The purpose built car looks like a finely tuned finished product. The 911 Cab looks like a kludge of styling, or as I have always called it, the bathtub car.

And yeah, I'd take a shot at the Spyder RS because life is short.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,732 Likes on 5,125 Posts

Hell yes.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:55 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Maybe a more light weight Spyder with more carbon fiber parts, etc… A Spyder R.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:32 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
A bit more power?
A bit less weight?
Manual?

Sure, count me in.
RS cars don't come with a manual. They are much more about pure performance and track capability vs driving enjoyment.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:38 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
I honestly love the 911 shape overall with the wider rear end. The older models looked overall fantastic with the flush and bulbous fenders. The latest 992 chassis and the 996 does not really make me excited in terms of styling but otherwise I really love the iconic 911 shape. If the Boxster and Cayman had a bit wider rear end and less of a rectangular shape it would look even more amazing.

Until I saw the 981 Spyder, I never would have thought of buying a Boxster to be honest. Have owned multiple 911's, despite all being 997, I love the driving dynamics of the 911. The 997 GT3 was (still is) such a fantastic car with a relatively old fashioned analogue feel as only available with 6 speed, hydraulic steering, no rear wheel steer, all nannies can be turned off immediately, etc. That sweet, sweet 997 GT4 engine and the mechanical howl... Cannot say a negative thing about how fantastic the engine is and how glorious it sounds. The only downside for me was the heavy clutch as I'm suffering from a lower back injury that even short drives don't make it quite comfortable. Every time I see a 997 GT3, it does bring good memories and perhaps a few tears to my eyes

The 718 Spyder and GT4 are great cars, and I do love my Spyder. But the experience is quite different. It is quite more refined, it is a modern day real sports car. The steering, shifter and clutch require a lot less effort. It is quieter, much more compliant, steering is softer and a bit more dull. Somehow the car feels a bit more disconnected so to speak when compared. I can certainly drive it for hours without getting tired. While the handling and power are at your disposal in plenty, it just feels much more relaxed and easier to extract the same performance. If the front lip did not scrape so often the car can be daily driven quite easily.

The 718 Spyder, while not the track beast the GT4 sibling is, it shares the same chassis and suspension overall (minus the aero and the roof of course) it is very capable on the track and will certainly keep up with cars in its class. For anyone hitting the track only 3-4 times a year, live somewhere sunny and warm, the 718 Spyder is a no brainer.
Cars that are "too capable" are often times less enjoyable at lower speeds. They are just so drama free until you really ratchet up the speed. The Nissan GTR was well known for this.
The following users liked this post:
Ramon Vennik (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 06:04 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by RS911
Maybe a more light weight Spyder with more carbon fiber parts, etc… A Spyder R.
Interesting if Porsche did something like this for the swan song of the 982 platform. GT4 RS for Cayman and Spyder R for Boxster. I guess only time will tell. We do know that Porsche made the 000 Spyder so that could also be the swan song for the 982 Spyder but that's really nothing more than PTS and CXX options already spec'd and approved by PAG and ready to go with some other bits and pieces.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:09 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 118 Posts

Spyder with lighter forged wheels / carbon panels / titanium exhaust to get it under 3000 lbs would be pretty awesome.
The following users liked this post:
Adrift (07-31-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 02:32 PM
samwise
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I would totally get one. If I can get an allocation for one I'll put down money today.

Wouldn't sell my 997.2 GT3 for it tho. I'm sure it'll be blisteringly quick on the road and the track. My hope is the figured out how to put the 992 GT3 engine in the middle, or just muck around with the current one, raise the redline to 9000 and power to 475 or so. I'll be lining up to buy one.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Well any speculation on when we might know, will they announce it with the GT4 RS in November in LA?
Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 PM
JIMMY JAMES
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Forget the track. If they make a spyder with the look and running gear of the GT4RS, and a manual gearbox, it would be a killer back road combo. I'd have one in a heartbeat.
But, I suspect it's a pipedream...which is fine as I love my 981 GT4.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by samwise
I would totally get one. If I can get an allocation for one I'll put down money today.

Wouldn't sell my 997.2 GT3 for it tho. I'm sure it'll be blisteringly quick on the road and the track. My hope is the figured out how to put the 992 GT3 engine in the middle, or just muck around with the current one, raise the redline to 9000 and power to 475 or so. I'll be lining up to buy one.
Nope ...

Quick Reply: Spyder RS - would you get one?