Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

4 Months and 6,000 Mile review on 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 12:44 AM
dicker
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Nice write up. Thanks. I recently switched my CGTS spec from Shark Blue to GT Silver for the same reason... bit boring, but shows lines better and classic. Opted for platinum wheels and black calipers.
I also last minute changed from Shark Blue to GT silver. Went with silver wheels instead. We're going to be almost twins.

Last edited by dicker; 07-26-2021 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:07 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by dicker
I also last minute changed from Shark Blue to GT silver. Went with silver wheels instead. We're going to be almost twins.
Mine also has silver wheels We ARE twins!

Last edited by P-car-Vancouver; 07-26-2021 at 02:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
StilettoPat (07-27-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 AM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Thank you for the ongoing reviews of your CGTS. They have been informative, thorough, and well written. Unfortunately many members do not hesitate to ask questions when spec’ing their cars. But they never bother to review them once they get them.
IL_Pete (07-26-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:41 AM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is the entire spec:
PN5VP6W7
Looking forward seeing the new car!

Last edited by jake18; 07-26-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Great write-up! Nobody could say that you didn’t make in informed decision!! I am totally winging it, but also on a list for the 992 Targa GTS. I highly doubt I am going to change out my BGTS for another 992, and now considering to sell the Soul exhaust system and cats in storage that’s waiting for the next 992.

If you are going to do the “718” in the back, maybe think about keeping the standard lettering, taking it off at delivery, and just adding back the”GTS” portion.
I realize the spacing might be off some, but I was planning to just remove the "718" in the back, and leave Cayman GTS, albeit just a bit off center. If it truly bothers me, I'll order another 718 Cayman GTS logo from Suncoast and add it back in. Great ideas all around with the logo however.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:35 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Nice write up. Thanks. I recently switched my CGTS spec from Shark Blue to GT Silver for the same reason... bit boring, but shows lines better and classic. Opted for platinum wheels and black calipers.
Great on the Black Calipers! I ordered those too. I find the Red Calipers to be a bit much visually, I think all colors look better with Black Calipers, it provides for a cleaner look IMO. (Maybe I have been watching too many Janko Lind videos, LOL!)

I think Satin Black, Satin Platinum and Silver Wheels all look great on a GT Silver 718! I have Silver on the Albert Blue - they look great but really show the Brake Dust. I wanted to mix it up on the new one and I considered both Satin Black and Satin Platinum, and decided on Satin Black primarily because my HRE Wheels on order are Gloss Charcoal.

I still haven't fully figured out what I am going to do with regards to Winter Tires, and on which wheels. Porsche sells Winter Wheel sets in 20s, 19s and 18s, but I think I am going to try to find Winter Tires for the Satin Black 20s and use those for the Winter months for cold temps, and run 245 or 255 fronts with 285 rears on the 19" HREs for Spring/Summer/Fall.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:44 AM
dicker
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Great on the Black Calipers! I ordered those too. I find the Red Calipers to be a bit much visually, I think all colors look better with Black Calipers, it provides for a cleaner look IMO. (Maybe I have been watching too many Janko Lind videos, LOL!)

I think Satin Black, Satin Platinum and Silver Wheels all look great on a GT Silver 718! I have Silver on the Albert Blue - they look great but really show the Brake Dust. I wanted to mix it up on the new one and I considered both Satin Black and Satin Platinum, and decided on Satin Black primarily because my HRE Wheels on order are Gloss Charcoal.
Gotta go with the black calipers if you're doing the bordeaux red, the red calipers will clash! (That's how I'm justifying the $900) The black wheels look good and so do the satin platnium, but something about BradStyle's car caught my attention and got me excited about the silver.
DFW01TT (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 05:33 AM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 462 Posts

Your money your call but from my somewhat similar past experience, I'd say just leave all the what's next/not my perfect spec fusses behind & enjoy your Albert. You already have one of the best driver's car out there, in an iconic paint job too. As great as gt silver is, it's kind of pedestrian compared to AB. Plus the tax ppf mods cost....that all could be part of the future gt3 fund.
The following 3 users liked this post by Yc911Kid:
Alpha Ice (07-27-2021), Dr.Bill (07-27-2021), Multimodal (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 10:36 AM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Gotta go with the black calipers if you're doing the bordeaux red, the red calipers will clash! (That's how I'm justifying the $900) The black wheels look good and so do the satin platnium, but something about BradStyle's car caught my attention and got me excited about the silver.
Agree, the red calipers clash with just about everything else red.

The Silver Wheels do look great - gives it a more classic look.

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
Your money your call but from my somewhat similar past experience, I'd say just leave all the what's next/not my perfect spec fusses behind & enjoy your Albert. You already have one of the best driver's car out there, in an iconic paint job too. As great as gt silver is, it's kind of pedestrian compared to AB. Plus the tax ppf mods cost....that all could be part of the future gt3 fund.
I have indeed done the math on the taxes, the PPF and the mod work. No small expense, but the heart wants what the heart wants! I want the classic Silver with the full red interior, and I will keep it for a while. I like the Albert Blue, it is more so the Black RaceTex interior I want to upgrade to the red leather, and the GT Silver comes along with that.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:21 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

That's a lot of red! I would go with deviated carpet to tone it down a bit. The black carpet also stays cleaner looking.

Whatever you do, don't drive a GT3! Goes double for the GT3RS. If you do, you will be spoiled for life. No other Porsche, let alone any other car will ever match the feeling.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:18 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Nice writeup. And, good call on spec'ing exactly what you want before the production wraps up. If you're able, always go for what you want.

Does T-Design9 Memory Module allow you to disable auto Rev-Match in Sport and Sport Plus? If not, does Individual Mode help? In other words, do you know if it can be disabled by any means? I also thought about 992 GTS Cab or even C2 S Cab with MT. However, the Sport Chrono, which is bundled with MT, forces auto Rev-Match and can not be turned off! That's a #1 deal breaker for me.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:31 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
That's a lot of red! I would go with deviated carpet to tone it down a bit. The black carpet also stays cleaner looking.

Whatever you do, don't drive a GT3! Goes double for the GT3RS. If you do, you will be spoiled for life. No other Porsche, let alone any other car will ever match the feeling.
That is a lot of red, indeed! I actually really like the red carpet, it lightens up the whole car on the inside. My current CGTS has the black GTS RaceTex interior, and without a sunroof available in the 718s, it can be a bit like a dark cave. (In contrast, a 911 with an all Black interior and a Glass Sunroof is not, IMO.) I intentionally want the red dash and carpet to lighten things up.

I had the full red interior with the red carpet on both my 1997 Boxster and 1999 C2 Cab as I mentioned, and I really liked it. I don't recall it being "too much". (That said, there are a lot of things in life that didn't annoy me 20 years ago that annoy the crap out of me now! )

Here is my 1999 C2 Cab:

Here is a 2021 Boxster S with the full Bordeaux interior:

I find the tone of the Bordeaux interior much more pleasant, less Salmon or Orange. I think the full Bordeaux makes the interior very "special", that is what I recall from the Boxster and the 911.

Also mine will be broken up just a bit by the GT Silver Extended Deviated Stitching.

(If anyone ever wondered how a Guards Red Sport Chrono dial works with a full Bordeaux dash, there it is. It clashes a bit to my eyes. Thus why I am doing White for the Instrument Dials and the Short Chrono Dial. Did you know that you can order the Dials in Bordeaux Red with the 718 Spyder with the Sport Classic Interior? Not fair! )

Thanks for the warning on driving the GT3. I fully expect it to be mind-blowing when I go drive it next month at PEC ATL! That is okay. My plan is to keep this GTS 4.0 if I am able to pull off a GT3 a couple of years down the road. This GTS 4.0 would be the DD and the GT3 would be driven less to preserve the value. That is the thought, anyway!

(There is always the Demans 4.5L conversion if I want more out of my GTS 4.0...)

Originally Posted by the_rider
Nice writeup. And, good call on spec'ing exactly what you want before the production wraps up. If you're able, always go for what you want.

Does T-Design9 Memory Module allow you to disable auto Rev-Match in Sport and Sport Plus? If not, does Individual Mode help? In other words, do you know if it can be disabled by any means? I also thought about 992 GTS Cab or even C2 S Cab with MT. However, the Sport Chrono, which is bundled with MT, forces auto Rev-Match and can not be turned off! That's a #1 deal breaker for me.
Thanks!

No, that is one of the big differences with regards to the GTS 4.0 and GT4/Spyder. With the GT cars you get a switch to separately disable Rev-Matching, with the GTS 4.0's there is no way to disable it in Sport or Sport Plus, not even in individual mode.

I really love Sport Mode and use that 95% percent of the time, and I like the Rev-Matching, so not an issue for me. Sport mode has the burbles and pops in the exhaust, and a much more aggressive throttle response versus Sport Plus.

For those who object to the rev matching, the only answers are either Normal Mode on a non-GT car, or a GT car...
P-car-Vancouver (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:24 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,085 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I really disliked this "red" (which was salmon really) when I first saw it for sale. Eventually, I bought it and grew to love it. 1999 911/996 Aero. There was A LOT of carbon fiber in there too.

I put black Lloyds floor mats in to darken it up a bit.

Love the white gauges and ordered them on my CGTS 4.0.

(Pics taken before I bought it. I cleaned up the leather a fair amount.)

The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
IL_Pete (07-27-2021), Tom Loder (08-04-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 06:19 PM
Yc911Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Agree, the red calipers clash with just about everything else red.

The Silver Wheels do look great - gives it a more classic look.

I have indeed done the math on the taxes, the PPF and the mod work. No small expense, but the heart wants what the heart wants! I want the classic Silver with the full red interior, and I will keep it for a while. I like the Albert Blue, it is more so the Black RaceTex interior I want to upgrade to the red leather, and the GT Silver comes along with that.
That's one hell of a 1st world problem to have so I'm sure you'll enjoy it whichever route you go!
IL_Pete (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:05 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I really disliked this "red" (which was salmon really) when I first saw it for sale. Eventually, I bought it and grew to love it. 1999 911/996 Aero. There was A LOT of carbon fiber in there too.

I put black Lloyds floor mats in to darken it up a bit.

Love the white gauges and ordered them on my CGTS 4.0.

(Pics taken before I bought it. I cleaned up the leather a fair amount.)

Thanks for posting those pics! Yup, that looks like mine, except mine didn't have the Carbon Fiber. Those pics bring back a lot of good memories.
AdamIsAdam (07-27-2021)

Quick Reply: 4 Months and 6,000 Mile review on 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)