Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

6MT vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I *really* *really* *really* cannot believe that there is yet another F****** thread on RL regarding MT vs. PDK.

its simple, pick the version you like the best: PDK is faster and heavier, MT is lighter and slower, but you get an extra pedal included at no extra charge, and your left foot gets a job...

now which is better, LWBS + 6MT & PCCB, or 2-way, PDK & steel?

let's gets serious...

front, vs mid, vs read engine cars?

The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
minn19 (07-25-2021), Zhao (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
let's gets serious...

front, vs mid, vs read engine cars?
Depends, is one aircooled?
Old 07-24-2021, 06:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Depends, is one aircooled?
respect!
Old 07-24-2021, 08:47 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 933 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Dear Confussed66 - by now you're hopefully cooled off from your initiation gauntlet of flames, a nice drink in hand etc... Just to let you know, as you're new here, you've innocently stumbled upon one of the most exhaustively debated subjects on these forums - the "To PDK or Not to PDK (MT). That is the question" debate.

Truthfully there's no right answer, I've had them both. The PDK is wicked fast and lots of fun in manual mode flapping the paddles, but there is nothing quite like a nice schnickity pull of a 6-speed manual as comes with these 718's. That's what I ordered in my new Spyder and happy I did. But I almost at the last minute changed it to the PDK! It's what many of us believe is the swan song of the manual transmission, the last chance to order one in a new car etc... The 992? A 7-speed PDK derived manual that is not as nice.

So congrats on your order and welcome to the forum. You will love the PDK. What's the rest of your build? THAT'S what we're all interested in!

P.s. And don't feel bad about asking your original question. What to have some more fun? Go over the 996 Forum and start a new thread with "What's the Deal on the IMS?" Don't even put in "IMS Bearing". And sit back!
Until it grinds going from 1st to 2nd...
Old 07-24-2021, 09:37 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Here’s my 2 cents worth after owning both. Put 7k mikes on MT GT4 and now about 1200 on PDK. The manual is way more fun to drive, it’s obviously more engaging and rewarding. However, I changed to pdk for tracking needs and so far, I am absolutely loving the awesomeness of the PDK. Manually paddle shifting is damn fun. Add in a Soul OAP, and you have something that sounds like a F1 race car. I couldn’t be happier. The up-shifting in PDK with OAP, is a sound that is indescribable, it’s beyond insanely awesome. I keep getting this itch to go drive it so I can hear this beast upshift at 8k rpm!!!

but honestly, if I wasn’t tracking, I’d stick to the manual.

so ya, you can’t lose, so pick one and enjoy life
Old 07-24-2021, 09:44 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Until it grinds going from 1st to 2nd...
The clutch pedal? Push it all the way in. I find that works...

Last edited by Zeus993; 07-24-2021 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slilley (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 10:18 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 543 Posts

Manual is more fun for those who want more of a sensory experience. PDK is faster, a far superior choice for the track for the simple reason that you can keep both hands on the wheel, and more practical for daily use.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:10 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 382 Posts

A 6 MT is an awful transmission choice… it requires the use of your left leg to reach driving euphoria and your mouth muscles will tire soon from smiling too much.
Said experience also requires using your right foot to blip the throttle if you suffer from driving talent or (egads!), pushing an extra button to partake in this so called enjoyment.

A PDK on the other hand is wonderful transmission, it saves oneself from the use of the left leg and therefore won’t irritate any tender hemorrhoidal tissue or aggravated irritable bowel syndrome that the extra expense may have caused.

I hope this explanation answers any further questions and puts an end to this ongoing debate.
slilley (07-25-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Ther is a little known CXX option. A 6 speed gearbox with straight cut gears which also includes bias ply tires as part of the ‘Involved Package’😂
sanderabernathy (07-27-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:16 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
A 6 MT is an awful transmission choice… it requires the use of your left leg to reach driving euphoria and your mouth muscles will tire soon from smiling too much.
Said experience also requires using your right foot to blip the throttle if you suffer from driving talent or (egads!), pushing an extra button to partake in this so called enjoyment.

A PDK on the other hand is wonderful transmission, it saves oneself from the use of the left leg and therefore won’t irritate any tender hemorrhoidal tissue or aggravated irritable bowel syndrome that the extra expense may have caused.

I hope this explanation answers any further questions and puts an end to this ongoing debate.
well, I just started driving with left foot breaking with pdk, should have done this many years ago, it’s pretty damn awesome, but yes, it is aggravating the hemorrhoid irritable bowel left leg spasm syndrome
SpeedySpidey (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:36 PM
T i h o r
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 19 Posts

If I were you, I wouldn't choose any or even order the car.
​​​​​​
You might be better suited looking into the new Tesla model S Plaid. "Auto shift out of Park" takes the challenging guess work out of deciding what gear you want to be in, so you don't have to worry about any of that (let alone MT or PDK) and just focus on driving.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:46 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Ther is a little known CXX option. A 6 speed gearbox with straight cut gears which also includes bias ply tires as part of the ‘Involved Package’😂
Doesn't show up. Probably waiting to dual launch that option along side the CXX PDK option in the works where it comes with a man that drives your car for you and mails you a video of it after.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:49 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche444
well, I just started driving with left foot breaking with pdk, should have done this many years ago, it’s pretty damn awesome, but yes, it is aggravating the hemorrhoid irritable bowel left leg spasm syndrome
For me the best selling point for PDK is left foot braking. I find it to be a huge advantage, and I also find it almost impossible to do in a 3 pedal dinosaur.

Everything else about PDK doesn't interest me on a race track for a street car.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:23 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Doesn't show up. Probably waiting to dual launch that option along side the CXX PDK option in the works where it comes with a man that drives your car for you and mails you a video of it after.
Actually it’s a gender neutral driver.👍
Zhao (07-25-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 12:56 AM
bubbledragon
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Here’s my 2 cents worth after owning both. Put 7k mikes on MT GT4 and now about 1200 on PDK. The manual is way more fun to drive, it’s obviously more engaging and rewarding. However, I changed to pdk for tracking needs and so far, I am absolutely loving the awesomeness of the PDK. Manually paddle shifting is damn fun. Add in a Soul OAP, and you have something that sounds like a F1 race car. I couldn’t be happier. The up-shifting in PDK with OAP, is a sound that is indescribable, it’s beyond insanely awesome. I keep getting this itch to go drive it so I can hear this beast upshift at 8k rpm!!!

but honestly, if I wasn’t tracking, I’d stick to the manual.

so ya, you can’t lose, so pick one and enjoy life
Having owned both in the 718 series, I can't agree more that mt or pdk depends entirely on the drive circumstances & your "personal preference" for those particular circumstances. This is one of very few cars on this planet (if any) that owning either will bring 99% smiles, owning both mt & pdk same time brings the 110% smiles. To many P owners paying double for the extra 11% smiles is no issue, just the many other considerations to take into account, don`t mention wife.

OP` question is common. Thanks for bringing up. But what we are interested in is to find out what OP thinks once the pdk has been delivered. Please update us.

Congrats on the new car.
​​
The following 2 users liked this post by bubbledragon:
confused66 (07-26-2021), tigerhonaker (07-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 6MT vs PDK