Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

DIY Maintenance on the 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:52 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Good info

FYI - Pretty sure caliper bleeder screw is 11mm (best to use 6-point instead of 12-point box wrench or deep socket). And the max torque for these bleeders is 130 inch-pounds.

And after torquing bleeders, I use a shop vac with some silicon hose taped on the end to suck out the residual brake fluid that is left in the top of the bleeders (otherwise it can seep down the painted caliper when hot at the track). Can also just throw some warm water over the calipers to neutralize any residual brake fluid.
Yea crap - I had a second thought that it was maybe 11mm but whatever.
The following 2 users liked this post by iliveoncaffiene:
GrantG (08-17-2021), tdlondon (08-17-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 10:59 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
These instructions can apply to almost every car (not just Porsche) as well.
You'll need:
- Power Bleeder
- Catch bottle
- Motul RBF600 (or your choice of DOT 4 fluid - RBF600, RBF660, or Castrol SRF). Minimum of 2L, but get 3 to be safe.
- 11mm wrench (for the bleeder screw)
- Turkey baster (yes, really)
- A floor jack
- 19mm socket + breaker + torque wrench for the wheels
- (optional) Jack stands or QuickJack to get all 4 corners up at once
You are the absolute best, thanks for taking the time to write this up! I was concerned that we needed those OBD tools to open a valve or something, but this seems pretty straightforward.
Good on the tip of the quantity, I was planning for 1.5L only as I had read somewhere else.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-2021, 11:25 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
You are the absolute best, thanks for taking the time to write this up! I was concerned that we needed those OBD tools to open a valve or something, but this seems pretty straightforward.
Good on the tip of the quantity, I was planning for 1.5L only as I had read somewhere else.

Thanks again!
I think the amount is something like 2L in the whole system, but bleeding it through is not an "exact" science and if you bleed too much (and you should never re-use it) you're going to inevitably bleed through more than the whole system contains.
The following 2 users liked this post by iliveoncaffiene:
GrantG (08-17-2021), tdlondon (08-17-2021)

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance on the 4.0