Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Manual Gear Shifter GT4 vs GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021 | 06:42 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Default Manual Gear Shifter GT4 vs GTS

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I gather that the GT4/Spyder has the OEM Short Shift Kit (SSK), whilst the GTS does not and hence the taller ****?

This part is that in the GT4 : https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...&TGR_Offset=10
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:01 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

That’s a good question and hopefully somebody has the answer. My 992 had an updated shifter and really felt the difference. I assumed since it was the same engine as the GT4 that they would use the same shift kit. If this GTS does not have it, I will definitely do the change.
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:21 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
That’s a good question and hopefully somebody has the answer. My 992 had an updated shifter and really felt the difference. I assumed since it was the same engine as the GT4 that they would use the same shift kit. If this GTS does not have it, I will definitely do the change.
Looks like the GTS is taller. The Numeric Racing SSK could be overkill in the GTS?

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 07-14-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-14-2021 | 12:46 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Looks like the GTS is taller. The Numeric Racing SSK could be overkill in the GTS?
The Numeric Racing Shifter is never overkill!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 01:13 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Just in from Suncoast: GTS 4.0 has the standard 6-speed shift assembly. Part No. 98142401000 Thanks to Suncoast!!

A short shift kit is in my future. All I need is a car to put it in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Nagy:
CurbKiller (07-14-2021), slilley (07-17-2021)
Old 07-14-2021 | 04:45 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
The Numeric Racing Shifter is never overkill!
With the 1.5 spring? I have had SSK's in other cars and can be too stiff for daily or touring.
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:05 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

I believe IL_Pete (I think that's his username) installed a short shift kit in his GTS. If I recall he went with a stiffer spring and liked the change in feel.

This is something I have thought about (when not driving) but then every time I shift gears I find the manual transmission action so satisfying I think to myself why mess with a great thing?
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:43 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tigers10
I believe IL_Pete (I think that's his username) installed a short shift kit in his GTS. If I recall he went with a stiffer spring and liked the change in feel.

This is something I have thought about (when not driving) but then every time I shift gears I find the manual transmission action so satisfying I think to myself why mess with a great thing?
I actually like having the regular shifter in my GTS and the short shifter in my GT4. Fit the driving style (for me) in each.
Old 07-14-2021 | 05:52 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Agree, the GTS shift is great, however I prefer the slightly shorter throw in the GT4. There's not much difference. Actually the GT4 shifter is identical except it has a shorter stick by ~2cm and centering spring. The mechanism is identical and not technically an SSK.

In the past I have heavily modified my ///M cars. Not always for the better in terms of daily driving. I'm trying not to do this in my CGTS and if there is an OEM option like the GT4 shifter, then opt for that.
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:35 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Yes, I did the Numeric Shifter, but with the lighter (1.5) spring. It is great, definitely a much shorter throw versus the stock shifter.

The stock shifter is very nice, not TOO long, but noticeably longer than the Numeric or the GT4. I rented a GT4 on Turo (from a Rennlister here) and did a writeup on that comparison. I felt the GT4 was about the same length of a throw as the Numeric, but the owner of the GT4 drove my car and thought the Numeric was a hair shorter than his GT4.

I think it is worth the upgrade.
Old 07-14-2021 | 08:45 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IL_Pete
Yes, I did the Numeric Shifter, but with the lighter (1.5) spring. It is great, definitely a much shorter throw versus the stock shifter.

The stock shifter is very nice, not TOO long, but noticeably longer than the Numeric or the GT4. I rented a GT4 on Turo (from a Rennlister here) and did a writeup on that comparison. I felt the GT4 was about the same length of a throw as the Numeric, but the owner of the GT4 drove my car and thought the Numeric was a hair shorter than his GT4.

I think it is worth the upgrade.
Ah sorry misremembered!
Old 07-16-2021 | 11:55 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Agree, the GTS shift is great, however I prefer the slightly shorter throw in the GT4. There's not much difference. Actually the GT4 shifter is identical except it has a shorter stick by ~2cm and centering spring. The mechanism is identical and not technically an SSK.

In the past I have heavily modified my ///M cars. Not always for the better in terms of daily driving. I'm trying not to do this in my CGTS and if there is an OEM option like the GT4 shifter, then opt for that.
You are correct the GT4/Spyder get the short end of the stick (pun intended) when it comes to the length of the rod coming out of the mechanism, the guts of the mechanism are the same, so any change in feel comes from the shorter stick.

I changed the shifter in my 981 GTS to the Porsche 'SSK' , in only a short time I grew to prefer the shorter throws... as you mention the OEM part from the GT4/Spyder is a direct replacement.
Old 07-16-2021 | 12:16 PM
Tigers10
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I changed the shifter in my 981 GTS to the Porsche 'SSK' , in only a short time I grew to prefer the shorter throws... as you mention the OEM part from the GT4/Spyder is a direct replacement.
Well now you've got me thinking again that maybe I would prefer the shorter throws for track driving. I'll add this to the ever growing list of future mods to consider
Old 07-16-2021 | 12:37 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well now you've got me thinking again that maybe I would prefer the shorter throws for track driving. I'll add this to the ever growing list of future mods to consider

981-718 SSK
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021 | 12:43 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Quite a different platform, but I loved the stock SSK in my 987, it was a pretty big change, 40% from factory and I think was equivalent to the 996 and similar GT cars of that era. It was a great upgrade, and I'll probably do something similar in my new car. I have a friend with the Numeric in his 987, and he likes the stiffer shifting and the upgraded bearings in that. I didn't want something too rough as I already have upgraded engine mounts too (Numeric and the orange mounts might have been too much for a DD).

Quick Reply: Manual Gear Shifter GT4 vs GTS