Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 03:39 PM
maxbb
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 718 GT4 build

hey everyone

what are your thoughts on this build? Decided to exclude dual zone, nav (as I use iphone) and ceramics. Anything you would add or delete??

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1F6ES0
Old 07-12-2021, 03:54 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Good looking build. You asked so if I may suggest the following:
1. red gauges and red chrono as it looks like you're going with the red accent theme with red calipers, red seat belts, red center marker and red stitching.
2. keep PCCB. I spec'd standard brakes on my car and original said I didn't regret it but I'm leaning more and more towards wishing I had spec'd it. Really the main reason why is because of the brake dust. Dang, it is some serious brake dust coming from those pads and I'm using engine braking a lot. Even with the platinum wheels, I can see the brake dust after washing it and 100 miles of driving.
3. Skipping nav is ok but know that even if you skip it, the button will still show Nav on the PCM but will basically be a dead button. No bog deal if that doesn't bother you. I've heard of people saying on this forum that if you don't option nav from factory, you can retrofit/activate the software feature after the fact.
4. add smoking package just to complete the look of the center console vs having the super small cubby. Please you get another 12v with the smoker's package.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:02 PM
momo360
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
3. Skipping nav is ok but know that even if you skip it, the button will still show Nav on the PCM but will basically be a dead button. No bog deal if that doesn't bother you. I've heard of people saying on this forum that if you don't option nav from factory, you can retrofit/activate the software feature after the fact.
Out of curiosity, some other cars i've driven will re-map the Nav button to apple maps/waze when carplay is in use, do you know if this happens? If that's the case, it wouldn't necessarily be dead, and a nice shortcut within carplay.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:05 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Out of curiosity, some other cars i've driven will re-map the Nav button to apple maps/waze when carplay is in use, do you know if this happens? If that's the case, it wouldn't necessarily be dead, and a nice shortcut within carplay.
Interesting possibility. Unfortunately, I can't help with that as I have Nav on my car. I also have CarPlay but don't connect it every single time since it's not wireless CarPlay so only on long drive or when traveling. Otherwise, prefer to have easy access to nav. That's why I spec'd it but I do understand people not wanting to spend the few grand on the nav when there's CarPlay.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks good.

Personally, I would remove the sport chrono. Does nothing on a 6-speed car and is ugly.
Maybe add the gloss black door handles to break up the monotonous sea of white?
Old 07-12-2021, 05:30 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by maxbb
hey everyone

what are your thoughts on this build? Decided to exclude dual zone, nav (as I use iphone) and ceramics. Anything you would add or delete??

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1F6ES0
great build, wouldn’t change a thing!!

The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 PM
maxbb
Advanced

thanks for the feedback everyone. Im debating deleting the auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor as I dont drive at night or in the rain as well as deleting Bose. Reading through the posts it seems the stock system is awful but is it good enough for background noise with some melody flowing through??

Also really like the idea of gauges. Would white work or stick to red?
Old 07-12-2021, 05:56 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

thanks for the feedback everyone. Im debating deleting the auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor as I dont drive at night or in the rain as well as deleting Bose. Reading through the posts it seems the stock system is awful but is it good enough for background noise with some melody flowing through??

i love my Bose, sound is great when driving anywhere, keep that and dials, white!!

i recently bought my 2nd GT4, red dials are deal killers for me along with no rain/auto dimming mirrors. At night, driving, cars behind you will get damn annoying after time, so for future resale, I would keep em.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:07 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Don't forget that you are in a low-riding sports car and higher headlights like those in a pickup truck can unintentionally light up your mirror at a stop light at night. The dimming is adaptive to the intensity so it seems to help a lot with this. I am also one of those truck drivers, but I will usually turn off my headlights at a stoplight when there is a low car in front of me.

One reason I've decided to stick with dark gauges is that the LCD one tends to use a black background so I think it makes the cluster look more uniform to stay dark.

I also like the black handles - I know there are polarizing opinions on those - and I also purposely stayed with the black headlight washer nozzles as just one more tiny bit of black among all of the other black things on the car. Black handles and black nozzles are almost half the price (albeit a small one) that going with colored handles and colored nozzles.
Embrace the black bits!

Last edited by StormRune; 07-12-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:18 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Regarding the auto-dimming mirrors, I would recommend keeping them. I've driven at night a few times and the car rides so low that even a corolla with LED lights will blind you not to mention a high riding SUV with LED lights.

I haven't heard the base or Bose stereo but there are people on this forum that are part of the camp that says to not spec the upgrade because the interior is so noisy that you're not going to hear anything of value anyways. I have the Burmester on my Spyder so I'm obviously in the other camp. Although I agree that it is noisy, the Burmester allows me to crank up the stereo, cruise top down at 80 mph and still be able to listen to the music. Keep in mind, having a more powerful audio system means that you can crank it louder without the music coming out of the speakers being as distorted. The more distorted, the more likely you're going to blow the speakers so ultimately, you have to decide how much you plan on using the audio system.

As for gauges, I would recommend red since you have the red interior theme going. I think it would look really nice. If you spec white, I suppose it could work since the exterior is white but getting red gauges and a red chrono is quote unique as not too many cars give you that option. Again, it just depends on the look you're going for.

Last edited by halfmonkey; 07-12-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

One more thing to check: I see you said you decided to exclude dual-zone but some people have misunderstood that option. The option name is misleading and includes not only dual zone but more importantly adds automatic temperature and fan control. Without that you have to manually adjust the heat/fan controls yourself, there's no thermostatic control. The manual option may work okay in some climates like coastal California I guess, but here in Texas I just can't see it.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:35 PM
Christmas50
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
One more thing to check: I see you said you decided to exclude dual-zone but some people have misunderstood that option. The option name is misleading and includes not only dual zone but more importantly adds automatic temperature and fan control. Without that you have to manually adjust the heat/fan controls yourself, there's no thermostatic control. The manual option may work okay in some climates like coastal California I guess, but here in Texas I just can't see it.
+1 on this one. Also IMO no Chrono and yes on Bose
Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 PM
maxbb
Advanced

Originally Posted by StormRune
Don't forget that you are in a low-riding sports car and higher headlights like those in a pickup truck can unintentionally light up your mirror at a stop light at night. The dimming is adaptive to the intensity so it seems to help a lot with this. I am also one of those truck drivers, but I will usually turn off my headlights at a stoplight when there is a low car in front of me.

One reason I've decided to stick with dark gauges is that the LCD one tends to use a black background so I think it makes the cluster look more uniform to stay dark.

I also like the black handles - I know there are polarizing opinions on those - and I also purposely stayed with the black headlight washer nozzles as just one more tiny bit of black among all of the other black things on the car. Black handles and black nozzles are almost half the price (albeit a small one) that going with colored handles and colored nozzles.
Embrace the black bits!
are the stock nozzles black? they looked chrome in the pic
Old 07-12-2021, 07:06 PM
maxbb
Advanced

Originally Posted by Christmas50
+1 on this one. Also IMO no Chrono and yes on Bose
I just honestly never use any form of AC and my wife hates the car and wouldnt travel anywhere with me anyways
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 07:24 PM
maxbb
Advanced

again thanks for the feedback everyone. regarding the gauges...do red on the cluster and chrono or just cluster?

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 build