Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Colour Advice - Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 06:20 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Colour Advice - Spyder

Good day All,

I've been fortunate to have secured a Spyder with a build date set for September. However, I am struggling a bit on zeroing in on the colour combo. I've currently got a 718 Boxster GTS which I spec'd with tte once available Crayon and Graphite Sport-Tex combo with Crayon paint. I'm a sucker for a two tone interior and it's a pity Porsche limit the Spyder to a handful of mostly black interiors.

It's also strange that they limit the colours available for the extended contrast stitching. Base/S/GTS all have a full range whereas the Spyder has a handful which I only just clocked.

Currently I'm wanting to go with Shark Blue and paired it with what I thought was Lava Orange extended stitching. However, it's not Lava Orange but just Orange. Sadly the OPC doesn't have a sample but seeing as their sample of Lava matched quite well with the swatch on the configurator, I am assuming the Orange they show isn't far off. I know blue and orange go well in general but it all depends on the shade of each. What do you think? I did look at Cognac stitching throughout but the sample looked a lot more dull than I envisioned and felt it would look washed out amongst all the black.

There is the option of going CXX for the front seats but this hinges on Porsche Germany getting back to GB on some details. The spec would then need to be locked by Wed or I lose the window of making that happen. If the stars align, I was playing with staying with Shark Blue and going with the front seats fully covered in Cognac or Ascot leather. Until I have this call I don't really know what is possible. But given the short window, my gut feeling tells me a CXX isn't in the cards.

Curious to get some feedback on the blue/orange combo. I've googled, searched auto trader, this forum etc and can't for the life of me find Orange (not Lava) stitching.

Many thanks!

P
Old 07-05-2021, 07:49 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

You asked so please allow me to share my opinion. Shark Blue is a "darker" bright blue. Personally, I'm not one to put Shark Blue together with any kind of orange. Those colors in my eyes don't go together. If you plan on keeping the car for a very long time or even forever, then get what you want because you'll get a lot of feedback one way or another. If your plan to buy it and sell it say within 5 years, I believe that will be a hard combo to sell.

The Cognac or Ascot leather I'm sure will look nice with the Shark Blue but the interior will depend on what stitching you match those colors with. If you're thinking of doing the Cognac or Ascot with orange, I think that will be a very very hard combo to sell. Please don't take offense but that is just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

You a Mets fan?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:57 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,804 Likes on 986 Posts

If you're going to do orange stitching on shark blue, I think you'd need a lot more orange than just stitching to make it look right. So that means Rims and decals, possibly belts and door pulls. You can do a lot of that after the fact.

shark blue and cognac, yuk no. that'd be weird. You got a boy racer color on the outside with tweed jacket old man interior.

But CXX on a time crunch sounds like a receipt for disaster. That stuff is somethign I think is best planned out for months IMO.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:48 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Yellow stitching will look nice with Shark Blue, and PCCBs with Yellow calipers (and seatbelts) to tie it all together.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Silver stitching for subtle interior with black calipers.

Red or yellow stitching for pop with matching calipers.

Add matching belts?

Black full leather since probably no time to sort out CXX.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:22 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Ya, I’d stick to the standard red or yellow accents. I would not pair orange with blue.
Old 07-06-2021, 01:56 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Thank you all for the feedback! I based the combo of blue and orange with the samples they had and Lava is borderline red but with a twist hence going with it.

Having slept on it, a combo not mentioned, Crayon, but be an option. I can then pair it with matching seatbelts or just save a ton and stick with Silver to keep it simple.

The fallback from Sharblue was going back to Crayon paint with the Classic interior, red roof, keep the red callipers and call it a day. I would cxx the GT Silver painted interior trim for brushed alloy but these are minor details.

Thank you again! I'll join the waiting room once I have my spec submitted

Old 07-06-2021, 12:03 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,731 Posts

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Thank you all for the feedback! I based the combo of blue and orange with the samples they had and Lava is borderline red but with a twist hence going with it.

Having slept on it, a combo not mentioned, Crayon, but be an option. I can then pair it with matching seatbelts or just save a ton and stick with Silver to keep it simple.

The fallback from Sharblue was going back to Crayon paint with the Classic interior, red roof, keep the red callipers and call it a day. I would cxx the GT Silver painted interior trim for brushed alloy but these are minor details.

Thank you again! I'll join the waiting room once I have my spec submitted
I don't mind Chalk and I think Shark Blue would work well with yellow accents as well... here is the Chalk with yellow accent version.

CurbKiller (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 12:09 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by CurbKiller

Pretty sure you missed the CXX deadline. It's the same date as PTS and if your build is September you definitely missed that.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:32 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

The cut off I was given was tomorrow EOB. But having just talked directly with Porsche in Germany, all consultants are booked up until Sept and was asked to send any requests via email. Well, too complicated to try and do that under short notice. I was given the opportunity to delay my build by a month to sort this but my gut feeling tells me to drop it.

A Spyder, or any 718 for that matter, looks great even in it's most basic form so just need to get that through my head. The below is what I currently have and for me at least, going to a very black and dark interior is what isn't sitting well. Hence going for Shark Blue to brighten the exterior up and in turn elevate the car as a whole. The pressure is off now to lock a spec and I've got time to ponder different combo's and hopefully track down some actual samples.

On a side note, I asked why the Spider doesn't offer the full complement of available stitching colours and was told it was decided to simply not offer it. No technical reason that I can see. I do feel the Lava Orange would have worked quite well with this blue but sadly it's not on offer. The normal orange might be a bit too tangerine like, hence wanting to find a sample.

I did play with the yellow and it too is an option. I just wouldn't be able to add the carbon brakes as it blows my budget out completely.

Once again, I do appreciate the comments and feedback and great to see actual cars to help with my decision process.

Thanks!

P

Old 07-06-2021, 01:00 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,803 Likes on 865 Posts

Without waiting and trying for CXX, you're basically stuck with black interior and a choice of either black, red, silver, or yellow stitching. You can opt for the upgraded stitching and if you do that, you can "match" Shark Blue with Speed Blue stitching. Although not exactly matching colors, they are both similar on the spectrum in that they're both bright colors and a bit of a "darker" bright (like Voodoo Blue) vs light bright blues such as Riviera Blue or Mexico Blue.

If you want different color leather, you will have to pursue CXX option. Keep in mind that in order to do different color options on the seat, it will require basically a full seat customization at which point, you can also pick whatever stitching color you want for the seat (as long as it's available in inventory.) To change the leather in the rest of the cabin will require a lot of money if even PAG will allow it. Otherwise, you can pick the BGTS 4.0 instead which will give you more options to choose from for leather and stitching and not have to mess with CXX.
CurbKiller (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 01:49 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

You could always (maybe too late now) get one of these “pre-approved” CXX builds:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...0-edition.html
Old 07-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Sharblau and orange stitch fo’ sho.

Miami and yellow looked surprisingly good, I think this combo would have a similar outcome. Black out the calipers though, otherwise too many colours competing.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:51 PM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Without waiting and trying for CXX, you're basically stuck with black interior and a choice of either black, red, silver, or yellow stitching. You can opt for the upgraded stitching and if you do that, you can "match" Shark Blue with Speed Blue stitching. Although not exactly matching colors, they are both similar on the spectrum in that they're both bright colors and a bit of a "darker" bright (like Voodoo Blue) vs light bright blues such as Riviera Blue or Mexico Blue.

If you want different color leather, you will have to pursue CXX option. Keep in mind that in order to do different color options on the seat, it will require basically a full seat customization at which point, you can also pick whatever stitching color you want for the seat (as long as it's available in inventory.) To change the leather in the rest of the cabin will require a lot of money if even PAG will allow it. Otherwise, you can pick the BGTS 4.0 instead which will give you more options to choose from for leather and stitching and not have to mess with CXX.
Thanks for this and specifically for making me take a second look at Speed Blue. When I tried finding pics of this colour the first time, the only one that came up was of a light blue and borderline powder. I did some. ore digging and found another post on Rennlist calling out that the GT3 interior pack in blue is in fact Speed Blue! Did a few more checks and found reference to Speed Blue in the limited edition 992 that was made to compliment the Embraer private jet.

With that said, I submitted a new build to my OPC.

I've also taken some inspiration from your, might I say, stunning build. I've opted for the leather seat backs and a few other bits and bobs to bring it up a notch. The wait. now begins!!

Quick Reply: Colour Advice - Spyder