Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Werks Reunion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 06:05 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlotsj
No, track days are definitely not available during car week. There are sanctioned races going on every day of car week. There are usually at least 3 “Werks Reunion” type events going on at various golf courses the same day as Werks, you need to make sure you have the right golf course. If you don’t have a ticket for Werks you can’t park on the golf course, anywhere, there are cars lining both sides of the road for what seems like miles. You will want a picture of your car parked with a few hundred other boxsters/caymans, in a sea of other Porsches all parked in neat rows and grouped by model. I attended my first Werks Reunion when I bought my first Porsche, the original owner of that car told me she attended Werks every year. I bought the car in Portland. I figured I should attend every year since I live in the Bay Area.

About traffic, I live about 1 1/2 hour drive from Laguna Seca, during car week that is about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. My daughter lives 5 miles from the track, I imagine that would be about 45 minutes to an hour drive during car week.
That sucks about Laguna Seca but so be it.

I just bought the corral pass for $65. Is that what you're referring to when you say you need a ticket to park on the golf course? Thanks for the tip on taking a picture. I can only imagine someone saying I can't find my car but I remember parking next to the (fill-in the blank color) Porsche.

So the traffic sounds like a typical Friday afternoon LA rush hour scenario. 1 to 1.5 hours to go 30 miles is about the norm. So if one were to avoid morning traffic as much as possible, what time do we really need to arrive at the event by? Are you meaning, 5am, 6am, 7am?
Old 06-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

Yes, the corral pass gets you parking on the golf course.

I see they changed to a different Golf Course this year, I just registered myself. You may not be in bad shape traveling away from Monterey toward Seaside in the morning, on Friday evening though I am sure traffic will be terrible anywhere in the area, going any direction.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:33 PM
rooster17
Pro

Received 596 Likes on 236 Posts

I lived in the area for a few years and burned it down during car week. Wouldn’t sweat not driving Laguna Seca. The Rolex Reunion is one of the best events of the week. The Quail Gathering is my favorite event of everything.

Pulled the list of events off this site “https://whatsupmonterey.com/article/...week-overview” and labeled my top 4. Bottom line, there is more to do than there is time to do it. Auctions are worth going to as well. Large concentration of great cars. Recommend you pick the paid events and specific time events you want to do and then fill in the white space with auctions.
  • Monterey Car Week Kick-Off
    August 6, 2021
  • Monterey Pre-Reunion
    August 8 and 9, 2021
  • The Porsche Monterey Classic
    August 9, 2021
  • Worldwide Auctioneers
    August 9 - Aug 12, 2021
  • Classic Motorsports Magazine Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In
    August 10, 2021
  • 3. Concours on the Avenue
    August 10, 2021
  • Automobilia Pop-Up Show (NEW Show this Year!)
    August 10 and 11, 2021
  • McCall's Motorworks Revival
    August 11, 2021
  • Little Car Show
    August 11, 2021
  • Pebble Beach Motoring Classic
    August 11, 2021
  • Prancing Ponies Car Show
    August 11, 2021
  • Mecum Auto Auctions: Muscle Cars & More
    August 12-14, 2020
  • 2. Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion
    August, 12-15, 2021
  • Pebble Beach Tour d'Elegance Presented by Rolex
    August 12, 2021
  • Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum
    August 12 - 14th, 2021
  • Pebble Beach RetroAuto
    August 12 - 15th, 2021
  • Russo and Steele
    August 12 - 14th, 2021
  • 1. The Quail, A Motorsports Gathering
    August 13, 2021
  • Bonhams Quail Lodge Auction
    August 13, 2021
  • Pacific Grove Rotary Concours Auto Rally
    August 13, 2021
  • Werks Reunion
    August 13, 2021
  • Gooding & Company’s Pebble Beach Auctions
    August 13 and 14, 2021
  • RM Sotheby’s Monterey
    August 13, 14, 2021
  • Legends of the Autobahn
    August 14, 2021
  • Concorso Italiano
    August 14, 2021
  • Concours d'LeMons
    Saturday August 14, 2021
  • Annual Ferrari Owners Club Gathering
    August 14, 2021
  • 4. Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance
    Sunday August, 15 2021
  • Exotics on Broadway
    Rescheduled to August 13, 2022
  • Automobilia Monterey Expo
    Rescheduled to August 15, 16, 17 2022
  • Carmel Mission Classic
    Rescheduled to August 10, 2022

Have fun, it’s a great time for a car lover.

Few pictures to motivate you.

The following 2 users liked this post by rooster17:
DFW01TT (07-27-2021), jake18 (08-03-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:27 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Bump. Has anybody received their hang tags for the corral parking?

Just some random thoughts and notes for the trip.
1. Got an app downloaded that allows me to record using both front and rear camera on iPhone. Got a windshield suction mount so it will be nice to get some video going up the coast of inside and outside footage PIP.
2. Car already hit 2000 miles so it is officially broken in and ready for the 8k wail along the coast.
3. Will be doing ppf touch up and windshield protection this Friday so I will have full peace of mind for the front end of the car just in time for the trip.
4. My orders of microfiber towels and waterless wash came in. I plan on mixing a spray bottle for the trip and bringing it for daily touch up.
5. Wife is going with me and this will by far be the longest drive we'll be doing so I'll be interested in seeing how the 18 ways hold up for the long drive. I expect we'll be fine but you never know so I'll report back.
6. With the long drive, I might need her to take over for a little bit. She doesn't want to drive the car but maybe a 30 minute break will be nice for me to nap since we're planning on leaving SoCal early.
7. I need to start looking for some good places to eat. Wife wants steak so if anybody has any good recommendations, please post or PM me. Can be in Monterey but I'd probably prefer it to be outside of the Monterey area just because of the traffic and how crowded it will be. Maybe Santa Cruz. We're actually staying in Redwood City so I'm ok with it being in the SF area too.
8. If you have a sushi recommendation too, I'd like to hear about it.
9. I need to take out our luggage to test fit them in the car. I know the front can fit two carry on sized suitcases but I need to test fit the rear trunk for sure. Hoping a medium size suitcase fits with a little extra space on the sides for filler stuff like my waterless spray bottle and microfiber towels.
10. Does anybody know if PCA in the Monterey area is doing any kind of social meet up on Thursday night?
11. Does anybody have any recommended roads to drive on while in the area?
12. If anybody has or knows somebody with a Gemini Blue Metallic or Azzuro Thetys Metallic car, I'd like to see the color in person if there's a way to make it happen. I'd preferably like to see it on a GT car. (I wish the corral parking would coordinate the colors someway but I know that it way too much work.)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You're staying in RWC for Car Week?! That's a hiiiiiiiikkkkkkeee.

Forbes Mill Steakhouse in Los Gatos is excellent, but it's kinda high end, so if you're looking for a casual, moderate place, it's probably not a great choice.

As far as driving roads go, if you're staying in RWC, take 84 west from 280 up to Alice's (84/35 interchange), stop for breakfast or lunch on the patio, then keep going West on 84 to the coast. When you pull out onto 84 from Alice's to head to the coast, make sure that you let any traffic go a ways before you start off. If you can get open road on that stretch, particularly the beginning third, it's a great sports car road. If you get stuck behind someone going slow, it's like a long, slow root canal... Seriously though, watch out for both motorcyclists and bicyclists there, don't overdrive your sight lines or you might find a bicyclist right at the exit of a corner.

Oh and when you cross the intersection at 35 at Alice's reallllly look both ways before you pull out. Motos will come from either direction, sometimes quickly, and can blend into the background.

Last edited by Archimedes; 07-26-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:55 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Forbes Mill Steakhouse in Los Gatos is excellent, but it's kinda high end, so if you're looking for a casual, moderate place, it's probably not a great choice.

As far as driving roads go, if you're staying in RWC, take 84 west from 280 up to Alice's (84/35 interchange), stop for breakfast or lunch on the patio, then keep going West on 84 to the coast. When you pull out onto 84 from Alice's to head to the coast, make sure that you let any traffic go a ways before you start off. If you can get open road on that stretch, particularly the beginning third, it's a great sports car road. If you get stuck behind someone going slow, it's like a long, slow root canal... Seriously though, watch out for both motorcyclists and bicyclists there, don't overdrive your sight lines or you might find a bicyclist right at the exit of a corner.

Oh and when you cross the intersection at 35 at Alice's reallllly look both ways before you pull out. Motos will come from either direction, sometimes quickly, and can blend into the background.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll map it out and check out the steakhouse. It looks good. The bone-in cowboy cut ribeye has my attention. Let's see what the wifey says.

Yes, RWC is a hike but the way I figured it, I was looking for a place to stay with a garage. Finding a VRBO or AIRBNB in Monterey didn't yield anything. Santa Cruz was slim picking so I expanded my search area. The reason being is because I figured I would only be in the Monterey area for Werks Reunion and then Friday night til Sunday, we'll be checking out the SF area and some others areas I found north of SF so I figured finding a place to stay that was a little more closer to SF was actually better for us. It's really a half way point of Monterey and SF.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
Bump. Has anybody received their hang tags for the corral parking?

Just some random thoughts and notes for the trip.
1. Got an app downloaded that allows me to record using both front and rear camera on iPhone. Got a windshield suction mount so it will be nice to get some video going up the coast of inside and outside footage PIP.
2. Car already hit 2000 miles so it is officially broken in and ready for the 8k wail along the coast.
3. Will be doing ppf touch up and windshield protection this Friday so I will have full peace of mind for the front end of the car just in time for the trip.
4. My orders of microfiber towels and waterless wash came in. I plan on mixing a spray bottle for the trip and bringing it for daily touch up.
5. Wife is going with me and this will by far be the longest drive we'll be doing so I'll be interested in seeing how the 18 ways hold up for the long drive. I expect we'll be fine but you never know so I'll report back.
6. With the long drive, I might need her to take over for a little bit. She doesn't want to drive the car but maybe a 30 minute break will be nice for me to nap since we're planning on leaving SoCal early.
7. I need to start looking for some good places to eat. Wife wants steak so if anybody has any good recommendations, please post or PM me. Can be in Monterey but I'd probably prefer it to be outside of the Monterey area just because of the traffic and how crowded it will be. Maybe Santa Cruz. We're actually staying in Redwood City so I'm ok with it being in the SF area too.
8. If you have a sushi recommendation too, I'd like to hear about it.

9. I need to take out our luggage to test fit them in the car. I know the front can fit two carry on sized suitcases but I need to test fit the rear trunk for sure. Hoping a medium size suitcase fits with a little extra space on the sides for filler stuff like my waterless spray bottle and microfiber towels.
10. Does anybody know if PCA in the Monterey area is doing any kind of social meet up on Thursday night?
11. Does anybody have any recommended roads to drive on while in the area?
12. If anybody has or knows somebody with a Gemini Blue Metallic or Azzuro Thetys Metallic car, I'd like to see the color in person if there's a way to make it happen. I'd preferably like to see it on a GT car. (I wish the corral parking would coordinate the colors someway but I know that it way too much work.)
Flemings or Alexanders for steak, Sundance is also quite good if a little "quaint" ... best Sushi - Nobu P.A ... $$$$

ping me if you want to get together while you are here, as I live in RWC (your commute to LS is going to be Looooooooooonnnnnnnggggg)

as for roads ... 35 to 9 into Santa Cruz is lovely (but slow)

Last edited by Larry Cable; 07-26-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

all of the above!

might be tempted to meet @ Alice's for RL brunch ...

as I mentioned before 84,35,9 to Santa Cruz is beautiful but not fast ... and a lot of people do not comprehend the purpose of passing places ...

Old 07-26-2021, 09:16 PM
Guaji
Racer

Received 283 Likes on 149 Posts

@halfmonkey , I’ll heading up to Monterey from the Santa Monica area on the 11th with a small group of Porsche owners. I am attending with my Carrera T. I bought the corral parking pass and will probably just park with them instead of a specific group of 911 model. I have never been to car week so I can’t wait to hit the road!

Tell Moe Hi when you go in Friday. He did complete PPF and ExoShield on my 2018 Carrara White Metallic T two years ago. I was there a couple of months ago for it’s check up and spa day. It looked like new again.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:25 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Flemings or Alexanders for steak, Sundance is also quite good if a little "quaint" ... best Sushi - Nobu P.A ... $$$$

ping me if you want to get together while you are here, as I live in RWC (your commute to LS is going to be Looooooooooonnnnnnnggggg)

as for roads ... 35 to 9 into Santa Cruz is lovely (but slow)
Alexanders' menu looks delish. Any preference between the SF and Cupertino location? Cupertino looks like there's plenty of parking whereas SF looks like it's typical SF street parking. At least it's not on a 30 degree sloping street. LOL!

For sure, we can meet up. I was talking to another RL member about meeting up so we can try for a group meet but the question is when and where. It could be Friday night after WR or Saturday morning. We leave on Sunday morning. I suppose we can meet Thursday night too but that's when we're driving in so not sure exactly when we'll arrive.
all of the above!

might be tempted to meet @ Alice's for RL brunch ...

as I mentioned before 84,35,9 to Santa Cruz is beautiful but not fast ... and a lot of people do not comprehend the purpose of passing places ...
Originally Posted by Guaji
@halfmonkey , I’ll heading up to Monterey from the Santa Monica area on the 11th with a small group of Porsche owners. I am attending with my Carrera T. I bought the corral parking pass and will probably just park with them instead of a specific group of 911 model. I have never been to car week so I can’t wait to hit the road!

Tell Moe Hi when you go in Friday. He did complete PPF and ExoShield on my 2018 Carrara White Metallic T two years ago. I was there a couple of months ago for it’s check up and spa day. It looked like new again.
Never been to car week either so really looking forward to seeing the cars.

I'll tell him you say hi. Hopefully, I remember. LOL!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Alexanders' menu looks delish. Any preference between the SF and Cupertino location? Cupertino looks like there's plenty of parking whereas SF looks like it's typical SF street parking. At least it's not on a 30 degree sloping street. LOL!

For sure, we can meet up. I was talking to another RL member about meeting up so we can try for a group meet but the question is when and where. It could be Friday night after WR or Saturday morning. We leave on Sunday morning. I suppose we can meet Thursday night too but that's when we're driving in so not sure exactly when we'll arrive.

Never been to car week either so really looking forward to seeing the cars.

I'll tell him you say hi. Hopefully, I remember. LOL!
Alice's restaurant 35 & 84 Saturday am ...
Old 07-27-2021, 12:19 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Alexander’s in Cupertino is very easy to get in and out of, and not that far from RWC. Are you staying in the 280 or 101 side of RWC?
Old 07-27-2021, 12:56 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Alice's restaurant 35 & 84 Saturday am ...
Are there not any good cars & coffee to attend on Saturday morning? I guess under normal days, there will be but with car week, my guess is all of the participants will be in Monterey. I'm planning to be at Alice's at 8am as I have some spots around SF that I want to visit with the car and take some pictures. If anybody is interested, check in and share what car you'll be driving. I'll be driving my Riviera Blue Spyder so be on the look out and say hi. @Merlotsj Are you interested in joining?
Alexander’s in Cupertino is very easy to get in and out of, and not that far from RWC. Are you staying in the 280 or 101 side of RWC?
I looked on the map of where I'm staying it's between the 280 and 101.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:39 AM
Merlotsj
Racer

Received 330 Likes on 133 Posts

@Merlotsj Are you interested in joining?
I’m still debating halfmonkey. I am usually heading out to spend the day at Laguna Seca about 6:30 AM the Saturday after Werks, but my 2 buddies I usually go with both have had family things come up, so they won’t be there this year. Decisions, decisions….

And BTW - just about any Saturday morning at Alice’s is like a cars and coffee. There are plenty of cars and bikes both there and across the street at the general store.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlotsj
I’m still debating halfmonkey. I am usually heading out to spend the day at Laguna Seca about 6:30 AM the Saturday after Werks, but my 2 buddies I usually go with both have had family things come up, so they won’t be there this year. Decisions, decisions….

And BTW - just about any Saturday morning at Alice’s is like a cars and coffee. There are plenty of cars and bikes both there and across the street at the general store.
I was there 2 weeks ago and they closed off the area across the street completely making the only parking available is at Alice.

Quick Reply: Werks Reunion