Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

gt4 factory tires = continental?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 09:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts
Default gt4 factory tires = continental?

Anyone take delivery of their GT4 with continentals on it? at 6:20 in this video the guy says it comes with continentals, and you can see it does have them on it.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:31 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Mine had Michelin Cup 2 (thankfully)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:00 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 355 Posts

No it's either the Pilot Sport Cup 2s or the Dunlop Sport Maxxxxxx Race 2 from the factory for the GT4, at least through 2021 models.

That particular GT4 is basically a used GT4 with 450-some miles (or is it 4500-some miles???) that is on one of those scammy raffle websites:

https://www.dreamgiveaway.com/dg/porsche

The site says "Tires provided by Continental" for pretty much every raffle car available, including the GT4. So maybe they are obligated to put Continentals on all the cars because they are a site sponsor or something.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0-Day:
flynlo (08-13-2021), HooosierDaddy (08-09-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 10:23 PM
Zhao
Drifting

ok good, thank god.

I rather get a $200 voucher to buy my own tires and a car delivered on jackstands than get saddled with 'extreme'contacts
Old 06-21-2021, 08:44 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy

Mine came with the Dunlop Racemaxx 2 and after 4 trackdays the front tires started to delaminate quite severely, as can be seen from photos attached. When I complained to Goodyear they sent out their field rep and eventually did not offer me any discounts on replacement saying that I had gotten the 4 track days' use. This is the first time I've experienced this type of wear as all other brands have never delaminated like these. Needless to say I will not be replacing them with Dunlop RaceMaxx2 or any other tires made by Goodyear. I chose to go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus as the replacement and so far have great results. In addition to being almost as good as the Cup2 in the dry they are superior in the wet and are about 2lbs lighter in total weight of all 4 tires compared to the Cup 2s.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:05 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by tshih
Mine came with the Dunlop Racemaxx 2 and after 4 trackdays the front tires started to delaminate quite severely, as can be seen from photos attached. When I complained to Goodyear they sent out their field rep and eventually did not offer me any discounts on replacement saying that I had gotten the 4 track days' use. This is the first time I've experienced this type of wear as all other brands have never delaminated like these. Needless to say I will not be replacing them with Dunlop RaceMaxx2 or any other tires made by Goodyear. I chose to go with the Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus as the replacement and so far have great results. In addition to being almost as good as the Cup2 in the dry they are superior in the wet and are about 2lbs lighter in total weight of all 4 tires compared to the Cup 2s.

How about more info. Like what was your alignment. What tracks? Etc, etc, etc.

I bet the Conti's would look worse after less track days with the same setup.

Old 06-21-2021, 09:38 PM
tshih
Instructor

The car was running on factory settings as delivered to me last September. I drove to and from all tracks which were in this case Thunderbolt at NJMP in Millville, NJ. I have always driven the cars with factory delivered street specs and have never tried track alignment settings (for more camber etc). I am a BMWCCA, PCA, HOD driving instructor/coach and have always driven on street-legal/competition tires. So far I've been happy running the Pirelli Corsa, Sport Cup, and Continental tires, As far as suspension tuning for increased track performance I'm not willing to trade streetability for more responsive track performance as I am doing DE and not really racing for the best laptime. Also the basis for tuning should always start with a baseline setting which in this case is stock. So I venture to guess that the contis will hold out better than those RaceMaxx and I'll report back after 3 days at Watkins Glen in July later.
The following 2 users liked this post by tshih:
abarthguy (08-09-2021), HelpMeHelpU (07-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2021, 10:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,377 Likes on 836 Posts

The car was running on factory settings as delivered to me last September. I drove to and from all tracks which were in this case Thunderbolt at NJMP in Millville, NJ. I have always driven the cars with factory delivered street specs and have never tried track alignment settings (for more camber etc). I am a BMWCCA, PCA, HOD driving instructor/coach and have always driven on street-legal/competition tires. So far I've been happy running the Pirelli Corsa, Sport Cup, and Continental tires, As far as suspension tuning for increased track performance I'm not willing to trade streetability for more responsive track performance as I am doing DE and not really racing for the best laptime. Also the basis for tuning should always start with a baseline setting which in this case is stock. So I venture to guess that the contis will hold out better than those RaceMaxx and I'll report back after 3 days at Watkins Glen in July later.
1) You know it was OEM settings and NOT off because you verified?
2) And what car(s) were all those street legal competition tires on? Were they on verified OEM settings?
3) As an instructor for all those organizations you should know better about track tire usage!
4) All of the above.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:11 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You got 4 track days? That’s pretty good dude…
The following users liked this post:
daaa nope (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:39 AM
Zhao
Drifting

That tire look overheated, not rolling the edge but the outside is more worn than the inside. doesn't look like it has excessive treadblock wear on one side vs the other side. probably weren't overdriving them too hard because it didn't roll over the edge hard but i'm guessing too high of psi + over driving them a bit + lack of camber that all combined to put too much heat into the outside edge and overheated it. I'm guessing this is on a track with a lot of left hand turns several of which are fast sweepers and the other tire is not not as bad?

I have a RE71R i murdered. rubber detatched from the nylon on the outside. inside tread is like brand new. tread block in middle is worn down to the bottom of the valley on the outside edge but almost brand new on the inside edge. Ran them at 31psi cold which is higher than what they normally like (28 seems to be decent for me) and was doing a lot of edge of adhesive sliding with a factory alignment on track with mid corner bumps... on a track that is like a cheese grater right now for tire wear. I've never done that to a bridgestone before but I blamed my driving for it. I wonder if bridgestone would have covered it... that tire got 2 track days only.

Last edited by Zhao; 06-22-2021 at 01:47 AM.
nova996 (08-13-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 11:26 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

The car was running on factory settings as delivered to me last September.
Congratulations, @tshih you learned the hard way that most Porsches are not delivered with an alignment that promotes tire longevity at the track. There are quite a few threads here about it. I support a fellow in a Focus RS who had the same delamination with Goodyear Supercup 3s because he's running in the Stock class and can't get any more negative camber out of his OEM suspension. I suspect you'll have similar wear / delamination from your Contis (or any other tire) unless you adjust your alignment.

Fortunately, your car has more negative camber available to it—all you need to do is have the OEM suspension components better adjusted for the track. Within what the OEM components allow you aren't going to get to any settings that destroy the streetability of the car (assuming you don't do something wild with the toe). Most folks can get around -1.6° of camber at the rear, and depending on your preference, you can run -1.8° to -2.1° of camber at the front by maxing-out the adjustment at the top of the strut tower and adding shims to your lower control arms. Stick to the stock toe settings and these mild camber settings aren't going to do anything negative to your streetability, but they'll definitely help even out your tire wear.

Thanks for being an instructor with so many groups!
Old 06-22-2021, 12:14 PM
tshih
Instructor

Zhao is totally correct in his assessment of the tires being overheated. Being that I took it to the track at 600 miles (street break-in) and being mindful of the get acquainted period I wasn't putting the car through a severe test of its limits.I drove the car on November 7,8 last year at Thunderbolt starting at 29psi front and 33 psi rears (standard street tire cold specs) and there were no issues. Then the next 2 days were in March of this year and still no issues. It was only in April with BMWCCA that on the 5th track day that I noticed the tire pressures were over 41 psi (normally the fronts should be at 34 and rears at 36 when hot) and saw the delamination in photos posted. Others who ran the 981 GT4 have also suggested getting more neg. camber (1.75 deg front and 2.5 rears) to get better more even wear. My personal philosophy when it comes to changing from OEM settings on Porsche GT cars is the factory engineers deliver a product meant for the owner's intended use. These GT# cars are meant to be driven to and from the tracks and provide a high performance experience that's comparable to a dedicated track/race car with the comforts of A/C and suspension (PASM) settings. Those that want to turn the street optimized settings to track /race car have the means to adjust the suspension and ATRB on these GT# cars to their liking.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:11 AM
tshih
Instructor

Well after 2 full track days at NJMP Lightning (12x 25 min sessions) and 2 full track days at Watkins Glen the new set of Continental Extreme Contact Sport Plus tires that replaced the Dunlop Racemax2 have held up extremely well with even wear all around. The PCCB brake pads still have 60-70% of original pad lining left and I am about to go back to the Glen for another 2 full track days next week with HOD. So the Dunlops were ruined from overinflation and the street alighnment settings or my driving was not the cause for delamination of the front tires after 5 track days.
HelpMeHelpU (07-20-2023)
Old 08-09-2021, 12:25 AM
tshih
Instructor

I have always run the OEM alignment settings on all the cars I track (2010 GT3 and 2020 718 GT4) using Porsche N0 or N1 tires along with the Continentals Extreme contact Sport (which were the least expensive and most durable option). Those tires have never exhibited the kind of overheating and delamination seen with the Dunlop Racemax2 front tires. I have also always worn the tires down to the chords before replacement.
HelpMeHelpU (07-20-2023)
Old 08-09-2021, 02:53 AM
GTChamp
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't expect any of my tires to last 4 track days going 8/10ths or harder. Extreme wear seems reasonable and not something the manufacturer should have to pay you for after 4 days. When we track our cars we're putting an insane level of stress on suspension and motor components. I've seen plenty of tires get to the steel belts during a single track day, not because the tire was garbage but because some people drift, get into wonky slides, etc. Although we should expect the tire to handle the speeds their wear ratings advertise, there is no guarantee as to how long a tire will last in a track day situation. I know NASA does 4 or 5 x 20 minute sessions per day down here. Expect a ton of wear! Also may want more negative camber up front for the track. I personally run at least -2 to -2.5 at the front for track days.

Quick Reply: gt4 factory tires = continental?