Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 Build advice - first P car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 11:32 AM
GT4man
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT4 Build advice - first P car

I'm debating between white and carrara white metallic, silver grey vs. black seat belts, and if I need to add the dual zone climate control or light package. My goal has been to keep the car as pure as possible with a few added luxuries (headlights, stereo and apple carplay). I'm coming from vehicles that have been very bare bones. I don't really like the idea of the fan kicking on every time I start the car and will mostly be driving by myself. Leaning toward the current build linked below but would like the opinion of the experts. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance!
Current build

Old 06-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Regul8415
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Its all personal preference when it comes to colors and such. Do what speaks to you. Between the two whites its hard to tell the difference for me. I do like the contrast in different color belts. Have red in mines and it just pops real nice. As for dual climate control, my fan still turns on at every start no matter which mode I set it on. I've given up on that.
The following users liked this post:
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 03:27 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Looks a lot like my build if I were to do manual and add Bose. I ditched the Sport Chrono as I can't figure out anything that it does that I'll use. I consider good headlights to be a performance modification.
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 03:58 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I can give you my 2 cents when i was trying to build a GTS , i did see the Carrera metallic white and base white at the dealership and liked the base white more as it looked sporty whereas the metallic white looked bit luxury types. The base white with black accents and red seat belts looked awesome
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:14 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 235 Posts

No matter what climate you choose, it never stays "off" between starts. It always turns on in the lowest setting requiring you to move the fan speed down 1 click and turn it off each time.
Even so, I'd rather adjust a single temperature with it on AUTO (climate control) than fiddle with fan speed + air temperature settings.

Other than that, only other note: Chrono package is just a clock on the dashboard without Navigation. If you already know this and are OK with it, then

GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 04:46 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

I would get red belts and/or stitching to break up the interior, and match the brakes
flynlo (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Silver belts may show dirt more than black or red.
I'd get the free leather steering wheel too. Don't like alcantara in high wear areas.
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:37 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I don’t think you’ll miss dual climate or lighting. Dual climate is really just for the auto function imo (I’m getting it for that and to fill buttons, but its more stuff to break. i'm also getting the lighting because its $300).

Both whites look the same from a distance until you park them next to each other. Normal white is warm, as it has yellow in it. Carrara white is colder, as it has a blue tint to it. IMO side by side Carrara looks better, so I’m going with that.
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:40 PM
DP8
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

I have auto climate and I would say you could go without it if typically you like to keep the fan low or off. I don't like having the fans blasting in any of my cars unless it is super hot and auto climate in most cars the fan is set higher than I prefer. If you like having the AC/heat on then definitely get the auto climate.

I usually leave the temp at 68 with it clicked down to 1 fan bar and not on auto. I'll adjust the temp higher in the fall or early spring. If the weather is nice I'll just click it down one notch and it turns off. Have to hit the *** button anyways so turning the temp off has become part of my routine.
GT4man (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 09:27 AM
GT4man
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all of your feedback, I appreciate it! I added the light package and am going back and forth on the seatbelts primarily because I worry the grey may show wear more than a black belt. I do think that the grey handle with the grey belts and the grey stitching look nice together. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:40 PM
Jeff Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 692 Posts

You are down to some core personal choices...I had similar angst in my build. Between white or carrara white, post purchase, I don't think this will be a big regret area as they both look great. I went to the dealership and spent a lot of time looking at available cars and color samples. In the end, I chose basic white because I think the flatter white looks better on a sports car, I think the slightly warmer base white photographs better (may seem odd but that's my main hobby) and it allowed me to save some coin. The metallic flake carrara white still looks great but I preferred basic white.

I was all kinds of torn on the interior stitching. I excluded yellow early on...for me there was something about it that looked a bit busy on the interior. I love red interior stitching and if I was in your situation with red calipers, I would be tempted to go red stitching, red belts and that would give you matching red pull handles. I debated getting silver stitching and then adding yellow belts but that would mean the belts and the door pulls would be different colors. Given they are both the same type of material and noticeable, I would have had to purchase yellow pull handles from Suncoast to match. In the end I went silver stitching and silver belts. I had the chance to sit in a 4.0 GTS with silver stitching and I loved it. A nice contrast but not quite as busy as other options. I have silver belts in my Turbo S and they hold up just fine. Perhaps they show dirt more than other colors but my Turbo S is a 2011 and they looked clean to me. Another benefit was this was the cheaper option because all I had to pay for was the matching silver belts.
GT4man (07-05-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:44 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Color is difficult

Here on options I would recommend after building and owning several GT cars.

Nav + Apple Car
Lighting Package if you plan to wire tap for radar detector
Dual Zone so you can set it and forget once car is on. Just click the button and come on and click off before shutting the car off.
Grey seat belts show dirt easily if you plan to go to the track but if not, they will look great. I like to match gauge cluster and belts to have some color.
Just my $0.02 and congrats on spec'ing your new GT car.
GT4man (07-05-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 01:35 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4man
Thanks for all of your feedback, I appreciate it! I added the light package and am going back and forth on the seatbelts primarily because I worry the grey may show wear more than a black belt. I do think that the grey handle with the grey belts and the grey stitching look nice together. Thanks again.
Do the grey belts then, what wear you'll see will take a very very long time. Any dirt can be cleaned easily unless you're the type of guy that eats KFC in the car and uses the seatbelt as a napkin.
GT4man (06-23-2021)

Quick Reply: GT4 Build advice - first P car