Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GTS/GT4/Spyder ownership feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 03:20 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

It's overall an execellent little mid engine p-car, mine is Spyder. The exciment really depneds on the level perceived from previous cars.
With that, there is only one disappointment from my personal experiences... I feel the enigne could be more powerful (both low & high-end) to give me a real thrill~
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Driv200
Racer

Received 296 Likes on 119 Posts

GT4 manual!
All the options.

What a dream! Weekend toy. Canyon and track machine. Date night. Stress reliever. You name it. Makes me feel special. Haven’t gone to track yet. Coming from track cars, I think it’s too pretty to take on track. But that’s ridiculous to say in a car built with this purpose. I have been tracking for 25 years and I can’t wait to take this car. It’s just so great on the road I’m getting tons of smiles. Porsche has a way of making the whole experience special everytime.

I have become a Rennlist nerd. Wash and detailed a few times in first 1000 miles and keep looking at it. It grows on me every time. That paint! Wow!

Exhaust on the way!
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:19 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
It's overall an execellent little mid engine p-car, mine is Spyder. The exciment really depneds on the level perceived from previous cars.
With that, there is only one disappointment from my personal experiences... I feel the enigne could be more powerful (both low & high-end) to give me a real thrill~
That's great to hear!

I don't know your driving style or how many Porsches you've owned etc... and please no offence if I've got this wrong, but many people new to Porsche tend to drive them in the lower rev bands, shifting early below the full power is reached. You can see in the graph below of the 718 4.0 engine that full torque is not reached until 4500 RPMs and full HP not until a screaming 7500 rpms. So if like many, a driver shifts at 3000 (common) as the engine makes more noise, then the engine would appear to be sluggish.

And thus the anecdotal piece of advice "Drive your Porsche like you stole it!" is fitting. You've got to squeeze out the torgue and power.

Release your inner outlaw! WOT!

P.s. If you re-examine the graph, perhaps the "sweet spot" is just shy of 7000 RPM where both torque and hp are high. I can't say for sure but I'll find out in a month.

Last edited by Zeus993; 06-13-2021 at 12:49 PM.
DFW01TT (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:48 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 965 Likes on 456 Posts

Spyder. Raucous and raw, the polar opposite of the 992 polished gentleman's sports car, GT3 excluded. Sounds good with the top up, better with the top down, no reason to have bluetooth for your phone because all you'll ever say is let me call you back.
It's the rebellious choice compared to all the others. You may be tempted to buy a pack of Lucky Strikes and roll them up in your t shirt sleeve and hit the road with no care of the speed limits because dammit the engine sings best when you're breaking the law and you're a rebel driving a rebel's car so who cares anyway. It looks good enough to be a poser's car if that's your thing, but it's better as a driver's car because every time you push it hard it makes you feel that life will be way too short. I like mine.
The following 6 users liked this post by clutchplate:
DP8 (06-14-2021), Freddie Two Bs (06-13-2021), ngamountains (06-13-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-13-2021), SpeedySpidey (06-13-2021), Zeus993 (06-13-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2021, 09:24 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,282 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Spyder. Raucous and raw, the polar opposite of the 992 polished gentleman's sports car, GT3 excluded. Sounds good with the top up, better with the top down, no reason to have bluetooth for your phone because all you'll ever say is let me call you back.
It's the rebellious choice compared to all the others. You may be tempted to buy a pack of Lucky Strikes and roll them up in your t shirt sleeve and hit the road with no care of the speed limits because dammit the engine sings best when you're breaking the law and you're a rebel driving a rebel's car so who cares anyway. It looks good enough to be a poser's car if that's your thing, but it's better as a driver's car because every time you push it hard it makes you feel that life will be way too short. I like mine.
BAMM! Nailed it. LIKE A BOSS!
Old 06-13-2021, 10:21 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Couldn't agree more

Originally Posted by clutchplate
Absolutely 100% AGREE!
$0.02 input: Heel toe when you want to and rev-match when you feel like it.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:42 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

There really is no new car like the 718 Spyder. It's a cheap, reliable supercar which has peers from 20 years ago like the Ferrari F360 and Honda NSX. If that's your kind of car, you should try and get one.
Get the manual, turn off the nannies. Get leather. Get carbon-ceramic brakes. Get the seats that fit you best. Get the LED headlights if you drive at night. Other options to taste. That is all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Antipodean:
dnimi123 (06-14-2021), Zeus993 (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:29 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Awful car. Gearing’s too long, exhaust isn’t loud enough to wake the dead, gearbox grinds when all you do is try to shift without fully depressing the clutch pedal, and the handling is ‘horrible’ unless you spend major coin bolting on some pure awesomeness from the JC Whitney catalog. Oh, and drag your brakes all day in the canyons like a student driver and the brake fluid will apparently boil. Don’t even get me started on those cheap fixed seats. All that money and Porsche couldn’t have made them recline? Seriously, what’s up with that?

Hate my GT4. If the market for used cars wasn’t so dead, I’d sell it tomorrow.
Pretty much spot on! Not sure $750 for adjustable toe links is 'major coin', but its absolutely the #1 mod that you must do to this car! Lets see when the GT4RS comes out and they 'fix' all these issues and make it a true GT car. Otherwise all you have now is the best Cayman and not even yet a base 911 competitor off the showroom floor. Its a nice track or weekend car for some spirited driving.... Dont get me wrong I like and enjoy it, but it has a very limited appeal and needs some work out of the box...
Old 06-14-2021, 03:20 AM
momo360
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
CGTS 4.0 - Exceptional all around sports car. Most of my driving is unfortunately in the city although I try to get out to some country and back roads once a month or so. Don’t really do track days regularly anymore but plan on doing a few upcoming. Previously had a GT car with buckets and the road noise, stiffness, and ground clearance I didn’t quite like except on the track where it was sublime and where I still miss it. GTS with SPASM (probably my only must have feature which is thankfully standard) and 4 way seats is perfect for my current use. Very Comfortable and quiet enough for long trips or daily driving and zero problems with ground clearance. Extremely capable spiritied driver. The engine is the best part - smooth, progressive, powerful, and rewarding to rev out. The suspension is agile and versatile yet sporty and adequately stiff at the same time without being overbearing for the road. Manual transmission + clutch combo is the best I have ever experienced and highly addictive. Don’t really mind the gearing but as others have said you have to use 1st gear as an actual working gear that you wind out and regularly downshift into which is kind of cool and unique. I now think the exhaust sound is good and appreciate it more after about close to 2000 miles but I did order an aftermarket exhaust months ago because I was initially underwhelmed. My only gripe with the car is not being able to turn off auto rev match - I hate that feature and it is not defeatable in sport or sport plus mode so I just drive in normal mode. All in all I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these cars or seats or transmissions - each combo or variation is subjectively better depending on the individual and their personal preferences or usage. You don’t need many options either just the essence of the car is more than enough.l

Thanks for the review! I have a GTS 4.0 on order and this is great to hear! But out of curiosity, what about auto rev match do you hate? Does it work poorly? Or is it clunky in operation?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:15 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Moiz Mian
Thanks for the review! I have a GTS 4.0 on order and this is great to hear! But out of curiosity, what about auto rev match do you hate? Does it work poorly? Or is it clunky in operation?
It works fine and as intended I just don’t care for the feature. One of the main reasons I enjoy a manual is to rev match myself. It would be nice if it had its own button to toggle on/off like in the gt4/spyder.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:26 PM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 535 Likes on 320 Posts

'21 Spyder, 2,500 miles in 7 months and very likely a dead man's car for me. I was thrilled for 5 years with my 981BS with the Soul valved exhaust until I read about the Spyder. It is exactly what I hoped the Boxster would become since my 986BS.
The ride quality is fantastic for a traditional sports car, these things have come so far. Comfort is wonderful, it fits like a glove. Noise with the top up, I don't care, it never becomes noticeable to me.
I love the Classic interior, it's not for everyone though. LED lights if you drive at night, smokers package for the trickle charger lighter/ash tray. Supplemental safety bars in body color unless your car is black.
Power delivery is great, sometimes after dinner I just go out for some 3rd gear highway pulls and the torque will nauseate me after a time.
I could only imagine that the latest Speedster is better, but it's ugly when compared to the Spyder, and stupidly expensive. YMMV
P-car-Vancouver (06-15-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 02:53 PM
Litt
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

'21 Spyder, 2200 miles. I have owned about 40 cars in the last 20 years and this is by far the best one. I haven't really ever just looked for reasons to go driving, do an errand, or just be in the car. I look forward in the morning to taking it to work, I look forward in the afternoon to driving it home, I look forward to Saturday mornings when I can open it up on the back roads, I look forward to detailing it. It is a very special car and you are reminded of it every time you drive it or around it (even when putting the top down). Power is great, drive is fantastic (especially in the 45-75 range), quality is top notch, feel is top notch, styling is one of the best Porsche has done IMO, exhaust is sufficient above 4k RPMs (could be louder for my taste below this). I get stopped anytime I take it out to ask questions about it. It has good street presence but not over the top.
The following 5 users liked this post by Litt:
bubbledragon (06-14-2021), dnimi123 (06-14-2021), Manoverpdk (06-15-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-15-2021), UncleDude (06-14-2021)

Quick Reply: GTS/GT4/Spyder ownership feedback