Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Somewhat ignorant exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 02:26 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Somewhat ignorant exhaust question

So what are the basic components of the exhaust system. Is it headers/manifolds...then over axle pipes...then the exhaust with resonators and such? If I were buying a cull aftermarket system, am I buying 3 parts or sections? And where does the particulate filter fit in all of that? And if I delete the PFs does that add another part to replace the missing piece?

Thanks in advance. I just want to be educated going into this thing.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:02 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by flynlo
So what are the basic components of the exhaust system. Is it headers/manifolds...then over axle pipes...then the exhaust with resonators and such? If I were buying a cull aftermarket system, am I buying 3 parts or sections? And where does the particulate filter fit in all of that? And if I delete the PFs does that add another part to replace the missing piece?

Thanks in advance. I just want to be educated going into this thing.
Three or four sections depending on who's counting. Headers, OAPs, muffler, tips. I suppose some would include the muffler and tips as one piece. The OAPs in stock form contain the particulate filters and the aftermarket ones replace with an OAP that doesn't have the filter in it.
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:57 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 78 Posts

I found this video to be super helpful. It has good visualizations of different components of an exhaust system.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.JDK:
DFW01TT (06-07-2021), NeoLeo (09-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Somewhat ignorant exhaust question