Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Coolant level from factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:13 AM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coolant level from factory

Hello guys, can you please check and post photos of the coolant level of your 4,0 l engine (when new, with factory fill)? I checked mine after 3000 km, and it was below min. level. Be aware, that there is stick indicator (different from 4-cylinder versions) and it seems, that the window between min. and max. is very narrow. Is it normal, that during break-in period the coolant level decreases slightly (maybe self-bleeding)? Thank you.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:45 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

My '16' GT4 had the same issue. Topped it off and never had the issue again.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:24 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

Same here.

Howard
Old 06-01-2021, 04:07 PM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

Thank you guys. Can please owners of 4,0 l engines post, what the coolant level was when the car was new (after delivery)?
Old 06-01-2021, 06:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Refer to the OM, add coolant only if one of the two warning lights is on.

If no warning lights only add if none visible at BASE of coolant standpipe.

The max level at the top of the standpipe is only for adding coolant when responding to a warning light.

Have you tried to see to the base of the standpipe? Think you have to do some disassembly..

Personally, with no warning lights and temps normal I’m not investigating further.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

It is strange, that the manual from the car (and also Porsche good to know app) talks about the coolant system on 4-cylinder engines. GT4 / Spyder / GTS 4.0 is different. No, no coolant was visible at all in my car. 4,0 l engine has a red stick, even this one was at the bottom (MIN level or below, you cannot determine that). Today I checked another new CGTS 4.0 in showroom (brand new) and it was the same - no visible coolant, stick at the bottom. I think that it would be normal to see that between MIN and MAX.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:32 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_46
It is strange, that the manual from the car (and also Porsche good to know app) talks about the coolant system on 4-cylinder engines. GT4 / Spyder / GTS 4.0 is different. No, no coolant was visible at all in my car. 4,0 l engine has a red stick, even this one was at the bottom (MIN level or below, you cannot determine that). Today I checked another new CGTS 4.0 in showroom (brand new) and it was the same - no visible coolant, stick at the bottom. I think that it would be normal to see that between MIN and MAX.
The min/max at the TOP of the standpipe is for adding coolant when directed.

The small diameter standpipe is simply a mechanism to get the fluid to the reservoir/system.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:14 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 190 Posts

just checked the other day and it was low. picked up a gallon at the dealer today + some distilled water and topped it off.
thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:33 PM
Jedi_46
Intermediate

OK guys, I added some coolant and was looking for a coolant level to come between MIN and MAX. Then the red stick suddenly came out and now it is slightly over MAX. Is there any chance to remove some coolant and does it require some disassembly?
Old 06-13-2021, 10:59 PM
hmintz
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine did the same thing even though I was adding coolant in small incremental amounts. No harm done.

Howard
Old 06-14-2021, 12:44 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_46
OK guys, I added some coolant and was looking for a coolant level to come between MIN and MAX. Then the red stick suddenly came out and now it is slightly over MAX. Is there any chance to remove some coolant and does it require some disassembly?
The MIN/MAX is to be used only when you get a warning light and is an indicator of how much to put in — it’s the top of the stand pipe. The red stick is to warn you that you’re almost there so you don’t splash coolant in your car.

Again, the MIN/MAX is not for checking coolant level, only for adding.

I’d call your OPC and ask service if there is an overfull issue.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:54 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Not surprisingly the info in the manual is confusing at best.

First, we have this: If the symbol (yellow level) or (red level) is not displayed with a message requesting that the coolant be topped up, only top up if no coolant is visible at the base of the standpipe. The MAX marking only applies during refilling itself as the level in the standpipe drops after the engine is first started.
We need to define “base of standpipe.” Anyone? The above suggests adding coolant even if no warning light if no coolant is visible at the base.

Next is this:
  1. Read the coolant level. The coolant level must be below the MAX marking. (no coolant level visible at base of standpipe).
Huh?

FWIW this is my brand new car, stone cold. I’m not messing with it as long as my temp is good and no warning lights.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:56 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 379 Posts

The good news is that once our water pumps start to leak dealers will address this poorly and we will still be scratching our heads

Quick Reply: Coolant level from factory