Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

V200 to V150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 03:37 PM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JCZ5
Care to share what changes you’re making to your build? Would like to know what would cause something to be pushed back. If it is an “exclusive manufacture” option, I understand. But if it is just a standard item, I would assume it should not affect your build date.
I'm not sure that's a safe assumption. I'm sure there's a fairly robust check and planning process these builds go through before they're moved to V200. I wouldn't be surprised if ANY change (other than say port-installed accessorries of course) forced this process to start over. As Larry Cable noted, Porsche uses a "just in time" supply chain methodology. Any changes can be pretty disruptive.

Last edited by nobbyv; 06-04-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:49 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I am quite familiar with JIT assembly, but it’s so far out at this point that it shouldn’t have that kind of impact. I am still on the fence about one item but afraid to make more changes.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:56 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I am quite familiar with JIT assembly, but it’s so far out at this point that it shouldn’t have that kind of impact. I am still on the fence about one item but afraid to make more changes.
my point wrt JIT was that your car would not be sitting the chassis/paint shop for a month ... as for the impact of any changes, its down to the internal processes ... you could change something as trivial as deleting or
adding the smokers package and that would reset your order regardless ...
Old 06-04-2021, 09:00 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Okay, gotcha. Someone wrote that cars actually sit on the production line during hiatus.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Okay, gotcha. Someone wrote that cars actually sit on the production line during hiatus.
welll ... they might during the factory holiday in Aug... more likely that they "drain" the line prior.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:34 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
welll ... they might during the factory holiday in Aug... more likely that they "drain" the line prior.
Yes, I don’t know. I have visited Porsche but not their production line.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:20 PM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, I don’t know. I have visited Porsche but not their production line.
I ordered a 981 GTS. It went to body shop Just before August holiday and then sat somewhere along the production line before completion during the holiday. Another guy's 981 GTS went to body shop a day or 2 before min, completed production and made it to port just prior to factory shutdown. That 1 or 2 days later entry to body shop resulted in my car's entry to Emden 3 weeks later than the other guy's.
The following users liked this post:
Dan Nagy (06-06-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourFourTwo
I ordered a 981 GTS. It went to body shop Just before August holiday and then sat somewhere along the production line before completion during the holiday. Another guy's 981 GTS went to body shop a day or 2 before min, completed production and made it to port just prior to factory shutdown. That 1 or 2 days later entry to body shop resulted in my car's entry to Emden 3 weeks later than the other guy's.
Once a car exits the body/paintshop (it crosses over the road), and it enters and exits the production line on the same day ... along with around 150 others ... well worth the factory tour to see this in Zuffenhausen
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,840 Likes on 996 Posts

Once a car exits the body/paintshop (it crosses over the road), and it enters and exits the production line on the same day ... along with around 150 others ... well worth the factory tour to see this in Zuffenhausen
Crazy that a car is built in a day. I would love to see that. Is it correct that the August shutdown lasts the entire month of August?
Old 06-09-2021, 09:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
Crazy that a car is built in a day. I would love to see that. Is it correct that the August shutdown lasts the entire month of August?
its less than a day .. the car comes from the body/paintshop over a road and enters the "production line" at the top of the building on a "sled", which moves along the line, then
takes an elevator to the next lower floor at about 1m/3mins if I recall correctly... it then emerges on the ground floor ... the "line" is located on multiple floors, this is because the
Zuffenhausen site is the original Porsche location and there is no room for the "modern" car factory and lines...

The car has a bar code located on the back which is scanned upon entry to the line, and the JIT system delivers the necessary parts to the various stations on the line prior to
the car arriving at the station, e.g if you have colored seatbelts, or a particular wheel, and seat (colors/types) ... all show up to be installed on 'your' car as it passes by

The Zuffenhausen line, again as I recall, produces around 150 cars/day... and yes the factory is on vacation for the entire month of August - lucky Germans!

the factory tour and museum are well worth a visit to Stuttgart
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
M3Inline6 (06-09-2021), P-car-Vancouver (06-16-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:31 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,840 Likes on 996 Posts

its less than a day .. the car comes from the body/paintshop over a road and enters the "production line" at the top of the building on a "sled", which moves along the line, then
takes an elevator to the next lower floor at about 1m/3mins if I recall correctly... it then emerges on the ground floor ... the "line" is located on multiple floors, this is because the
Zuffenhausen site is the original Porsche location and there is no room for the "modern" car factory and lines...

The car has a bar code located on the back which is scanned upon entry to the line, and the JIT system delivers the necessary parts to the various stations on the line prior to
the car arriving at the station, e.g if you have colored seatbelts, or a particular wheel, and seat (colors/types) ... all show up to be installed on 'your' car as it passes by

The Zuffenhausen line, again as I recall, produces around 150 cars/day... and yes the factory is on vacation for the entire month of August - lucky Germans!

Thanks for that. It painted quite the visual.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:07 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

I had the pleasure to host a private dinner event at the museum for about 100 people. We had docents take us through the museum to show us Porsche’s incredible history and well worth the trip if you are in the area. It’s such a shame that I didn’t make the time to view the production line. Stuttgart city center has also been revitalized and nice to visit. I’m going to try to get there next year when I’m in Germany.

As attractive as it sounds, I wouldn’t want to do Euro delivery. I could never get into the car, drive it for a few weeks, then give it back to shipping for a month.
nobbyv (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 09:13 AM
nobbyv
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

As attractive as it sounds, I wouldn’t want to do Euro delivery. I could never get into the car, drive it for a few weeks, then give it back to shipping for a month.
I did Euro delivery on a BMW years ago. I agree: getting to drive the car, but then having to hand it back and wait 4-6 weeks to have it again is torturous.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
I did Euro delivery on a BMW years ago. I agree: getting to drive the car, but then having to hand it back and wait 4-6 weeks to have it again is torturous.
They should do a “pseudo-delivery”. While your car is on the boat coming over you can fly in, take the tour, and drive a similar car around Europe.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:18 AM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

They should do a “pseudo-delivery”. While your car is on the boat coming over you can fly in, take the tour, and drive a similar car around Europe.
There is Porsche Drive, which is basically Porsche's rental service.
Dan Nagy (06-12-2021)

Quick Reply: V200 to V150?