Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Carbonio's NEW Center Removable No-Drill License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 10:27 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 673 Posts

Yes, installed mine. Very nice, if not a bit pricey. It does the job so its worth it not to have to think/worry about. So I say its a buy if you want a clean look removable front license plate solution..
The following 2 users liked this post by dnimi123:
Carbonio (06-09-2021), Zeus993 (07-20-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 10:39 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Yes, installed mine. Very nice, if not a bit pricey. It does the job so its worth it not to have to think/worry about. So I say its a buy if you want a clean look removable front license plate solution..
I love it dnimi123...$110,000 (+) car and you mention 'pricey' for a $159 option that allows legal front license display...don't get me wrong, not trying to start an argument....but all things are relative....IE, when my wife buys a 'vintage' mid-century plate ( a freaking dish) for $100, she calls it a DEAL, where as I think it's INSANE....
What would be a price point that you think is NOT 'pricey'? It does everything you want it to do, and I'm not aware of anything else available on the market that is similar that does what this option does.....in my book, they could charge more and justify it....awaiting your thoughts.....(and again, not trying to argue, just curious my friend)
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
I love it dnimi123...$110,000 (+) car and you mention 'pricey' for a $159 option that allows legal front license display...don't get me wrong, not trying to start an argument....but all things are relative....IE, when my wife buys a 'vintage' mid-century plate ( a freaking dish) for $100, she calls it a DEAL, where as I think it's INSANE....
What would be a price point that you think is NOT 'pricey'? It does everything you want it to do, and I'm not aware of anything else available on the market that is similar that does what this option does.....in my book, they could charge more and justify it....awaiting your thoughts.....(and again, not trying to argue, just curious my friend)
There is a similar Mustang kit for $59 (yes, cabonio, we know yours is better). Plus, I used to have it place on the splitter with a bit of weatherstrip tape (until some homeless hag stole it cause I didnt have a cigarette). There are also magnets, velcro, etc... so under $100 would be nice (as their actual cost is probably $35 or less) but yes we who have these cars can afford it and as I said I think is worth it overall when trading dollars for parts and time and convenience. Hope that helps, Belly Boy!
Old 06-10-2021, 12:58 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
... so under $100 would be nice (as their actual cost is probably $35 or less) but yes we who have these cars can afford it and as I said I think is worth it overall when trading dollars for parts and time and convenience. Hope that helps, Belly Boy!
Their cost is of no concern to you or me, the only thing that matters is, do you accept their value proposition on the part? Since you seem to see the benefit at the price offered, forget their margin and enjoy the product.
minn19 (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 01:20 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Their cost is of no concern to you or me, the only thing that matters is, do you accept their value proposition on the part? Since you seem to see the benefit at the price offered, forget their margin and enjoy the product.
I just said it was pricey, which it certainly is for what you get. A Porsche, in general, is pricey for what you get, so it follows that its accessories would generally follow this principle. It even has a name "Porsche Tax". Regardless of the manufacturing costs, I just thought given the other valid options that Under $100 would be better.
Old 06-10-2021, 02:45 AM
Cpt Voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 37 Posts

I received mine and will install this weekend.

I wasn't happy that instructions were not included. I know the pdf is on the website, but at this price, come on.
DFW01TT (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 11:25 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpt Voodoo
I received mine and will install this weekend.

I wasn't happy that instructions were not included. I know the pdf is on the website, but at this price, come on.
It's seriously that big of a deal for you to bring your phone out with you when you install it? Most things are going this way.
FASTRKMAN (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 12:05 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Any special for local Toronto fellow if pick it up in person? Also will there be a version for FK8 Civic too?
Old 06-10-2021, 12:24 PM
Carbonio
Former Vendor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

As a company and as enthusiasts we hate the idea of a 'tax' because the product is for a Ferrari, Porsche, or whatever more expensive item. Pricing is a function of engineering and manufacturing costs relative to the overall market and lifecycle of a product. For this reason we have designs that are shared across many platforms allowing for a lower price and regardless of the brand everyone pays the same. For the record our manufacturing cost is MUCH MUCH higher than $35. By production standards our volumes are barely removed from prototype numbers with custom forming tooling being way too expensive unless we were making tens of thousands of units at a time. All parts are CNC cut and formed but handled by hand at all steps. Manufacturing in North America is expensive and we have no interest of going to China because it is cheaper. The advantage is that we can really control the process and be sure of quality.

Regarding instructions, we took the decision to go full digital on instructions almost a decade ago. It was a combination of customer feedback and a desire to be a little more green that fueled the decision. Further to this we try to be minimal with our packaging with no flash. Our distribution model is direct to dealers and consumers with no retail presence. Plain packaging easy to inventory and is less likely to be stolen in transit. We try to put our efforts into a superior product and customer service because we are all car nuts and like dealing with similar people.
The following 10 users liked this post by Carbonio:
Big Belly 711 (06-10-2021), bill3 (04-21-2022), FASTRKMAN (06-10-2021), halfmonkey (06-10-2021), minn19 (06-10-2021), Russv (06-10-2021), StilettoPat (06-10-2021), StormRune (07-19-2021), UncleDude (06-10-2021), Zeus993 (07-20-2021) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-10-2021, 10:39 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Just put in my order for the low mount version. Thanks for making these products and givings us options.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
Carbonio (06-10-2021), Zeus993 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 03:38 PM
flyingbear
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ordered mine and received it about a week ago from Carbonio. The plate holder assembly was pre-assembled backwards and the instructions have no illustrations / photos to show what the correct assembly is supposed to look like. It wasn't until I adhered the receptacle and plate holder to the car that I realized it was wrong. The plate holder wanted to slide into the car in order to "quick release". Obviously, this is wrong since the plate will run into the bumper.

The quick release is supposed to allow the plate to slide away from the car. I removed the foam core adhesive from the car and the receptacle with dental floss and re-assemble the two stainless-steel screws to flip the holder assembly around to the correct orientation. Unfortunately, the other 3M tape I had in the garage didn't hold and the plate assembly fell off my car in the garage (thankfully not on the street).

I emailed Carbonio a few days ago and will hopefully receive the correct adhesive tape and adhesion promotor to properly re-install things.

If you are installing this item, I recommend checking the orientation of the plate holder assembly. It should match the photos previously posted in this thread. Mine was the reverse of what was posted as received.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:09 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Is Carbonio running any labor day special ?
Old 04-21-2022, 01:56 PM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

reviving this thread for a couple questions specific to GTS 4.0 installations

does the install on the GTS 4.0 involve double sided tape?
I was reading the installation instructions and it seems that once the install is done you can quickly remove the plate and bracket but the mount remains in place, is it very visible?

Old 04-21-2022, 02:28 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by baege

I was reading the installation instructions and it seems that once the install is done you can quickly remove the plate and bracket but the mount remains in place, is it very visible?
the mount that holds the plate and bracket uses an adhesiive that is VERY strong....the mount stays on the car and is almost invisible....seriously, most people wouldn't even see it unless they were looking for it.....and the plate/bracket can be pulled off quickly and easily.....if for some reason you wanted to remove the mount, you can remove it but it involves removing the adhesive...you can likely email their customer service and I think they might have videos on their website or on youtube...I'm not at ALL handy and was able to install easily...
baege (04-22-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 02:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by baege

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
the mount that holds the plate and bracket uses an adhesiive that is VERY strong....the mount stays on the car and is almost invisible....seriously, most people wouldn't even see it unless they were looking for it.....and the plate/bracket can be pulled off quickly and easily.....if for some reason you wanted to remove the mount, you can remove it but it involves removing the adhesive...you can likely email their customer service and I think they might have videos on their website or on youtube...I'm not at ALL handy and was able to install easily...
For this mount that is attached to the underside of the front bumper, I believe I read somewhere some time ago that you're not supposed to use this mount if you have ppf on the area where the adhesive will go.

Quick Reply: Carbonio's NEW Center Removable No-Drill License Plate Mount