Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

WHY no Android auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 PM
Roller12
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default WHY no Android auto?

I have a bgts.4.0 in command. I dislike absolutely car play and apple for x reasons. Why no Android auto? It is not acceptable in 2021...for a car of more than 100,000 $. With delays for connecting rods and luxury taxes in Canada, i question my reservation. Hey Porsche... more people on this planet bougt Android instead of apple. Wake up!
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Bill (05-08-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:00 PM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 190 Posts

listen, my wife's Audi SQ5 and VW Atlas has more features that came standard for half the price of my GT4. it has been given that you have to pay more for less with Porsche. this has always been a given for years now. so, you will have to just dive in and accept it or buy something else. LOL!

Last edited by 2PUTT; 05-07-2021 at 11:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 2PUTT:
Alpha Ice (05-08-2021), Frank Torres (05-08-2021), Jim Rockford (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 11:49 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
listen, my wife's Audi SQ5 and VW Atlas has more features that came standard for half the price of my GT4. it has been given that you have to pay more for less with Porsche. this has always been a given for years now. so, you will have to just dive in and accept it or buy something else. LOL!
frustratingly accurate... this is a pretty comprehensive statement
Old 05-08-2021, 12:03 AM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
frustratingly accurate... this is a pretty comprehensive statement
I have heard someone say...

Q: Why do they do that?
A: Because Porsche can.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:23 AM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

2 things: 1) Android Auto will be added for MY22 (which doesn't help you); 2) your car already has Android Auto. It shares the same radio as the Audi. I bought the base radio (+Bose): no nav, no connect, nothing and had someone activate it remotely. There is a guy out of like Croatia who did it for me. He can also activate nav (which is also part of the hardware installed but not activated) and voice control (again, hardware is there, just has to be activated). You basically get a burner laptop (can't be too careful), one of several models of USB-ethernet adapters that he's found that work, and when set up, work with him via What'sApp. Pay via PayPal. He didn't ask for money until he was done and showed it worked. DM if you want contact info. The only drawback is you can't let your Porsche update your radio if a software update comes out from Porsche because if you do, then it will basically reset everything and you'll have to pay Sima again. There is another group out of Hong Kong, I think that does the same thing but I went with Sima and was happy with his work. I've also ordered an Wireless Android Auto adapter (it's on Indiegogo or Kickstarter) and when that arrives, the whole thing will be more seamless.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:10 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Their sister company Audi is at least a generation ahead of Porche with regards to technology. All the RS and R Audi models display individual tire temperature and pressure for example.
Now if they could do something about the driving position and driving dynamics.

Sadly, can only select one - a driver's car, or a tech weenie car.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:16 AM
Roller12
Advanced

Originally Posted by GusRandall
2 things: 1) Android Auto will be added for MY22 (which doesn't help you); 2) your car already has Android Auto. It shares the same radio as the Audi. I bought the base radio (+Bose): no nav, no connect, nothing and had someone activate it remotely. There is a guy out of like Croatia who did it for me. He can also activate nav (which is also part of the hardware installed but not activated) and voice control (again, hardware is there, just has to be activated). You basically get a burner laptop (can't be too careful), one of several models of USB-ethernet adapters that he's found that work, and when set up, work with him via What'sApp. Pay via PayPal. He didn't ask for money until he was done and showed it worked. DM if you want contact info. The only drawback is you can't let your Porsche update your radio if a software update comes out from Porsche because if you do, then it will basically reset everything and you'll have to pay Sima again. There is another group out of Hong Kong, I think that does the same thing but I went with Sima and was happy with his work. I've also ordered an Wireless Android Auto adapter (it's on Indiegogo or Kickstarter) and when that arrives, the whole thing will be more seamless.
Thank you GusRandall. My order will probably be transformed in a 2022... Where did you see that 2022 cars will have it? Your infos could be a good solution if my car is finally à 2021.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:19 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

My understanding of the original reason for no Android Auto is that Porsche considered the data dumps from Android equipped cars that Google wanted was unreasonable. They were willing to provide data directly related to the performance of the software, but Google wanted all sorts of engine and other data. Since then the issue apparently has been resolved and Android Auto is now available in the 911. I assume that it will likely filter down to other models in usual Porsche fashion.
The following 3 users liked this post by OttawaSteve:
josephr25 (05-08-2021), sobiloff (05-08-2021), StormRune (05-09-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:18 AM
GusRandall
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Roller12
Thank you GusRandall. My order will probably be transformed in a 2022... Where did you see that 2022 cars will have it? Your infos could be a good solution if my car is finally à 2021.
Looks like I misremembered - they are definitely offering for 911 and expected to add to other lines but I can't find a clear timetable by model/year. It is possible they will wait until the 718 redesign when they add PCM5 to it. If it wasn't listed on your build sheet/options, then it will not be there (at least not activated - but it can be by a 3rd party).
Old 05-08-2021, 10:56 AM
KrisA
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
My understanding of the original reason for no Android Auto is that Porsche considered the data dumps from Android equipped cars that Google wanted was unreasonable. They were willing to provide data directly related to the performance of the software, but Google wanted all sorts of engine and other data. Since then the issue apparently has been resolved and Android Auto is now available in the 911. I assume that it will likely filter down to other models in usual Porsche fashion.
That was my understanding as well. I remember reading about BMW objecting to what they throught was unreasonabe data harvesting by Google. Why the hell does Google need to know your engine temperature, rpm, etc!?!?!?!?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Roller12
Advanced

Thank you everyone !
Old 05-08-2021, 11:12 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,891 Likes on 2,198 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
How would Google collect engine data without OBD connection?

Think it has more to do with Google’s information collection and open software..
Old 05-08-2021, 12:35 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,285 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Think it has more to do with Google’s information collection and open software..
...along with reports of not being able to fully purge data, and it being recoverable by the next user/owner.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:05 PM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Roller12
I have a bgts.4.0 in command. I dislike absolutely car play and apple for x reasons. Why no Android auto? It is not acceptable in 2021...for a car of more than 100,000 $. With delays for connecting rods and luxury taxes in Canada, i question my reservation. Hey Porsche... more people on this planet bougt Android instead of apple. Wake up!
Android auto can be activated on your PCM,yes.
Old 05-08-2021, 06:27 PM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

My understanding was that the data dumps were to be done by Porsche during development of the interface, not through customer cars.

Quick Reply: WHY no Android auto?