Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Aftermarket bucket seats/harness bar set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 10:18 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Aftermarket bucket seats/harness bar set up

I apologize if this has been answered in another thread, but would like to know possible options for a bucket seat and compatible harness bar set ups folks are using or have used. I currently have 2-way seats which are good, but doesn’t allow harness. I would prefer to keep the option of reclining the seat if possible to keep it usable on a day to day basis.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:46 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 353 Posts

Sparco SPX carbon? https://www.sparcousa.com/product/spx

Recaro Sportster? https://www.recaro-automotive.com/en...o-sportster-cs

Both recline and have shoulder harness passthroughs. Either should work fine with an OE or OE clone bolt in cage with lap and shoulder harnesses. But if you want an anti-submarine belt too, I think you might be limited to aftermarket non-reclineable buckets...
The following 2 users liked this post by 0-Day:
Driv200 (05-11-2021), GT4_trip (04-14-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 09:13 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The only 4 point harness approved by PCA is the Schroth and it is only approved when paired with the OEM carbon fiber bucket. Otherwise, sub-belt is required.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (05-11-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4_trip
I apologize if this has been answered in another thread, but would like to know possible options for a bucket seat and compatible harness bar set ups folks are using or have used. I currently have 2-way seats which are good, but doesn’t allow harness. I would prefer to keep the option of reclining the seat if possible to keep it usable on a day to day basis.
I just installed a new Sparco QRT Performance with a CMS roll/harness bar and Scroth 6 point harness. Seat is surprisingly comfortable but very supportive and has a more factory look than some of the other choices. Love the deviated stitching. The CMS bar fits perfectly with no obstruction of the rear view. I'll take a picture later and post.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:46 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

That’s for the suggestions. I am ok without the sub belt for now so a 4 point harness will do. The sportster GT look the likely solution for my needs. Couple of questions:

1. what happens to the plug underneath the seat after I remove the stock seat? I understand I’ll ha s to get the airbag light coded out. But any other electrical issues or functionalities that could be affected?
2. for the 4 point harness, where do the bottom/hip belts attach? On the club sports they have a precut carpet and hole to attaché the harness. Don’t think the US spec cars have that.

3. finally, any experience with the Bret Krause mounts? Relative pros and cons compared to harness bars like the RSS ones?

Old 04-16-2021, 02:45 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 643 Posts

BBi has seat bases and seats that bolt into the GT4. Includes sub belt mount for 5/6 point. You can defeat the airbag light w/ a 4 ohm resistor, if you care about that, as the airbags are in the seats on the 982.

https://www.bbiautosport.com/718-gt4

Stay away from harness bars. Get a roll bar. Read up on spine compression in rollover accidents with 4/5/6 point harnesses and no rollover protection.

I have the Competition Motorsport (CMS) roll bar. A friend has the BBI bar. The CMS bar is much better IMO.

Last edited by Nickshu; 04-16-2021 at 02:52 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nickshu:
0-Day (04-16-2021), kart125 (05-10-2021), porscheflat6 (05-09-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 04:02 PM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu

Stay away from harness bars. Get a roll bar. Read up on spine compression in rollover accidents with 4/5/6 point harnesses and no rollover protection.
I agree with this.

If you just want something that will hold you in the seat better and is safer to use without a roll bar, consider using just a lap belt harness or something like a CG Lock.

I used to use this (in addition to the regular seatbelt) on my autocross car that had very flat and slippery vinyl seats - https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mlock-seatbelt
It mounts to the same points as the factory seatbelts, using the same bolts. It is basically the Simpson 5-point harness camlock with just the lap belt included. This is nice because if you add a rollbar later on, you just need to purchase the Simpson shoulder harnesses to complete the setup.

I have also an old CG Lock, which works on any regular automotive seatbelt to easily lock tension on the lap part of the belt . But a quick google search suggests that they may not be manufactured anymore... I don't think CG Lock was ever recommended for track use/speeds anyway though...
Old 04-18-2021, 08:38 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
I just installed a new Sparco QRT Performance with a CMS roll/harness bar and Scroth 6 point harness. Seat is surprisingly comfortable but very supportive and has a more factory look than some of the other choices. Love the deviated stitching. The CMS bar fits perfectly with no obstruction of the rear view. I'll take a picture later and post.
Here is a pic.

The following 2 users liked this post by KBS911:
Driv200 (05-11-2021), Translog (05-03-2022)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:49 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

I wanted to see if you had successfully used the resistor - I ask because I always heard the resistor value should be 2.7 ohm and not 4. Hope the answer is 4 and is proven to work!
Old 04-18-2021, 03:09 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
BBi has seat bases and seats that bolt into the GT4. Includes sub belt mount for 5/6 point. You can defeat the airbag light w/ a 4 ohm resistor, if you care about that, as the airbags are in the seats on the 982.

https://www.bbiautosport.com/718-gt4

I have the Competition Motorsport (CMS) roll bar. A friend has the BBI bar. The CMS bar is much better IMO.

You got to be careful...Most of the "roll Bars" out there are not really roll bars since they bolt to the strut towers on the rear and behind the seat
Not sure how good they would be on a really severe roll that will crush the roof. Those attachment points were not designed for that...that's why the Clubsports package in ROW go all the way down and feature a reinforcement.
Then you have the problem of accident on the street without a helmet.....
But guess is better something than nothing.....
Old 05-09-2021, 11:00 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 0-Day
I agree with this.

If you just want something that will hold you in the seat better and is safer to use without a roll bar, consider using just a lap belt harness or something like a CG Lock.

I used to use this (in addition to the regular seatbelt) on my autocross car that had very flat and slippery vinyl seats - https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...mlock-seatbelt
It mounts to the same points as the factory seatbelts, using the same bolts. It is basically the Simpson 5-point harness camlock with just the lap belt included. This is nice because if you add a rollbar later on, you just need to purchase the Simpson shoulder harnesses to complete the setup.

I have also an old CG Lock, which works on any regular automotive seatbelt to easily lock tension on the lap part of the belt . But a quick google search suggests that they may not be manufactured anymore... I don't think CG Lock was ever recommended for track use/speeds anyway though...
after a lot of digging, I could not find a CG lock for sale (new or used). Had almost given up. But then while looking for a similar problem with our baby car seat, found this..

DiONO Super Lock, Nickle, Single
Amazon Amazon

It does the job remarkably well by locking the lap part of the factory seat belt and might be the closest thing to a CG lock you can buy right now. Think this shall do for now until I am ready for a full cage, harness and HANS set up. Wanted to share in case anyone else is getting bruises on the knee but not ready for full harness system yet.

cheers
AT

And it costs so much less than CG lock

Last edited by GT4_trip; 05-09-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

I use BBi and have used there products on all my GT cars. Best roll bar quality and they have a top notch staff.

They sell a couple of great seat options.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:05 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

That’s

3. finally, any experience with the Bret Krause mounts? Relative pros and cons compared to harness bars like the RSS ones?
i installed the BK mounts recently. Relative to other harness bars i found it the least destructive, least intrusive and most easily reversible. Also cheapest especially if just need for one side of car. Description here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...installed.html

I have read for years on the debate about boltin rollbars and whether they really offer meaningful support in an actual rollover etc. And how many companies only market theirs as harness bars for those very concerns. The fact that porsche clubsport rollbar can not just be plugged into a US car also maybe telling something about at least the ‘ideal’ support reenforcements and way to mount at least from a factory perspective.
in the end, no tested right answers but some experienced opinions out there. We all have to make decisions based on judgment and info we have. I have one in my cayman R but dont in my gt4 - yet. But i only use the car for DE’s and coming from motorcycles on track have a pretty good perspective on keeping sane and under 8/10ths efforts for track days. Emphasis on Fun, not “winning”.
good luck.

Last edited by clib; 05-10-2021 at 08:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Driv200 (05-11-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 AM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clib
i installed the BK mounts recently. Relative to other harness bars i found it the least destructive, least intrusive and most easily reversible. Also cheapest especially if just need for one side of car. Description here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...installed.html

I have read for years on the debate about boltin rollbars and whether they really offer meaningful support in an actual rollover etc. And how many companies only market theirs as harness bars for those very concerns. The fact that porsche clubsport rollbar can not just be plugged into a US car also maybe telling something about at least the ‘ideal’ support reenforcements and way to mount at least from a factory perspective.
in the end, no tested right answers but some experienced opinions out there. We all have to make decisions based on judgment and info we have. I have one in my cayman R but dont in my gt4 - yet. But i only use the car for DE’s and coming from motorcycles on track have a pretty good perspective on keeping sane and under 8/10ths efforts for track days. Fun not winning.
good luck.
Thanks for the input. Recently I too apart the back carpet area and was looking at the site where the currently available “roll bars” attach. The site doesn’t seem to be load bearing and is more of a convenience point for attaching these. Wish I had access to the mounting points of the rollcage in club sport or the ROW club sport package equipped GT4s. Think they need to be hard chassis points. To your point, I am not convinced that the currently available solutions for roll cafe in US are meant to be that or work in the same fashion. If anyone has pics for the mounting points from the clubsport equipped cars (Row), would be helpful.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:50 PM
AndyE1976
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

If anyone has pics for the mounting points from the clubsport equipped cars (Row), would be helpful.
Also interested in this and if the US cars have those mounting points. I heard that the 981 didn't in the US.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket bucket seats/harness bar set up