Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021 | 08:14 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Default What is this?

What’s the triangle thing? I don’t feel like leafing through the manual 😉 The car doesn’t have a forward camera (but that sure looks like a camera), adaptive cruise, emergency braking...I don’t think the car has a front parking proximity sensor either, does it?

What is that?

Old 03-30-2021 | 08:16 PM
Jonathan hughes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
What’s the triangle thing? I don’t feel like leafing through the manual 😉 The car doesn’t have a forward camera (but that sure looks like a camera), adaptive cruise, emergency braking...I don’t think the car has a front parking proximity sensor either, does it?

What is that?

Looks like sign recognition camera to me.
Old 03-30-2021 | 08:18 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Do you have the LED headlights, PDLS++ or whatever it was called? I think that's the camera for the automatic high beams. Not included with the lesser headlight packages.
Old 03-30-2021 | 08:19 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Do you have the LED headlights? I think that's the camera for the automatic high beams.

That was going to be my next guess. That must be the thing that detects the high beams of the oncoming cars. You’re probably right.
Old 03-30-2021 | 08:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Looks like a Henway to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
GeoJoe (03-30-2021), SpeedySpidey (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021 | 09:00 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
Not included with the lesser headlight packages.
Lesser... ha! How haughty of you.

That was one of the reasons I didn't go up to PDLS, to keep away from the extra sensors and eyeballs that come along with. Just one more thing like SXM nub or parking sensor warts to make me twitch. Ultimately I decided I just liked the tighter dot matrix on the 'lesser' mid level headlights, and would have even gone down to the base headlight without washer nipples but the terminator inspired housings were a step too far.
The following users liked this post:
theEnd (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021 | 09:49 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Lesser... ha! How haughty of you.

That was one of the reasons I didn't go up to PDLS, to keep away from the extra sensors and eyeballs that come along with. Just one more thing like SXM nub or parking sensor warts to make me twitch. Ultimately I decided I just liked the tighter dot matrix on the 'lesser' mid level headlights, and would have even gone down to the base headlight without washer nipples but the terminator inspired housings were a step too far.
I also went with the mid-level headlights, and for exactly the same reasons. Less is more.
Old 03-31-2021 | 11:38 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
That was going to be my next guess. That must be the thing that detects the high beams of the oncoming cars. You’re probably right.
Yes it is for the PDLS+ system, not only does it detect any headlights (low/high) but taillights as well, then switches your headlights to low beam.
Old 03-31-2021 | 12:30 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Yes it is for the PDLS+ system, not only does it detect any headlights (low/high) but taillights as well, then switches your headlights to low beam.
Yeah, that must be it. But I deactivated the auto high beams the first week I owned the car. Where I live, the roads are mostly quite curvy (horizontally and vertically). When I first drove it, I though, “WTF are these headlights doing?” Upon rounding or cresting a sharp, blind curve, I found that the automatic sensor generally switched the high beams off either too early of too late. And then it would turn them back on either too early or too late. It took me a couple of drives to realize that the car was delivered with the setting on. I deactivated it, and do not miss it. The PDLS lights are otherwise great. They are quite bright and work well turning side to side or raising/lowering to follow the road.
Old 03-31-2021 | 12:38 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan hughes
Looks like sign recognition camera to me.
Actually in some locations IIRC it is, that feature is not active in North America, but they did have the option to read speed signs and display the posted limit. Possibly the EU?
Old 04-01-2021 | 10:49 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Here's the feature directly from the Porsche site. You guys are spot on about lighting.
  • High Beam Assistant - When a camera located inside the rear-view mirror detects the headlights of an oncoming vehicle, the high beams are automatically turned off at a distance of approximately 2,600 feet. If the taillights of a vehicle traveling in front are detected, the high beam is then turned off at a distance of approximately 1,300 feet.

Quick Reply: What is this?