Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2021 Cayman GTS Owner...with a story

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:45 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Fixing the engine issue doesn't bother me a ton because if there is a problem it'll show up within the warranty period .....
Zhao, perhpas that is an oversimplification or you mean something other than what one could take from your message. You aren't suggesting that driving on an engine with suspected loose con-rod bolts, right? And, if a qualified technician removes and replaces con-rods and bolts --- whether it was done 'correctly' or not might not be known for years.

The descriptions we've seen thus far on the connecting rod/bolt issue are not terribly clear, so it's hard to know exactly what the issue is. However, inadequately tightened con-rod bolts (for whatever reason) can lead to fatigue fractures --- which are sudden and catostrophic. The problem with fatigue is that it is directly related to the number of cycles primarly, and the peak stresses during those cycles secondarily. It is very hard to predict with any degree of accuracy how many cycles it will take before failure. Fatigue failures quite often take many many years to manifest themselves. So -- easily outside of the normal warranty period. Hence, the obvious need for extended warranty on repaired engines.

Perhaps you meant that any problems caused by installation of a new engine will likely become obvious quickly.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

I mean exactly what you said in your last sentence. I have faith Porsche will come up with a solution that fixes the problem but I have little faith in technicians being able to execute it properly for every car. It is guaranteed they will mess peoples cars up, not reinstall all the hardware, not torque things right, etc. They're human, it happens, and it's pretty much guaranteed. Porsche dealerships have good techs and bad techs and they don't put their best tech on every job.... so you could get anyone. I wouldn't worry in this case because there is so much warranty left and I think any technician error will show up well before the warranty expires, even if for some reason these cars do not get an extended warranty on the engine.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:36 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao;[url=tel:17330216
17330216[/url]]I mean exactly what you said in your last sentence. I have faith Porsche will come up with a solution that fixes the problem but I have little faith in technicians being able to execute it properly for every car. It is guaranteed they will mess peoples cars up, not reinstall all the hardware, not torque things right, etc. They're human, it happens, and it's pretty much guaranteed. Porsche dealerships have good techs and bad techs and they don't put their best tech on every job.... so you could get anyone. I wouldn't worry in this case because there is so much warranty left and I think any technician error will show up well before the warranty expires, even if for some reason these cars do not get an extended warranty on the engine.
In future years, buyers will look for 2020s and 2022s and avoid 2021s.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by SGPioso
how bad can a clock issue really be?
Translation: I'm not an EE

In all seriousness, wow, what an incredibly frustrating account of what should have been a great experience for you. When they build a Porsche, they essentially start with the wiring harness and assemble everything else around it, so it is indeed a very invasive operation to replace one. I'll bet the issue simply amounts to a bad crimp in a connector at one end of the clock wiring or the other. Should be trivial to find it with an ohmmeter... but then I remember spending a half-hour trying to explain to a mechanic -- actually a better-than-decent mechanic -- how a relay works. (Edit: re-reading your post, I suspect Makers and Zhao are right, and it has nothing to do with the wiring.)

I'd say get them to lend you one of the 4-banger 718s, at least, so the whole driving season isn't lost. If they balk at that request, it would make the decision to initiate lemon-law proceedings an easy one.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 03-29-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:01 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect;[url=tel:17330399
17330399[/url]]Translation: I'm not an EE

In all seriousness, wow, what an incredibly frustrating account of what should have been a great experience for you. When they build a Porsche, they essentially start with the wiring harness and assemble everything else around it, so it is indeed a very invasive operation to replace one. I'll bet the issue simply amounts to a bad crimp in a connector at one end of the clock wiring or the other. Should be trivial to find it with an ohmmeter... but then I remember spending a half-hour trying to explain to a mechanic -- actually a better-than-decent mechanic -- how a relay works. (Edit: re-reading your post, I suspect Makers and Zhao are right, and it has nothing to do with the wiring.)

I'd say get them to lend you one of the 4-banger 718s, at least, so the whole driving season isn't lost. If they balk at that request, it would make the decision to initiate lemon-law proceedings an easy one.
This sounds like a joke, consider the source, but have you sought a second opinion? I wouldn’t let someone pull the wiring harness without one.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Replace the wiring harness? That’d be a big nope. I’d sooner tape a Casio to the dash.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (04-01-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:49 PM
Goodwood
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 69 Posts

Quick Reply: 2021 Cayman GTS Owner...with a story