Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0 vs 992 vs 987v1 - test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Couchsachraga
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 718 GTS 4.0 vs 992 vs 987v1 - test drive

I'm a long time lurker who has enjoyed reading reviews and such and wanted to share a few thoughts from my test drive today, understanding that we are each have unique qualities we look for in a car and these may be helpful for some and completely useless for others.

My summer daily driver for the past 5 years is a 2007 Boxster S (987 v1, 3.4L), manual. When I went looking a few years ago I was serious about a 981 until I drove one - I vastly preferred the hydraulic steering on the older 987s. I've owned various other sports or sporty cars in the past, the two most notable probably being a MR2 Turbo and Audi TT 225... neither of which are as fun as Boxster for sure.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm looking for something both sharper and "softer" (better ride), and was relieved Porsche finally came out with a 6 cylinder NA engine again, I've been researching the 4.0 GTS. I like good feedback from the steering wheel, nice balance in the car, comfort, and handling.

So, the three vehicles driven today:

987 S - great "analog" feel, though not as special as the old air cooled (years ago I had access to a progression of Porsches... a 914, 89 Carrera 4, and then 993 C4S), better riding and driving (my opinion anyway!). You feel every bump, every aspect of the surface you are driving on. Overpowered better handling go kart is one description. Very nimble. Great classic sound. Driving the manual version you feel part of the car, and a very involved, integral one at that. Best driving car I've driven... until today...

2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 - sharper steering, but not as much feedback. In this case it isn't a bad thing - filtering out some extraneous information quiets things down a bit. Best handling and most nimble car I've ever driven. Far better power and sound (as sonorous as the 987 is... the 4.0 is better...). Extremely comfortable, at least on my short test drive, but it had the 18 way Sports Plus seats many seem to rave about. Interior is even better laid out than 987 (everything is at hand where you'd expect it). More digital and less analog, but in all honest Apple Car Play and built in screen for navigation IS a nice feature to have, so I'll accept all the rest. I drove the manual, and actually prefer how the 987 shifts, but that may just be what I'm used to. I liked the short throw of the shifter, but it felt notchy and metallic, and the clutch throw felt a bit long to me. As much as I prefer a manual, I wondered if perhaps a PDK was a better fit for the car...so...

992 Carrera (base model) with PDK. Clearly meant as the "big brother" to the 718, but my wife and I VASTLY preferred the 718 GTS to the 992. It didn't start to really come alive until over 55mph, which is unfortunately what the speed limits are around here for the most part. Certainly felt as if carved from a block of granite (in a good way), but "nimble" is not a word I'd use. After driving it with the PDK I felt that a manual was preferable. In a perfect world I'd find a 718 with PDK to test drive (and I'll be looking for one to do just that) as I suspect the normally aspirated engine may respond very differently than the forced induction of the 992.

In short - already have put in to order a Gentian Blue 718 GTS. I'm hearing it may be late this year or early next year before I may be able to take delivery with all the supply chain disruptions and that Porsche doesn't manufacture a lot of 718's, but I'll hold out hope that perhaps I have it by the autumn to enjoy a good trip or two before winter sets in.

Hopefully this short review will be helpful to someone; in the end I'll repeat what seems to be written here a lot - they are all great cars, what matters is what YOU like ( and are looking for). Find it, buy it, and enjoy it
The following 6 users liked this post by Couchsachraga:
Alpha Ice (03-25-2021), ericb44 (03-25-2021), fjpdds (03-24-2021), JBSea (06-05-2021), slilley (03-25-2021), UncleDude (03-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:07 PM
JHerrel
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I just ordered the 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with PDK after driving one at PEC Atlanta. The PEC 90 min driving experience confirmed that It has the neutral steering response, adjustable suspension, power and sound I love.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHerrel:
Couchsachraga (03-25-2021), josephr25 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:23 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Couchsachraga
I'm a long time lurker who has enjoyed reading reviews and such and wanted to share a few thoughts from my test drive today, understanding that we are each have unique qualities we look for in a car and these may be helpful for some and completely useless for others.

My summer daily driver for the past 5 years is a 2007 Boxster S (987 v1, 3.4L), manual. When I went looking a few years ago I was serious about a 981 until I drove one - I vastly preferred the hydraulic steering on the older 987s. I've owned various other sports or sporty cars in the past, the two most notable probably being a MR2 Turbo and Audi TT 225... neither of which are as fun as Boxster for sure.

Fast forward 5 years and I'm looking for something both sharper and "softer" (better ride), and was relieved Porsche finally came out with a 6 cylinder NA engine again, I've been researching the 4.0 GTS. I like good feedback from the steering wheel, nice balance in the car, comfort, and handling.

So, the three vehicles driven today:

987 S - great "analog" feel, though not as special as the old air cooled (years ago I had access to a progression of Porsches... a 914, 89 Carrera 4, and then 993 C4S), better riding and driving (my opinion anyway!). You feel every bump, every aspect of the surface you are driving on. Overpowered better handling go kart is one description. Very nimble. Great classic sound. Driving the manual version you feel part of the car, and a very involved, integral one at that. Best driving car I've driven... until today...

2021 Cayman GTS 4.0 - sharper steering, but not as much feedback. In this case it isn't a bad thing - filtering out some extraneous information quiets things down a bit. Best handling and most nimble car I've ever driven. Far better power and sound (as sonorous as the 987 is... the 4.0 is better...). Extremely comfortable, at least on my short test drive, but it had the 18 way Sports Plus seats many seem to rave about. Interior is even better laid out than 987 (everything is at hand where you'd expect it). More digital and less analog, but in all honest Apple Car Play and built in screen for navigation IS a nice feature to have, so I'll accept all the rest. I drove the manual, and actually prefer how the 987 shifts, but that may just be what I'm used to. I liked the short throw of the shifter, but it felt notchy and metallic, and the clutch throw felt a bit long to me. As much as I prefer a manual, I wondered if perhaps a PDK was a better fit for the car...so...

992 Carrera (base model) with PDK. Clearly meant as the "big brother" to the 718, but my wife and I VASTLY preferred the 718 GTS to the 992. It didn't start to really come alive until over 55mph, which is unfortunately what the speed limits are around here for the most part. Certainly felt as if carved from a block of granite (in a good way), but "nimble" is not a word I'd use. After driving it with the PDK I felt that a manual was preferable. In a perfect world I'd find a 718 with PDK to test drive (and I'll be looking for one to do just that) as I suspect the normally aspirated engine may respond very differently than the forced induction of the 992.

In short - already have put in to order a Gentian Blue 718 GTS. I'm hearing it may be late this year or early next year before I may be able to take delivery with all the supply chain disruptions and that Porsche doesn't manufacture a lot of 718's, but I'll hold out hope that perhaps I have it by the autumn to enjoy a good trip or two before winter sets in.

Hopefully this short review will be helpful to someone; in the end I'll repeat what seems to be written here a lot - they are all great cars, what matters is what YOU like ( and are looking for). Find it, buy it, and enjoy it
Great to hear your experience with the cars Couchsachraga. I currently have a 987.1 Cayman S, and I love it for all the statements that you said. I have the SSK (short shift kit) and love the feeling, I also have several mods and the RS370 kit and love how nimble and responsive the engine is which is great. I also drove a 992S PDK and it was pretty crazy, it took little time for the turbos to kick in, and in turn, it also took no time to go from 40-80 on on ramps or passing people in traffic. It's definitely a different feel and it as some others stated, it takes a lot more work to get the advantages out of the 992 in the handling and performance...it just operates at such a high level, but I felt that it had a bit of drama too. I'm currently first in line for an allocation on an also Gentian Blue GTS 718, but I will go with the manual and do a ssk on that as well, or do a numeric kit for it. I haven't been able to drive any of the newer 718s, but I did note the improvements the 718 base had many years ago and how much better it handled and cornered, but it was a bit more mute in the steering and engine department.
The following users liked this post:
Couchsachraga (03-25-2021)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0 vs 992 vs 987v1 - test drive