Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Why did you pick the GTS over the GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021 | 09:31 AM
baege
Racer

Default Why did you pick the GTS over the GT4?

I have placed a deposit on the GTS, but as you can tell from the other thread I recently started, I sometimes waiver and consider switching to a GT4.

I will not track the car, so really FOR ME, the only thing the GT4 has over the GTS is a much meaner look and a more connected driving experience.

I wish you could opt for the GT4 wheels and tires on the GTS and I think this would go a long way in reducing the asthetic difference.

But in the end, I keep coming back to while every drive in the GT4 might be a little more exhilarating, it will also be more of a chore and hassle with a rougher ride, less clearance and reduced visibility. So overall I think I would enjoy the GTS more.

Anyhow why did you choose the GTS?
Old 03-24-2021 | 09:42 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Same boat as you: not tracking the car. I love the GT4 but to drive it on public roads/daily drive it could potentially be, as you stated, more of a hassle. I could use a GT4 everyday living in S. Florida but I would not consider that option living in a place that has subpar roads, extreme traffic, winter.
GTS provides more comfort and plenty of power for a great experience around town.
Old 03-24-2021 | 09:54 AM
DIS295
Instructor

Same as above...never will track the car, will drive briskly, but never as I would on a track, and I can't abide a wing on a street only car. Plus wanted a convertible and the hassles with the top on the GT would drive me nuts.
Old 03-24-2021 | 09:54 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

For me the reasons were:
  • More compliant suspension
  • More interior options, especially the ability to delete all RaceTex/Alcantara/ultrasuede
  • Real door handles
  • The GT4 wing looks useful on the track; silly on the street
  • The same engine - power reduced slightly, torque the same
  • Multiple drive modes
  • Twenty grand cheaper
The GTS also has more exterior colours available, although that didn't matter to me as I am a Guard's Red aficionado.

For me it was a no-brainer, YRMV.
The following 6 users liked this post by OttawaSteve:
Alpha Ice (03-24-2021), baege (03-24-2021), ericb44 (03-25-2021), Goodwood (03-24-2021), jefflj (03-24-2021), Russv (03-24-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2021 | 10:19 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Most everyone has stated my answer, we love doing long distance driving in our cars, so the GTS being a bit taller (SPASM), more compliant in everyday scenarios and living in MN where we still see lots of road construction and some poor quality "C Roads" on important roads that I traverse were also part of the aspect. I also wanted the memory seating, as I have 18 ways now in my 987 and my Panamera, so I've gotten spoiled in that sense, and the PE&D is a great feature that the GT4 doesn't have. The cleaner look of the GTS is nice, while I'd want some aero aspects and maybe a bit bigger spoiler, I don't really want the wing for day to day driving. The other extra configuration options and features were nice to me that were limited or not available. I've sat in the LWSB, and unless you're sitting in them for a long time, a quick run to the store, or driving across town for the little gallon of milk to enjoy the drive gets to become a bit more of a chore (I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 180ish)...but the Sports Plus seats to me are the best for comfort and still holding you in. I also don't see me tracking a ton, maybe a couple times a year.
The following users liked this post:
ericb44 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 10:30 AM
2PUTT
Rennlist Member

i debated between the 718 GTS and GT4. after building enough of both in the configurator, the difference was marginal enough to choose the GT4 over the GTS. IIRC, my builds were usually $7k-$10k apart. i guess the major difference is that the GT4 will not serve as my daily driver. i have a dedicated DD which made the choice even easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2PUTT:
ericb44 (03-25-2021), jake18 (04-22-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 10:49 AM
SK991.2
Rennlist Member

GTS will still be fun to track.. for somebody only going 2-4 times per year..I'll keep Michellin Pilot 4S for daily
and track duties..
way more comfy options.. especially heated MF steering wheel/heated ventilated seats/real interior door handles..
leather interior preferred..
I like the wheel choices better...
will miss the front lip and wing of the GT4...
All ready have a 991.1 GT3
The following 2 users liked this post by SK991.2:
Alpha Ice (03-24-2021), ericb44 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 12:17 PM
REDCOMET
Instructor

My 2.5 GTS was totaled last year and when I place a replacement order, my wife & I debate a lot between GTS 4.0 or GT4. We don't track this car(I have a typeR for track) and also it won't be our daily as well (we have 2 Audi & 2 Honda for daily). I love the look of GT4 but since my wife & I will both drive it so no memory seat on GT4 is a big minus for us. So end up the dealer help us to make the decision very easy! Allocation for GT4 waiting list will be 2 yr so we place an order of GTS instead. However few weeks ago, my dealer call me and asked me if I want to switch my GTS allocation to a GT4 since someone switch his GT4 allocation to GT3. I just sent him an updated build sheet without discuss with my wife

The signature smiley face, the front bumper, the wheels, the bigger brake, the GT suspension, shorter shift throw and the rear wing absolutely worth more than the 15k extra over my GTS build. I know I will lost the memory seat, comfort access and steering wheel control button and a harsher ride but only my wife care about those features :P
The following 3 users liked this post by REDCOMET:
Dr.Bill (03-24-2021), halfmonkey (03-26-2021), jake18 (04-22-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 12:24 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Mine is my daily driver. I was using a 981 Spyder before this. It ticked all the boxes for what I wanted in a daily with more power than a Cayman S. One of the main reasons was it was available at a dealer with the spec I wanted.
Old 03-24-2021 | 01:11 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

The GT4 isn't that bad daily driving. The only time the clearance (so far) has been an issue is entering and exiting my parking garage, where I am slower than a baby crawling... and it still scrapes. But I haven't seen any cosmetic damage on the top. And the wing doesn't really distract rear viewing.

I guess I am used to the relatively stiff suspension... I used to drive everywhere in my Camaro SS 1LE in track mode which added reduced throttle and steering response.

I think you should consider the GT4 if price isn't an issue.

PS if I end up with new wheels I'll sell my old ones haha
jake18 (04-22-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 01:12 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
For me the reasons were:
  • More compliant suspension
  • More interior options, especially the ability to delete all RaceTex/Alcantara/ultrasuede
  • Real door handles
  • The GT4 wing looks useful on the track; silly on the street
  • The same engine - power reduced slightly, torque the same
  • Multiple drive modes
  • Twenty grand cheaper
The GTS also has more exterior colours available, although that didn't matter to me as I am a Guard's Red aficionado.

For me it was a no-brainer, YRMV.
DITTO
Old 03-24-2021 | 01:42 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by josephr25
The GT4 isn't that bad daily driving. The only time the clearance (so far) has been an issue is entering and exiting my parking garage, where I am slower than a baby crawling... and it still scrapes. But I haven't seen any cosmetic damage on the top. And the wing doesn't really distract rear viewing.

I guess I am used to the relatively stiff suspension... I used to drive everywhere in my Camaro SS 1LE in track mode which added reduced throttle and steering response.

I think you should consider the GT4 if price isn't an issue.

PS if I end up with new wheels I'll sell my old ones haha
would the GT4 wheels fit on a gts?
Old 03-24-2021 | 01:44 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by baege
would the GT4 wheels fit on a gts?
I wouldn't know personally but I don't see a huge problem.

There are a couple of sets in the classifieds already if you already bought a GTS though
baege (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 03:49 PM
drjsilver
Intermediate

I originally was the no. 2 guy on the list for the GT4 allocation at my dealer. I was planning on trading in my 8K mile 2016 GT4 on the new one. Well, the 2014 BS6M I had as my DD was getting to over 80K miles and I did not want to spend a lot on a clutch, etc. So, after hearing about the 2020 GT4 and questions about the sound with the particulate filter, I decided to keep my GT4 with it's 385 Hp and nice sound and Sapphire Blue Metallic delicious color. I switched my allocation to the Boxster GTS 4.0 6M that I love. Fast as my GT4 but sounds better, particularly with the top down. Not really a solution to most of the folk here, but if you asked me, I think the best answer is to own both. GTS 4.0 as a DD and GT4 for car events and track days. If one's in the shop, I still have mid-engined Porsche to drive. Not half bad.
Old 03-24-2021 | 03:56 PM
GeaTeaTrea
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by baege
I have placed a deposit on the GTS, but as you can tell from the other thread I recently started, I sometimes waiver and consider switching to a GT4.

I will not track the car, so really FOR ME, the only thing the GT4 has over the GTS is a much meaner look and a more connected driving experience.

I wish you could opt for the GT4 wheels and tires on the GTS and I think this would go a long way in reducing the asthetic difference.

But in the end, I keep coming back to while every drive in the GT4 might be a little more exhilarating, it will also be more of a chore and hassle with a rougher ride, less clearance and reduced visibility. So overall I think I would enjoy the GTS more.

Anyhow why did you choose the GTS?
I bought the GT4 because of the specialness, and the additional performance plus looks. That being said, it’s not an uncomfortable car at all. I can daily it with ease, and do so. Unfortunately my GT4 has had an engine recall, however. I am not able to drive my car until further notice.
jake18 (04-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Why did you pick the GTS over the GT4?