Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Continued Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 12:21 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I want to express sympathy for the OP and the problems he's enduring.

He is quite appropriately upset with the lack of help he's getting from Porsche dealers and corporate and is turning to our community for advice.

Some of the advice is spot-on; others are snarky or worse.

Let's try to help him, ok?
Funny how things can change so fast: https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...pressions.html
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:50 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I want to express sympathy for the OP and the problems he's enduring.

He is quite appropriately upset with the lack of help he's getting from Porsche dealers and corporate and is turning to our community for advice.

Some of the advice is spot-on; others are snarky or worse.

Let's try to help him, ok?
He didn’t come for advice. He came to vent. And people asked some questions and he freaked out. Dude obviously has some anger issues.
dnimi123 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 01:58 AM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,804 Likes on 865 Posts

Sorry to hear of your problems. Not sure which state you live in but I believe in CA, you must have given the dealer at least 3 documented chances to fix the same problems before you can invoke the lemon law. If you believe the car is just simply a bad apple where something gets fixed and then another thing breaks and that gets fixed and then something else breaks and so on and so on, you can always pursue a good will from Porsche to maybe replace your car with a like car. I know BMW was doing this practically upon request for their 7 series 3 generations back (the one that was called the bangle butt) because they're so bad. This is my first Porsche so I don't know how Porsche is with their customer service and such but you can always give it a try. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:55 AM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
He didn’t come for advice. He came to vent. And people asked some questions and he freaked out. Dude obviously has some anger issues.
Which might explain why his dealer isn’t being his advocate with PCNA.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:58 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjw930
Which might explain why his dealer isn’t being his advocate with PCNA.
Probably so, which is not the way to get some satisfaction. I had a problem with a 2008 Boxster S I ordered/bought new from Brumos (thanks Hurley) and after several months of back and forth, lots of documentation, and civil communications with the dealer and PCNA I was compensated nicely.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:55 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

A few years back my wife's BMW sat in the shop for over 30 days waiting on parts to come from Germany. In our state 30 days in the shop allows you to invoke the Lemon Law. She got tired of driving the loaner X3 and said she wanted her car back or to get rid of it. I told the dealership that we intended to use the Lemon Law and they put me in touch with BMW NA and they immediately agreed to buy the car back at full MSRP, give us the wheel and tire warranty and install paint protection on the new car at their expense. Since the car was a special order Alpina they could not replace it so they sent us a list of similar 7 Series BMWs to choose from. I was very impressed with their service throughout the whole process.

If Porsche does not act in a similar way I would not buy another one. But I do think the higher end car manufacturers do not like to have their cars declared lemons so they will probably give you buyer's assistance. They cannot CPO lemon cars and they cannot sell the extended warranty on them either. They are better off buying you out of the car than trying to sell a lemon car on their lot or sending it to auction.

DFW01TT (03-22-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:10 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

Waiting for Porsche to reach out and ask, "how's it going" is a little like locking yourself in a closet and praying for a hot dog. You'll probably have a long wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
dnimi123 (03-21-2021), Zhao (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:54 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by blackland
A few years back my wife's BMW sat in the shop for over 30 days waiting on parts to come from Germany. In our state 30 days in the shop allows you to invoke the Lemon Law. She got tired of driving the loaner X3 and said she wanted her car back or to get rid of it. I told the dealership that we intended to use the Lemon Law and they put me in touch with BMW NA and they immediately agreed to buy the car back at full MSRP, give us the wheel and tire warranty and install paint protection on the new car at their expense. Since the car was a special order Alpina they could not replace it so they sent us a list of similar 7 Series BMWs to choose from. I was very impressed with their service throughout the whole process.

If Porsche does not act in a similar way I would not buy another one. But I do think the higher end car manufacturers do not like to have their cars declared lemons so they will probably give you buyer's assistance. They cannot CPO lemon cars and they cannot sell the extended warranty on them either. They are better off buying you out of the car than trying to sell a lemon car on their lot or sending it to auction.
Nick Murray has a bunch of videos about his 991.2 lemon and the buyback without using the lemon law. He doesn't specify price details but he does say it wasn't MSRP and it sounds like it was a long way away from MSRP. I think your treatment from BMW is top notch (I'm guessing your alpina was <1 year old, very low km?, tastefully trimmed), but I wouldn't expect the same from Porsche.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Porsche will not allow one to disclose any details regarding compensation involving a buyback or settlement, which I know firsthand since I had to sign non-disclosure documentation, and I am positive he did as well.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:07 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Nick Murray has a bunch of videos about his 991.2 lemon and the buyback without using the lemon law. He doesn't specify price details but he does say it wasn't MSRP and it sounds like it was a long way away from MSRP. I think your treatment from BMW is top notch (I'm guessing your alpina was <1 year old, very low km?, tastefully trimmed), but I wouldn't expect the same from Porsche.
It was an expensive car, low miles and less that two years old. It all started with a leaking sunroof and some parts they could not source to repair it. It helped that we had purchased about 6 cars from this dealer and they know we will buy more if we are happy. We used the threat of the Lemon law, not the actual Lemon Law to get it done. If a dealer does not care about your future business then you really have no choice but to use the lemon law. You don't really need to retain an attorney to make it happen, it is relatively easy to do yourself if you meet your state's requirements and the issues are well documented.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:49 PM
Calsoldier
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aventure
Christ, what is it with this place? For every decent, reasonable forum member (like the one in this thread that made a useful recommendation that just results in Porsche NA starting a buyback process for my car), there is an asstard like you that can't read. During my 3 months of ownership, the car has spent three weeks at the dealer. It randomly stumbles and stalls, as in the middle of live traffic. Still too passive for you?

My God, if hearing factual information about real problems with these cars hurts your fanboy ego, just skip the damn message.

Signing off. I got the VERY useful advice (thanks to fantom) that solved my problem and looks to end this nightmare of an ownership experience. A sincere good luck to those who own better examples.
I fully agree with you, members like this make me not want to engage on this platform.
josephr25 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:00 PM
Alan_S
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Calsoldier
I fully agree with you, members like this make me not want to engage on this platform.
If you think here is bad, you should see what happens on facebook groups, reddit and other social media.
josephr25 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 02:07 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan_S
If you think here is bad, you should see what happens on facebook groups, reddit and other social media.
This is like a turn of the 19th century English gentleman’s club compared to places like Corvette Forum...lol.

It’s a public space...expect a barb or two occasionally.
The following 5 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
dnimi123 (03-21-2021), FASTRKMAN (03-21-2021), josephr25 (03-21-2021), minn19 (03-21-2021), The Pinkoboe (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 03:57 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,827 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by Calsoldier
Yes, we definitely need more people like the unhinged guy who freaked out from a normal question from Archimedes and then went full foaming at the mouth name calling with a slight prodding from myself.

The only reason I poked the bear was because his douchebag comment to someone trying to help (seriously, how does trashing a guy trying to help benefit the forum?)was deserving of some blow back, and to see if he was a lunatic or not.

Last edited by Zhao; 03-21-2021 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
dnimi123 (03-21-2021), Larry Cable (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:00 PM
Spike Spiegel
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Porsche will not allow one to disclose any details regarding compensation involving a buyback or settlement, which I know firsthand since I had to sign non-disclosure documentation, and I am positive he did as well.
As a person who is not a lawyer, why should you have to sign an NDA in this situation? As the previous owner of the now old car, you're still free to talk about all the problems you had experienced up until the company agreed to take it back from you at X price, I imagine.

Quick Reply: Continued Problems