Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Rear Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 11:38 PM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Spyder Rear Trunk

So can the Spyder rear trunk be opened with the cars top closed? It appears the trunk release button in the car and on the key fob is disabled when the top is closed.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn’t find a related topic.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:54 PM
jcaldwell

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had mine for long but it seems you have to detach the little side wings to get the trunk lid up. I suppose you could just cycle the top as if you were putting it down and detach the little wings when using it for storage. That's the only way I could think of using it.

Last edited by jcaldwell; 03-16-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:14 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

No, with the top up the key fob and interior trunk latch are disabled.

You need to command the top down and stow the wings to open the boot.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
DFW01TT (03-23-2022), Larry Cable (03-23-2022)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:26 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,733 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKFLAT6
So can the Spyder rear trunk be opened with the cars top closed? It appears the trunk release button in the car and on the key fob is disabled when the top is closed.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn’t find a related topic.
Just to muddy the waters, yes you can open the trunk with the top closed, you just can't do this with the flying buttresses latched in place.

Considering n4v4nod's post below, I should clarify, I am talking about opening it completely, If I am out with the top down and stop to go shopping, I put the roof up and latch it at the windshield but I leave the flaps inserted in the roof, if I need to put stuff into the trunk it is available. Depending on the mood/weather I can then make the decision to stow the top or to finish the roof closing process.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-17-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:37 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,697 Likes on 934 Posts

If you need quick access you can do this:
The following 2 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
daaa nope (03-17-2021), TYPE911 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 09:50 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Just don’t forget you need to re-latch the front when you do that. I’ve had a couple times in the few weeks I’ve owned mine where I wasn’t comfortable leaving the car open so I just latched the front and left the wings hooked to the roof. Worked out great, I was able to use the trunk when I got back then tuck the the roof away and drive off. On a road trip the stuff in the back will be whats unload at the destination. Anything we need in transit goes in the front, if traveling with the roof down, which honestly is how it will be on the interstates. Top down once we’re on the back roads.
The following 3 users liked this post by mjw930:
Larry Cable (03-23-2022), n4v4nod (03-17-2021), Westcoast (03-18-2021)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:19 AM
Tom78737
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not Exactly

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Just to muddy the waters, yes you can open the trunk with the top closed, you just can't do this with the flying buttresses latched in place.

Considering n4v4nod's post below, I should clarify, I am talking about opening it completely, If I am out with the top down and stop to go shopping, I put the roof up and latch it at the windshield but I leave the flaps inserted in the roof, if I need to put stuff into the trunk it is available. Depending on the mood/weather I can then make the decision to stow the top or to finish the roof closing process.
As was stated elsewhere, the key fob and door sill buttons are disabled unless the roof is detached at the windshield header. Once that occurs, you can partially lift the rear deck - but be careful you don’t put undo pressure on the connected side panels. I do that to get to the bag chairs or a jacket I keep in the trunk.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:58 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Okay, there seems to be disagreement. Which “locking” feature disables the fob and the interior trunk release? The wings being in place, the roof latch being in place, or both? I thought Westcoast had clarified it, but then Tom appears to say the opposite.

I get the wings are in the way (mechanically) for opening the trunk very far, but I assume you have to use the fob or the interior trunk release to get access at all.

Last edited by Adrift; 03-23-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:26 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Okay, there seems to be disagreement. Which “locking” feature disables the fob and the interior trunk release? The wings being in place, the roof latch being in place, or both? I thought Westcoast had clarified it, but then Tom appears to say the opposite.

I get the wings are in the way (mechanically) for opening the trunk very far, but I assume you have to use the fob or the interior trunk release to get access at all.
this
Old 03-23-2022, 11:41 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom78737
As was stated elsewhere, the key fob and door sill buttons are disabled unless the roof is detached at the windshield header. Once that occurs, you can partially lift the rear deck - but be careful you don’t put undo pressure on the connected side panels. I do that to get to the bag chairs or a jacket I keep in the trunk.
Latched, closed, in-place or is it un-latched, detached, open, released or stowed... so many ways to say these things!

However as has been said before the latch mechanism at the windshield must be in the open, released or unlatched position for either the key fob or door sill switch to release/open/unlatch the trunk. The location of the flying buttresses, sails, flaps or wings or more specifically the latching pins at their ends does not have an effect on the ability to release the trunk. Of course if they are latch/inserted into the trunk lid you can only open that lid a short distance before they would start to inhibit opening.

Last edited by Westcoast; 03-23-2022 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 12:21 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Got it!

To unlatch the trunk at all the windshield latch has to be released (enables fob and interior release switch). Then, to open it more than a few inches (?), you need to unlatch the wings, because in the attached position they block the trunk from opening very far.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Got it!

To unlatch the trunk at all the windshield latch has to be released (enables fob and interior release switch). Then, to open it more than a few inches (?), you need to unlatch the wings, because in the attached position they block the trunk from opening very far.
They are called “fins”.

You can lift the trunk a moderate amount with the fins attached and people do. However the OM warns that doing so can damage the top. The fin anchors are plastic so proceed with caution.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:54 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Got it!

The video in post #5 above shows 'about' how much you could expect to open the trunk lid, I just find that it can spring up once it gets to a certain point so I would recommend holding on to it during this maneuver to prevent going too far. Personally, I just remove them from the trunk lid before opening it.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
They are called “fins”.

You can lift the trunk a moderate amount with the fins attached and people do. However the OM warns that doing so can damage the top. The fin anchors are plastic so proceed with caution.
missed that name...
Old 03-23-2022, 05:40 PM
Tom78737
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spyder Rear Trunk

Hi All,
I just double checked and found that the top wings (latched or not) have nothing to do with disabling the key fob or door sill buttons. The only thing that prevents their use is when the roof is “connected” to the windshield header (the car obviously knows that the roof has been latched. If it is properly latched, the buttons won’t do anything. Of course, you must unlatch the top (near the windshield) in order to easily release the top wings from the car body.
Larry Cable (03-24-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 06:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom78737
Hi All,
I just double checked and found that the top wings (latched or not) have nothing to do with disabling the key fob or door sill buttons. The only thing that prevents their use is when the roof is “connected” to the windshield header (the car obviously knows that the roof has been latched. If it is properly latched, the buttons won’t do anything. Of course, you must unlatch the top (near the windshield) in order to easily release the top wings from the car body.
Hey Tom thanks for verifying what I have been saying (and said again in post #10 above)...
Larry Cable (03-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Spyder Rear Trunk