Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

BK R-1046 shoulder mount installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022 | 05:19 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
Bumping an old thread 'cuz after waiting a year my 2022 Boxster GTS with LWBS is set to arrive next month, and I plan on having Speed Sport Tuning install a Schroth Harness attached to a BK mount.

I'm sure it must be obvious as no one posted pictures, but how are the side belts and crotch belt attached to the car? Does one need to buy other parts?

Thanks in advance to any that can help.
I found the instructions to be lacking as far as the lap belt install goes. I used the OEM fasteners and one of the included washers on each receptacle side bolt. Both the OEM seat belt and the harnesses pivot freely.
Old 04-21-2023 | 06:59 PM
RocketGuy3
Racer

Bumping this thread as I'm looking into these BK mounts myself (though on a 981 GT4), and without a rollbar/half cage.

Originally Posted by Tom Loder
Thanks for bumping this up to the top. I just took delivery of my GT4 and am also looking at safety solutions.

I like the simplicity of these, but I have a couple concerns with this design, and most of the available bar designs.

I know BK says their product passes crash test criteria, but what about the aluminum chassis bar they attach to? Is that designed for longitudinal stress of a crash?

The conventional wisdom is you don’t want to be in a harness without an actual roll bar that would prevent the roof from collapsing in a rollover event. The harness prevents you from sliding down in the seat to avoid impact.

BBi offers a four point “harness bar” that doesn’t provide rollover protection. Other manufacturers sell 4pt “roll bars” that look very similar to BBi which makes me wonder if they offer any actual protection.

I guess if you are just looking to hold you in the seat, these brackets are good but you are potentially less safe unless you pair with a real roll bar.
I've been seeing a lot of conflicting info on this, and Porsche techs I've talked to here in the Dallas area seem to also suggest you are fine in all but the most catastrophic accidents involving roof failures. Modern cars have very sturdy roof pillars, specifically crash tested for rollover events. And there are also other safety tradeoffs to consider with a rollbar if you are still driving the car on the street.

Also, the Scroth 4-pt harnesses have ASM tech that I think have tearaways for impacts that would probably allow your body to collapse forward in many accidents (although maybe not if there was not any meaningful forward impact).

Does you guys really think the BK mounts are such a bad idea for a half street/half track car?

Quick Reply: BK R-1046 shoulder mount installed