Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 - amazing suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021 | 11:01 PM
2seats
Racer

Default GT4 - amazing suspension

When I first got my GT4 I felt like it wasn’t a good daily. The suspension seemed pretty brutal on uneven, bumpy, potholed roads.

after 1,000 miles, this is a different car. I think this car has one of the best tuned suspensions I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot of cars. It is still really stiff but totally enjoyable as a daily driver on bad roads. So if you’ve just got your GT4 and you think that it’s going to be that stiff forever, it’ll probably loosen up like mine and be just perfect. If you’ve avoided the car because you think it’s so stiff that it can only be driven on a track, that is totally not true.

what I really love about the car is when I’m driving it really fast on the roads that have bumps and dips that could actually make the car go airborne for a second or two when the car smacks down on the ground there is absolutely no secondary motions. The suspension has very little travel but some how absorbs that force and just maintains so much contact with the pavement. I’ve driven plenty of other “sports cars” that would be bouncing all
over the place and losing contact with the ground.

This is probably one the funniest cars to drive fast. I still don’t use it as a daily. I drive my Aston Martin in the rain mostly but the GT4 is a better drive and I even prefer the GT4 suspension by far.

Last edited by 2seats; 03-03-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 02:29 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2seats
When I first got my GT4 I felt like it wasn’t a good daily. The suspension seemed pretty brutal on uneven, bumpy, potholed roads.

after 1,000 miles, this is a different car. I think this car has one of the best tuned suspensions I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot of cars. It is still really stiff but totally enjoyable as a daily driver on bad roads. So if you’ve just got your GT4 and you think that it’s going to be that stiff forever, it’ll probably loosen up like mine and be just perfect. If you’ve avoided the car because you think it’s so stiff that it can only be driven on a track, that is totally not true.

what I really love about the car is when I’m driving it really fast on the roads that have bumps and dips that could actually make the car go airborne for a second or two when the car smacks down on the ground there is absolutely no secondary motions. The suspension has very little travel but some how absorbs that force and just maintains so much contact with the pavement. I’ve driven plenty of other “sports cars” that would be bouncing all
over the place and losing contact with the ground.

This is probably one the funniest cars to drive fast. I still don’t use it as a daily. I drive my Aston Martin in the rain mostly but the GT4 is a better drive and I even prefer the GT4 suspension by far.
and its better if you get the DCS controller, TPC toe links and an pro alignment as out of the box the settings are crap.
Old 03-04-2021 | 05:46 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
and its better if you get the DCS controller, TPC toe links and an pro alignment as out of the box the settings are crap.
^this. By the way this was my alignment from the factory

Old 03-04-2021 | 08:31 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2seats

after 1,000 miles, this is a different car. I think this car has one of the best tuned suspensions I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a lot of cars.
I took mine out for the first time yesterday. The car had only delivery miles on it, and I put 10 on it yesterday. The suspension was shockingly stiff . . . It’s well tuned and balanced, wheel and body control is great, but every single impact hits *really* hard. Like, they aren’t big and crashy, but even the small impacts that I don’t even notice in my M3 are really abrupt and jarring to the point where it literally rattles my brain just a little bit on every expansion joint.

Are you saying this behavior goes away eventually? Because if not this will definitely not be a forever car for me.

The dampers on these cars typically have a ton of friction, I’m hoping that’s the main issue and that they wear-in and soften up a bit with some miles.
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:45 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

I suspect this is just user adaptation, rather than the car suddenly getting softer. Rubber bushings can wear in a bit, that's about it (if you've ever installed firm engine mounts in your track car, you know what I mean). The same acclimation process would happen to me after not driving my Lotus for a while. After an hour or so, I'm (relatively) comfy again. That car had track coilovers with double the spring rate of the GT4 in a much lighter car.

I think there is a certain comfort in having the car ride in conjunction with the road instead of bouncing out of wack with it. The GT4 suspension has a decent amount of travel, it just doesn't feel like that if you are used to cars with grand touring biased suspension (e.g. non-sport 911, M3, AMGs, etc.). The car is actually fairly softly sprung if you use it mostly on the track. How many track-oriented cars can you use on a 500-mile road trip if desired...not many.

Anyway, I agree that Porsche did a good job of tuning for a variety of circumstances. A very good compromise. These newer generation GT cars (991, 981, 718) are incredibly comfortable compared to even the 997 generation.

Originally Posted by Racer20
Are you saying this behavior goes away eventually? Because if not this will definitely not be a forever car for me.
Give it a chance. Can't make a conclusion after 10 miles. Also again, you bought a Porsche GT car, which is supposed to handle track work.

Last edited by vantage; 03-04-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I took mine out for the first time yesterday. The car had only delivery miles on it, and I put 10 on it yesterday. The suspension was shockingly stiff . . . It’s well tuned and balanced, wheel and body control is great, but every single impact hits *really* hard. Like, they aren’t big and crashy, but even the small impacts that I don’t even notice in my M3 are really abrupt and jarring to the point where it literally rattles my brain just a little bit on every expansion joint.

The dampers on these cars typically have a ton of friction, I’m hoping that’s the main issue and that they wear-in and soften up a bit with some miles.
you need a DSCSport PASM controller!
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

It is a stiffly sprung car. Not as stiff as a the DSSV's on a ZL1 1LE, but it is a GT car that does NOT have Mag. ride. The only suspension system out there that can do both ends of the spectrum correctly is MRC, used by Audi/Lamborghini, Ferrari, GM, & Ford.

BMW has soft, underdamped shocks that have poor rebound control. The GT4 has proper GT suspension, and while PASM is an adaptive system, it can't react as fast as the MRC systems, so to get that GT level of damping (especially on a strut based platform) Porsche has to tune it stiffly.

a GT Porsche will NEVER be posh, it is not meant to be. I hear the GT3 & GT3 RS are even stiffer than the GT4.

I will take the GT4 damping over anything BMW does in a heartbeat. BMW's (all of them) are a mess in the shock damping department.

Last edited by TRZ06; 03-04-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:54 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
It is a stiffly sprung car. Not as stiff as a the DSSV's on a ZL1 1LE, but it is a GT car that does NOT have Mag. ride. The only suspension system out there that can do both ends of the spectrum correctly is MRC, used by Audi/Lamborghini, Ferrari, GM, & Ford.

BMW has soft, underdamped shocks that have poor rebound control. The GT4 has proper GT suspension, and while PASM is an adaptive system, it can't react as fast as the MRC systems, so to get that GT level of damping (especially on a strut based platform) Porsche has to tune it stiffly.

a GT Porsche will NEVER be posh, it is not meant to be. I hear the GT3 & GT3 RS are even stiffer than the GT4.
If you consider 260lbs front and 425lbs rear "stiff", then yes.
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I will take the GT4 damping over anything BMW does in a heartbeat. BMW's (all of them) are a mess in the shock damping department.
that's not what my A$$-o-meter tells me
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:57 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
If you consider 260lbs front and 425lbs rear "stiff", then yes.

That is all obviously subjectively to what you are used to and the weight of the chassis (as far as specific spring rates)
Old 03-04-2021 | 08:58 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

​​​​​​

I say give it some time...at least 500 miles. I felt the same as you, and went from wanting to sell it right away, to buying stiffer springs because it felt too soft over undulating pavement...like a "Town Car GT RS". This after DSC controller.
Old 03-04-2021 | 09:00 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that's not what my A$$-o-meter tells me

Okay, maybe about equal to the GT3, but not as stiff as the GT3 RS, but they again, different platforms and engine placements. Not quite like for like.

In either case, they are all GT cars and suspension tuning will follow suit for their intended missions
Old 03-04-2021 | 09:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Okay, maybe about equal to the GT3, but not as stiff as the GT3 RS, but they again, different platforms and engine placements. Not quite like for like.

In either case, they are all GT cars and suspension tuning will follow suit for their intended missions
yeah its hard to do an apples/apple comparison between a rear engined, multi-link and a mid-engined MacP ... now that I have got it aligned, some toe links and the latest DSC map - things seem to be better!
Old 03-04-2021 | 09:19 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

That is all obviously subjectively to what you are used to and the weight of the chassis (as far as specific spring rates)
Yes...that is what I said. However when compared to streetable aftermarket solutions, which run upward of 700lbs, or my Volkswagen, then no, not very stiff.

Last edited by colnagoG60; 03-04-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: GT4 - amazing suspension