Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

ECU tune to bring back pops and bangs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021 | 01:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Not sure of what you mean here, if the valves were held open all the time that would present the maximum noise...

It also depends on the rear section (muffler), I have the Akra link-pipes and the JCR Valved Silenced Race Exhaust and the cracks and pops are just about perfect.

I always thought that the programmed overrun noise in the 981 were obvious and over-done.
This was also the case in the 991.1 cars IMO
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Jones (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 01:50 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Not sure of what you mean here, if the valves were held open all the time that would present the maximum noise...

It also depends on the rear section (muffler), I have the Akra link-pipes and the JCR Valved Silenced Race Exhaust and the cracks and pops are just about perfect.

I always thought that the programmed overrun noise in the 981 were obvious and over-done.
I mean with the valves kept always open due to my previous faulty controller, I did hear a good amount of pops. However, with valves always open, I also heard a lot of drone so I had to revert back to stock PSE controller. I think if PSE controller would open the valves around 3K rpm instead of 5K rpm, I would hear enough of the pops and also not so much of the drone.
Old 02-18-2021 | 01:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Talk to John at Soul Performance as they have a relationship with Softronic. If I were to do an ECU tune it would likely with them. Though at the moment you have to send in your ecu to be flashed.
If I was going with an ECU tune I'd be going after additional BHP/torque and not extraneous noise ...

probably easier and less risky w.r.t warranty to play with exhaust ...
Old 02-18-2021 | 01:59 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rzspyder
Can you elaborate? I do have a hunch that this is a bad idea, but want to hear from others.
I had a crackle and pop tune on one of my other cars, not only was it annoying to have it do that all the time, it also threw a real bad emissions light when traveling downhill for a long time when the engine was still sort of cold...
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smegman
I had a crackle and pop tune on one of my other cars, not only was it annoying to have it do that all the time, it also threw a real bad emissions light when traveling downhill for a long time when the engine was still sort of cold...
not surprising given that it was dumping excess fuel into the exhaust system ... I guess the downstream sensors were seeing that in the gasses... basically its a BAD idea all around IMO might as well buy a BMW that pipes a fake soundtrack into the cabin!
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:14 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

On my 981 Cayman S w/ PSE, the pops and bangs were featured prominently on throttle lift. My wife always thought it sounded like the car was being super gassy and needed to fart all the time.

I don't mind it on the track, but somehow the fireworks felt a little juvenile when slowing to a STOP sign in a residential neighborhood.
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KelvinC
On my 981 Cayman S w/ PSE, the pops and bangs were featured prominently on throttle lift. My wife always thought it sounded like the car was being super gassy and needed to fart all the time.

I don't mind it on the track, but somehow the fireworks felt a little juvenile when slowing to a STOP sign in a residential neighborhood.
+1
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
not surprising given that it was dumping excess fuel into the exhaust system ... I guess the downstream sensors were seeing that in the gasses... basically its a BAD idea all around IMO might as well buy a BMW that pipes a fake soundtrack into the cabin!
Agreed. I always find it funny that people freak out about things like the Soundaktor or BMW's fake speaker noise, but they're just fine with fake pops and burbles created by dumping fuel into the exhaust. They're all phony. The only difference is that the phony pops and burbles in the exhaust also get to spoil other people's day with the lovely 'look at me' sounds of brap brapness...
Old 02-18-2021 | 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agreed. I always find it funny that people freak out about things like the Soundaktor or BMW's fake speaker noise, but they're just fine with fake pops and burbles created by dumping fuel into the exhaust. They're all phony. The only difference is that the phony pops and burbles in the exhaust also get to spoil other people's day with the lovely 'look at me' sounds of brap brapness...
yep that's how I feel about it too!
Old 02-18-2021 | 03:02 PM
vince993tt
Instructor

I agree...the one thing I didn't like about my 981 Spyder exhaust sound (Fabspeed catted headers with OEM PSE) was the annoying fake overrun pops. Otherwise, it was perfect.
On my 718 Spyder, which now has the Akra link pipes and the Akra rear slip-on with OEM valve control, I have what I believe is the perfect level of cracks and pops (and an ideal overall exhaust tone and sound as well). Nothing fake about it, and I wouldn't change it at all. This didn't exist before I made the Akra exhaust change, so I consider it a welcome bonus that comes with the aftermarket system change.
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:00 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Jones
I don't fully understand the comments around this being fake...it is always fake, or more specifically intentional. As Larry mentioned, this is caused byun-ignited gas combusting in the exhaust system. In speaking with other automotive engineers, this either results from inherent inefficiency in an engine's design or more commonly, intentional design to give us the fun noises In an effort to meet increasingly strict emission standards, Porsche has removed that from the behavior of the engines. More efficient use of gas but fewer fun noises.
Agreed, engineers go to great lengths to develop the sound profile. All the fun noises a sports car makes are intentional. There are many areas the engineers can tune; pipe diameter and length, header collector packaging, and even ECU tuning. The Lexus LFA is a great example of acoustic engineering, they spent a lot of energy developing the sound profile and one reason why its one of the best sounding cars ever made. There is a lot of great information about the acoustic design for this car, its very interesting stuff to read.

People use the term ‘fake’ to disparage the exhaust crackle. Fake would be accurate if it came from a speaker as it has no direct relationship to the exhaust, but in this case it’s real combustion, creating real noises, coming from a real exhaust. A more accurate term is deliberate, intentional, or tuned but thats not negative enough for the narrative. Everyone has different preferences on what they want their car to sound like and thats OK. But the people on here aggressively pushing their personal preference onto others as if its the only correct answer is kind of ridiculous. If the OP likes the pops and crackles and makes him appreciate his car even more, then let him enjoy it.

I think the exhaust noises added character and enjoyment, especially at low-mid RPM range where we do most of our driving, and wished Porsche had been able to keep them on the current generation cars. If I were to look into adding it I wouldn’t try through an ECU tune and I’d look at ways to get them added by the muffler design.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 02-18-2021 at 04:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jawnathin:
Jeff Jones (02-18-2021), rzspyder (02-18-2021), spyderphile (02-26-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:18 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Agreed, engineers go to great lengths to develop the sound profile. All the fun noises a sports car makes are intentional. There are many areas the engineers can tune; pipe diameter and length, header collector packaging, and even ECU tuning. The Lexus LFA is a great example of acoustic engineering, they spent a lot of energy developing the sound profile and one reason why its one of the best sounding cars ever made. There is a lot of great information about the acoustic design for this car, its very interesting stuff to read.

People use the term ‘fake’ to disparage the exhaust crackle. Fake would be accurate if it came from a speaker as it has no direct relationship to the exhaust, but in this case it’s real combustion, creating real noises, coming from a real exhaust. A more accurate term is deliberate, intentional, or tuned but thats not negative enough for the narrative. .
Nonsense. Engineering the firing order of the motor or the shape of the exhaust system to achieve a certain exhaust note isn't fake, it's engineering and design. Conversely, dumping fuel into the exhaust system to create the illusion of overrun and get big pops and burbles is 100% fake. Not much different from just putting a sound file of exhaust noise in the audio system, except with that at least the rest of the world doesn't need to share in the fakeness. The only thing missing from my 981 Spyder's exhaust were flames shooting from the tail pipe.
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:33 PM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

People use the term ‘fake’ to disparage the exhaust crackle. Fake would be accurate if it came from a speaker as it has no direct relationship to the exhaust, but in this case it’s real combustion, creating real noises, coming from a real exhaust. A more accurate term is deliberate, intentional, or tuned but thats not negative enough for the narrative. Everyone has different preferences on what they want their car to sound like and thats OK. But the people on here aggressively pushing their personal preference onto others as if its the only correct answer is kind of ridiculous. If the OP likes the pops and crackles and makes him appreciate his car even more, then let him enjoy it.

I think the exhaust noises added character and enjoyment, especially at low-mid RPM range where we do most of our driving, and wished Porsche had been able to keep them on the current generation cars. If I were to look into adding it I wouldn’t try through an ECU tune and I’d look at ways to get them added by the muffler design.
Nonsense. Engineering the firing order of the motor or the shape of the exhaust system to achieve a certain exhaust note isn't fake, it's engineering and design. Conversely, dumping fuel into the exhaust system to create the illusion of overrun and get big pops and burbles is 100% fake. Not much different from just putting a sound file of exhaust noise in the audio system, except with that at least the rest of the world doesn't need to share in the fakeness. The only thing missing from my 981 Spyder's exhaust were flames shooting from the tail pipe.
The term “fake” has different definitions for different people. It’s reasonable to think any kind of sound that is produced by the engine and exhaust is not fake even if some external entity changes the behavior of the system to produce a different sound. It’s not like someone recorded a sound and started playing it in the cabin.

Anyway, folks, I asked in my first post to stay on topic and don’t give comments about how juvenile or phony you think pops are. People at different stages of life have different tastes, let’s respect that. And no, not everyone who wants to have pops wants to show off or bother people. It shouldn’t be hard to believe that there exists a group of people who really like that sound! I don’t see anything wrong with having pops when PSE button is ON in twisty back roads. I love how 981 Spyder pops and not ashamed of this.

Again, thank you all for all the different ideas and perspective on this topic!
The following users liked this post:
Jawnathin (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021 | 04:46 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Arch, you simply weren't trying hard enough... This guy figured it out!

Old 02-18-2021 | 05:18 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Buy a 981 GT4

Quick Reply: ECU tune to bring back pops and bangs