Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2021 718 GTS 4.0 - Weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 12:12 PM
Brian Mullins
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2021 718 GTS 4.0 - Weird Noise

Greetings!

As the title indicates, I bought a 2021 718 GTS 4.0 on New Years Eve and am struggling to sort out an odd noise. Besides this nuisance noise, the performance of the new 4.0L is incredible!

The Sound:
It is what I would describe as a high-pitched metallic "tinkling" that occurs randomly, almost like listening to Morse Code. The source of the sound is somewhere in the rear of the car and is audible from within the cabin.

Now the strange part...

The noise only comes on at 75MPH+ and gets progressively more frequent and persistent into the 80MPH range. The sound is independent of engine speed, what gear I am in, the state of the rear spoiler (deployed or not), Sport Sport+ mode or any other parameter that I have control of.

Based on these observations, I think it may be some sort of resonance or vibration caused by air flowing over/under the car. Normally, nuisance sounds can mostly be ignored, but the tone and persistent "tinkling" are distracting enough that I can hear it over music. That's not to mention that this is a relatively rare, brand new car and the driving experience should not be compromised, IMO.

Troubleshooting:
I have had the car in and out of the dealership multiple times and they have been unable to diagnose the issue. They tried adjusting the heat shielding and the trunk latch, so far. The service manager, service technician and an independent Porsche mechanic have all done ride-alongs and hear the noise as well. They agree with my description of the sound and have also observed the sound grow from an infrequent, staccato "tinkling" to persistent noise with speed.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? The GTS versions of these cars are new, so there is very little data to dig through.

This is my second Porsche. My 2014 981 Cayman S was brilliant and I had no issues with the vehicle ever.

Hopefully by posting this, someone may be able to help by recommending some other form of troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2021, 08:28 AM
TonyPB
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Mullins
Greetings!

As the title indicates, I bought a 2021 718 GTS 4.0 on New Years Eve and am struggling to sort out an odd noise. Besides this nuisance noise, the performance of the new 4.0L is incredible!

The Sound:
It is what I would describe as a high-pitched metallic "tinkling" that occurs randomly, almost like listening to Morse Code. The source of the sound is somewhere in the rear of the car and is audible from within the cabin.

Now the strange part...

The noise only comes on at 75MPH+ and gets progressively more frequent and persistent into the 80MPH range. The sound is independent of engine speed, what gear I am in, the state of the rear spoiler (deployed or not), Sport Sport+ mode or any other parameter that I have control of.

Based on these observations, I think it may be some sort of resonance or vibration caused by air flowing over/under the car. Normally, nuisance sounds can mostly be ignored, but the tone and persistent "tinkling" are distracting enough that I can hear it over music. That's not to mention that this is a relatively rare, brand new car and the driving experience should not be compromised, IMO.

Troubleshooting:
I have had the car in and out of the dealership multiple times and they have been unable to diagnose the issue. They tried adjusting the heat shielding and the trunk latch, so far. The service manager, service technician and an independent Porsche mechanic have all done ride-alongs and hear the noise as well. They agree with my description of the sound and have also observed the sound grow from an infrequent, staccato "tinkling" to persistent noise with speed.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? The GTS versions of these cars are new, so there is very little data to dig through.

This is my second Porsche. My 2014 981 Cayman S was brilliant and I had no issues with the vehicle ever.

Hopefully by posting this, someone may be able to help by recommending some other form of troubleshooting.

Thanks!
Not sure if you ever found a solution but it will be the rear spoiler making the sound. The sound you describe is 100% the same as my Cayman and you can confirm by pulling the fuse that drives the spoiler. Not all cars make the noise as it's to do with the panel fitment creating turbulence that then gets amplifiers by the spoiler when raised. I found it very hard to believe but when you disable the spoiler then you will also believe.
The following 3 users liked this post by TonyPB:
Brian Mullins (06-04-2023), Goodwood (10-07-2021), jackvyal (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 07:47 PM
jackvyal
1st Gear

Greetings!

The Sound:

Now the strange part...

Troubleshooting:

Thanks!
Hi Brian,

I picked my 2020 cayman GTS 4.0 back in December 2022. Have done about 2000 miles in it (11000 miles total) and just noticed the EXACT noise you are referring to. It’s baffling me because it only just started and nothing has happened to the car that I know of or remember.

Same weird morse code like tinkling noise over about 75 mph which is very noticeable and can still hear over music.
Did you ever find the solution to this? Would be great to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:04 PM
Brian Mullins
2nd Gear

Unfortunately not.

I think I may resign to selling the car and buying a GT3 at some point haha.
Old 06-04-2023, 01:22 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

Unfortunately not.

I think I may resign to selling the car and buying a GT3 at some point haha.
If you translate the Morse code that's probably what it's telling you to do.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:38 AM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 296 Posts

The exhaust valves opening / closing make kind of a tinkling sound…?

Quick Reply: 2021 718 GTS 4.0 - Weird Noise