Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2021 Porsche 718 GT4 Miami Blue - Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 12:19 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
great example of how Miami Blue "flops" depending upon the lighting ... looks like riviera in the flash, and teal/turquoise otherwise!
Yup, agree. Still, I really like the color in most of its shades
The following users liked this post:
flynlo (06-04-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:17 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Managed to change the front tires:

Under a closer inspection, even if the left right tires are really bad, it is clear that the outside of the tire has worn more than the inside:

It is the same with the right tire:

So, it is clear I need more camber!
I will use the car as it is right now on the next Nurburgring trip (July 5-6) - as I prefer to know the car than to have a good setup but not be used to the car...

Last edited by v_rex; 06-14-2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:02 AM
v_rex
Instructor

This just arrived:

I will install it next month only, since I have to build the support for it - to mount it here:

Old 06-23-2021, 02:36 PM
v_rex
Instructor

I managed to create the valve controller mount... I started off with a 1m long 25mm wide and 2mm thick piece of Alumium:

Then I bent it:

I went with two pieces even if the first one I think is sufficient because I want to make sure I don't lose the controller in the engine compartment.
Here is the end result (I also used some textile tape to be a complete overkill ):

I can't wait to actually install the controller!
Old 07-10-2021, 05:47 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Just returned from my Nurburgring tip and, what a trip it was...
There are many things I want to share and I intend to cover the following:
1. the trip to Nurburgring and the first day
2. the second day at Nurburgring and the road back
3. Manthey visit and first mods

So, without further ado, here it goes ...
From my place to Nurburgring it's about 1650km (~1009 miles). I'm not as young (and maybe reckless) as I used to be (when I could do this in one day) so it takes me 2 days to get there.
There were no problems getting to Nurburgring but I have to say the car got much more attention than I thought... Firstly, the Border Control (Romanians and Hungarians) congratulated me on the car, asked me rev it up and to do a launch control ). So, when entering Hungary I did my first launch control.
Then, when driving through Austria, in a 80km/h zone, I was doing 87km/h and a gentlemen in a gorgeous C2 Convertible Corvette

passed me (I think he was going 90-95km/h). He gave me the thumbs up when passing. And I also got a number of thumbs up by other people or other Border Control officers congratulating me on the car. This is truly something I did not expect...

Anyway, I got to Nurbugring and I was welcomed by "great" weather. The forecast also didn't look to good - rain for the following 2 days.
Oh, I forgot I did not tell you what I was supposed to do at Nurburgring... I attended a Porsche Track Experience event - Master Level.
As it always happen with the weather forecast, as it is not 100% accurate, you always hope the weather will turn for the better. But, the following day I woke up to a rainy Nurburgring just like predicted. It stopped raining around breakfast but I knew the track wouldn't dry fast.

I had the obligatory briefing where I found out I won a 1 hour of personal coaching with Mathieu Jaminet - due to happen from 10:30 AM the same day.

I was happy to win that but sad I would waist the hour driving a wet track. Anyway... I did my first 3 warm-up laps in ever improving conditions with my group (consisting of 1x992 Turbo S instructor car, 1x718 GT4 instructor car, 2x992 GT3 rentals, 1x718 GT4 rental, 1x992 TurboS rental, 1x991.2 GT3 and 1xFerrari 488 Pista) and by the time I was supposed to start the coaching most of the track was dry.

I had Mathieu for 3 laps where I leaned the wet lines (first lap) and I used the dry lines at an increasing pace for the following 2 laps.
During the last of these 2 laps I managed to go below 8min (7:55) BTG with almost a standing start. Here is the lap:

This is the first time sub 8 on Nurburgring and I have to say I was most proud of the feat.
As you can see, I am coasting in a number of fast parts of the track - so I can be even a little bit faster. Especially on acceleration Mathieu would leave me far behind (Turbo S vs GT4) and then he would go a little bit slower to allow me to catch-up. In some cases (like the coasting areas) that was a bit to slow, but that is a totally understandable approach from Mathieu.
All in all, it was a very useful session where I mostly learned the kerbs I can ride.

After this coaching session it started raining and the track changed to full wet once more - so nothing else to share during this day.
The following 7 users liked this post by v_rex:
Dan Nagy (07-10-2021), GentianGentleman (07-04-2022), Guaji (07-11-2021), halfmonkey (07-10-2021), josephr25 (07-12-2021), peladex (08-12-2021), StilettoPat (07-13-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2021, 06:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,342 Posts

^^^ I thought B 982 VLP was you - I think I passed you in this...

Old 07-10-2021, 07:26 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by v_rex
This is the first time sub 8 on Nurburgring and I have to say I was most proud of the feat.
Thanks kindly for sharing your fun day, photos, and that video. I always love to watch these driving videos from end to end. Your car is a beauty, your driving is terrific, and that engine note is sublime.
v_rex (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 07:26 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
^^^ I thought B 982 VLP was you - I think I passed you in this...

Yup, I remember - and I just looked at the videos as well. I remember staying close (close-ish) to you until the very end, but the group between us just wouldn't let me overtake - also had issues with the GTS driver in that group the next lap.
That lap was 8:00 for me but costing at the end - so I presume yours was 7:40-7:45?

Last edited by v_rex; 07-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by v_rex
Yup, I remember - and I just looked at the videos as well. I remember staying close (close-ish) to you until the very end, but the group between us just wouldn't let me overtake - also had issues with the GTS driver in that group the next lap.
That lap was 8:00 for me but costing at the end - so I presume yours was 7:40-7:45?
I didn't time it ... sadly there were a number of drivers that forgot their briefing before the open lapping, quite a few did not signal to let anyone past ... so I am not surprised that you met some of them as well out there!

we were lucky that the track dried over lunch - it was ideal in the afternoon ...
v_rex (07-11-2021)
Old 07-11-2021, 08:03 AM
v_rex
Instructor

Agree!
Old 07-12-2021, 03:33 AM
v_rex
Instructor

And now, about the second day... Well it all started not in the best of ways. There was a lot of rain and the track was closed to avoid aquaplaning (apparently there were a lot of rivers crossing the circuit).
About 2 hours later the track opened but it was full wet... Fortunately it started drying and by 1PM the track was completely dry. This allowed me to have some fast laps.

Here is my best lap (7:49.41 BTG) - with an almost standing start.

I have a good pace but there still are some areas of improvement - but this is for next year.
Any advice on technique, lines, etc is welcomed!

There is one more video I want to post - with an instructor (Chezito) following me but that requires more editing and will come later.

Oh, and one more thing about the car - I really love the Miami Blue color... It really stands out in front of all the white/grey/black cars.

And, even if Gentian Blue is a great color and I especially like the bronze wheels on that, I am especially glad I didn't go for that (I basically had to chose between these 2). About 10 rentals and instructor cars were 718 GT4's and 9 of them were Gentian Blue with gold wheels. The other one was Guards Red, also with gold wheels. Another thing to mention is the interesting spec these cars had (all were the same): Clubsport Package, PDK, Steel Brakes (I guess you would expect this) but also Manual AC, Leather Package (on the dashboard), PDLS...
Dan Nagy (07-12-2021)
Old 07-13-2021, 11:49 AM
v_rex
Instructor

And, before I move on the the Manthey Racing visit (& mods), one more video I want to share...
During the last day, the instructors were allowed to follow you so I took the opportunity to ask Chezito Mendez to film me (he's driving the 992 TurboS below)

As you can see, it is not quite the cleanest of laps, but the rhythm is decent and it's a 7:55 BTG lap.
Chezito made a mistake at 7:20 and couldn't make up the 2 sec lost until the end.
As the sound is coming from the TurboS, you can definitely hear him coasting a lot... 650PS vs 420PS
Cheers!
The following 3 users liked this post by v_rex:
FASTRKMAN (07-13-2021), josephr25 (07-13-2021), peladex (08-12-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:41 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Next up, the Manthey Racing visit...
As usual, not a lot to see in the parking lot:

Anyway... at Manthey I've done a number of things:

1. OEM suspension kit which consists of:
Top mounts from a 991.2 GT3 RS and some MR spacers for these mounts

Shims 10mm a side for the rear and 2 or 3 mm a side for the front. So, I effectively increased the width by 4-6mm in the front and 20mm in the back... As you can see the OEM shims are still in place

Rear toe links - because of the additional width, the OEM toe links restrict the toe setting. As such, new ones are needed. I have no idea what car these come from, they only have Germany and a 4 digit code engraved.

Because of the increased width, TUV mandates the mounting of these pieces (basically in Germany, the wheel can't extend more than the bodywork). These are VW MK7 Golf pieces. I have not mounted them yet...

As a result, here is the alignment:

2. The Brake Upgrade consisting of:
Pagid developed pads

Steel brake lines

And obviously some more racing brake fluid (Endless).
I've also done an oil change - I was at 6.500 km ~ 4.000 miles

I've done all of this after the trackday, so I am very eager to try the new setup - TOMORROW
Stay tuned !
964C4 (05-28-2022)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

SWEET! you going back for the PSDS in August?
Old 07-15-2021, 04:49 PM
v_rex
Instructor

Nope - family duties then ))
I intend to go on the ice driving programs, or the GT trainings... I think the Master ones are not ideal for me at this point... I have to follow an instructor for 1 day and a half and most of the cars are really slow.
I am planning to go on the Manthey Racing trackdays at Nurburgring next year.

Quick Reply: 2021 Porsche 718 GT4 Miami Blue - Build thread