Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JCR exhaust arrived

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
everything is louder than oem
True, true...else why would some one spend good money on something that sounds stock?
Old 02-13-2021, 10:01 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 808c2s
True, true...else why would some one spend good money on something that sounds stock?
You wouldn’t. My question. was for Jonny. He has offered decibel levels in the past.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 462 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
You wouldn’t. My question. was for Jonny. He has offered decibel levels in the past.
Fair statement. Looking forward to his input.

Last edited by 808c2s; 02-13-2021 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TTFLT6 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:52 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
There is no way that pile of broken up ceramic as seen in the dummy delete thread is good for the performance of our motors. It looks so solid with more matrix than air passages. I know from expericne that going from an OEM ceramic cat to a 200-cell HJS cat opens up the exhaust significantly. More dyno documented power and better throttle response. So now having two of these ceramic honey comb devices in our exhaust pathways doesn't seem like progress, but rather regulation driven digression.
We're still in the early phases of modding the 4.0 platform I feel, but the data so far does not support the OAPs being major power robbers. The real world data we've seen from people with a financial interest in selling pipes has shown power gains from 0 to 5 or 6 HP. It also seems that some drone is hard to avoid when you ditch the (fake or real) OPF completely.

I agree that it's extra weight and a bit of an annoying thing to have on your car but the benefits of keeping it on are real I think. The comparison of stock headers vs. Aftermarket with 200 cpi may not be entirely relevant. Those cats are very close to the heads and interfering with exhaust scavenging. The OPF is very far back where it is less of an issue. If you want to run cats, getting a setup where the cats are in place of the OPF would be a great solution. Far superior to solutions where the cat is part of the header.

Personally I'm thinking to go race headers + performance rear section but leave the stock OAP in. I've heard what a "full" system sounds like and that's just ungodly loud. The stock PSE does an amazing job with valves closed but it will always sound like 3 plus 3 cylinders and the X-piped solutions all get loud pretty fast. So I see no other way than to keep the one thing that seems to do the most to keep the sound levels down.
sobiloff (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:37 PM
Nish G.
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm also in the market for a new rear section and having listened to sound clips from Fabspeed, JCR, Soul, Akrapovic, etc, nobody seems to come close to as good of a sound profile as JCR. Having said that, they and Akrapovic are also the most expensive, likely because they are titanium. It's difficult to justify $8000 CAD for just a rear section when sound improvement is all I'm looking for, not really weight savings. Since JCR has mentioned they aren't developing any other options for the 718 4.0L, I'm hoping another manufacturer is able to reproduce a similar sound signature with a more affordable stainless steel option.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:40 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Nish G.
I'm also in the market for a new rear section and having listened to sound clips from Fabspeed, JCR, Soul, Akrapovic, etc, nobody seems to come close to as good of a sound profile as JCR. Having said that, they and Akrapovic are also the most expensive, likely because they are titanium. It's difficult to justify $8000 CAD for just a rear section when sound improvement is all I'm looking for, not really weight savings. Since JCR has mentioned they aren't developing any other options for the 718 4.0L, I'm hoping another manufacturer is able to reproduce a similar sound signature with a more affordable stainless steel option.
the cargraphic race exhaust has a similar tone to jcr but it’s in ss.
TTFLT6 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 04:58 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
We're still in the early phases of modding the 4.0 platform I feel, but the data so far does not support the OAPs being major power robbers. The real world data we've seen from people with a financial interest in selling pipes has shown power gains from 0 to 5 or 6 HP. It also seems that some drone is hard to avoid when you ditch the (fake or real) OPF completely.

I agree that it's extra weight and a bit of an annoying thing to have on your car but the benefits of keeping it on are real I think. The comparison of stock headers vs. Aftermarket with 200 cpi may not be entirely relevant. Those cats are very close to the heads and interfering with exhaust scavenging. The OPF is very far back where it is less of an issue. If you want to run cats, getting a setup where the cats are in place of the OPF would be a great solution. Far superior to solutions where the cat is part of the header.

Personally I'm thinking to go race headers + performance rear section but leave the stock OAP in. I've heard what a "full" system sounds like and that's just ungodly loud. The stock PSE does an amazing job with valves closed but it will always sound like 3 plus 3 cylinders and the X-piped solutions all get loud pretty fast. So I see no other way than to keep the one thing that seems to do the most to keep the sound levels down.
Recently contacted Soul performance and was actually told the opposite regarding the OAP. That is OEM OAP is restrictive and replacing it should result in about a 15 HP gain. Do any of these guys have dyno data for just replacing the OAP?
Old 02-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Nish G.
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sausage416
I must have been looking at the wrong Cargraphic models, because you're right, the X-pipe model does sound similar to the JCR. Not quite as good, but close. Thank you!

Old 02-14-2021, 07:37 PM
Cali
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sausage416
The SOUL kit is stainless steel as well, correct? I presumed so since it's same weight as OEM.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:31 AM
Nish G.
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cali
The SOUL kit is stainless steel as well, correct? I presumed so since it's same weight as OEM.
Correct. AFAIK, only JCR and Akrapovic offer titanium kits. Everyone else is SS.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:50 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

The cost is relative to all aspects of the system, design and development, materials and difficulty to manufacture (hand made in limited quantities), include all 3 in the mix and the price goes up accordingly. Here in Canada we have the added bonus of a weak currency in most international transactions, and right now especially the British Pound which puts us at a disadvantage when considering the JCR products.

Don't get me wrong, this price point is not for everyone and the SS systems have their place and the advantage of lower cost however...

Personally I did not want a stainless steel system if I were moving away from the OEM parts, I figured that if I am changing out some of the exhaust system it will have to check the boxes in sound, lightweight construction and quality or for my I wouldn't bother. As you have probably figured by now I have the JCR Silenced Valved Race Pipe and Akra link-pipes and the sound is incredible, it is all Titanium and is a work of art...
Old 02-15-2021, 12:57 PM
Cali
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
As you have probably figured by now I have the JCR Silenced Valved Race Pipe and Akra link-pipes and the sound is incredible, it is all Titanium and is a work of art...
This is the set-up I was eyeing, although I've heard rumblings that the Akra link pipes aren't available stateside anymore for some reason. Might have to wait it out for JCR's titanium OAPs to complete the set up. And save up the piggy bank money of course.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali
This is the set-up I was eyeing, although I've heard rumblings that the Akra link pipes aren't available stateside anymore for some reason. Might have to wait it out for JCR's titanium OAPs to complete the set up. And save up the piggy bank money of course.
As these OAP's are part of a modular system the JCR units should be quite similar in nature yielding nearly identical results. It was all due to timing that I was able to get the Akra units when I did and don't understand why they are not generally available now, check with Eric at Supreme Power as he may know more.

TBH, the JCR OAP's were not available when I was ordering exhaust parts, normally I would match the system.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM
rahtid
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 27 Posts

The Soul valved rear section is SS but it does sound very close to JCR's exhaust. I'm having a warm time deciding which one to get. JCR is what the heart wants but wallet says SOUL lol.

From what I gather from this thread (thank you all for the feedback), my ideal setup might be the JCR valved non-silenced with OEM GPF and no valve controller. The valves still close automatically under 4k rpm? If that's the case that might dumb down the downshifting sounds and will need a valve controller. The only time drone will annoy me is on the highway.
Which gives a cleaner high pitch sound? the silenced or non-silenced valved race pipe?
Old 02-15-2021, 03:16 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 939 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by rahtid
The Soul valved rear section is SS but it does sound very close to JCR's exhaust. I'm having a warm time deciding which one to get. JCR is what the heart wants but wallet says SOUL lol.

From what I gather from this thread (thank you all for the feedback), my ideal setup might be the JCR valved non-silenced with OEM GPF and no valve controller. The valves still close automatically under 4k rpm? If that's the case that might dumb down the downshifting sounds and will need a valve controller. The only time drone will annoy me is on the highway.
Which gives a cleaner high pitch sound? the silenced or non-silenced valved race pipe?
This is an example of our non silenced, it’s a touch crisper sounding due to no sound suppression or expansion in the rear section at all

View this post on Instagram

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
The following 4 users liked this post by JCR-Porsche:
Alpha Ice (03-17-2021), Cali (02-15-2021), josephr25 (02-15-2021), rahtid (02-15-2021)

Quick Reply: JCR exhaust arrived