Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JCR exhaust arrived

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 03:03 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have auditioned that clip a few times and again just now, I think it can be considered as representative of the changes in sound that you would experience by adding just the JCR rear section, I think what is important to take from this is the change in the characteristic of the sound more than anything else. Sonic memory is at play here for me, when I listen to these clips I remember what mine sound like and realize that the video is falling short of the real world sound. I can hear both the JCR sound and OEM sound in each sound bite and they do come out close but compressed.

I would say that this clip gives a vey good indication of what to expect but understand that in reality the JCR system it has more impact then comes across here, the other thing I do like is how Damian presented this was to throttle the engine in a very similar way, given' her the beans the same way, I have watched video from the other manufacturers and don't recall they tried to keep this the same.

Another thing I might mention is it depends on what you as the owner is looking for, you may or may not want such a boisterous exhaust note and prefer to maintain a more stealthy sound, everybody is slightly different. I have had a number of NA flat-6 engine cars so I knew what I thought that I should be hearing from this 4.0l 400+ HP engine and it just wasn't there, IMHO the exhaust sound was being muddied up by the OEM system, the JCR Valved Silenced Race pipe answered the call for a clean more characteristic flat-6 exhaust sound.

Good to hear about this. Your description of what JCR exhaust sounds like appears to be what I am after. Thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by 808c2s:
JCR-Porsche (02-11-2021), Westcoast (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,714 Posts

This clip is also very good at what you can expect from just the JCR rear section and OEM GPF's in place:

Another exhaust sound data point - Page 52 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-11-2021 at 03:05 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Westcoast:
Andrewpiper (12-28-2022), Clark_Kent (06-28-2022), JCR-Porsche (02-11-2021), rahtid (02-15-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:17 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

I have auditioned that clip a few times and again just now, I think it can be considered as representative of the changes in sound that you would experience by adding just the JCR rear section, I think what is important to take from this is the change in the characteristic of the sound more than anything else. Sonic memory is at play here for me, when I listen to these clips I remember what mine sound like and realize that the video is falling short of the real world sound. I can hear both the JCR sound and OEM sound in each sound bite and they do come out close but compressed.

I would say that this clip gives a vey good indication of what to expect but understand that in reality the JCR system it has more impact then comes across here, the other thing I do like is how Damian presented this was to throttle the engine in a very similar way, given' her the beans the same way, I have watched video from the other manufacturers and don't recall they tried to keep this the same.

Another thing I might mention is it depends on what you as the owner is looking for, you may or may not want such a boisterous exhaust note and prefer to maintain a more stealthy sound, everybody is slightly different. I have had a number of NA flat-6 engine cars so I knew what I thought that I should be hearing from this 4.0l 400+ HP engine and it just wasn't there, IMHO the exhaust sound was being muddied up by the OEM system, the JCR Valved Silenced Race pipe answered the call for a clean more characteristic flat-6 exhaust sound.
Great analysis! I think I was amongst the first ones with the JCR exhaust but the non silenced version. I used it with valves unplugged (medium drone at highway speeds) then combined with Akrapovic OAP (crazy drone) and finally went back to stock OAP with JCR exhaust with valves plugged (very low drone at highway speeds). I am keeping the last set up as long as I will own the car. I just love it!! Elegant, racy and pure flat 6 sound but still civilized for my neighbors and the police when driving under 4000 rpms. It just sounds RIGHT and HIGH Quality. I’d expect a 911 Singer to sound like this
The following 2 users liked this post by DocMo:
JCR-Porsche (02-11-2021), Westcoast (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:26 PM
hugo993
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

the sound seems perfect to me. go to 15mn30 and at the end. this is a non silenced version. I will leave the particulate filter and install the rear silencer. I will add a valve controller and I think it will be perfect!
Old 02-11-2021, 03:47 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by hugo993
Non silenced version

the sound seems perfect to me. go to 15mn30 and at the end. this is a non silenced version. I will leave the particulate filter and install the rear silencer. I will add a valve controller and I think it will be perfect!
Trust me you don’t need a valve controller with this set up if you plug in the valves and let them work as intended by PSE. The difference between valves open and closed is just enough to reduce the drone without a significant impact on sound volume.
The following users liked this post:
Krizze (03-27-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 03:49 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Regarding you starting point, that is where my journey began, the JCR Valved Silenced Race Pipe with stock OAP. My take on that combination, nearly perfect and I dare say more perfect then it is now with the Akra link-pipe, it had the beautiful x-pipe sound, clearly a performance flat-6 exhaust note and virtually no drone. So you might ask what was it lacking(?), maybe just a bit bit more volume, intensity and lower frequencies, IMHO the GPF matrix in the OEM pipes are very effective as a silencer.

Since we all have different tastes I agree that a great starting point would be the exhaust/silencer as it changes the sound through design and can include mixing as in the case of the JCR system, where as the GPF delete mainly only makes it louder, and that maybe too much for some.

Thanks for sharing all the pearla of what you have learned in this thread.

I noticed JCR now has silenced opf delete pipes on their website. Do you think paring this with the silenced race exhaust will give the perfect sound quality and intensity while still preserving little to no drone?

I also wonder how that combo would sound compared to just the non-silenced race exhaust alone. Maybe JCR has some more information or sound clips soon.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:50 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TTFLT6
Thank you, good info. I'm starting to think it's better to start with the exhaust/silencer vs. OAP, and then adjust w/OAP or gouge out the OEM pipe materials if you want more volume. We now know the OAP's don't add any meaningful HP gain.
According to JC from JCR, if you were to change out the OEM headers to race headers, then the next most restrictive point would be the OAP, and not the rear mufflers. Thus the deletion of the OAP would net some meaningful HP gains (don't know the exact figures) when paired with the race headers. OAP alone would not add much, as the OEM headers are the most restrictive components.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:59 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Really great discussion, as mentioned it’s tricky to capture the sound accurately on video

We tend to always advise to first go with the rear and build from there based on your own experience. Be it non silenced or silenced.

We worked really hard to develop our rear options together with the factory PSE and I feel leaving the valves to operate as intended which is in line with our development does yield the best results overall.

For those looking for more, more of the time, we have our non valved systems coming but realistically these offerings will be aimed squarely at those who wish to achieve maximum weight savings and accept a level of sound which some might not be fully satisfied with on a daily basis

Thanks again for taking the time to share your real world experiences

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 02-11-2021, 04:57 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Regarding you starting point, that is where my journey began, the JCR Valved Silenced Race Pipe with stock OAP. My take on that combination, nearly perfect and I dare say more perfect then it is now with the Akra link-pipe, it had the beautiful x-pipe sound, clearly a performance flat-6 exhaust note and virtually no drone. So you might ask what was it lacking(?), maybe just a bit bit more volume, intensity and lower frequencies, IMHO the GPF matrix in the OEM pipes are very effective as a silencer.

Since we all have different tastes I agree that a great starting point would be the exhaust/silencer as it changes the sound through design and can include mixing as in the case of the JCR system, where as the GPF delete mainly only makes it louder, and that maybe too much for some.
Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Thanks for sharing all the pearla of what you have learned in this thread.

I noticed JCR now has silenced opf delete pipes on their website. Do you think paring this with the silenced race exhaust will give the perfect sound quality and intensity while still preserving little to no drone?

I also wonder how that combo would sound compared to just the non-silenced race exhaust alone. Maybe JCR has some more information or sound clips soon.
You are welcome, as much as they are my observations I try to keep them real and objective.

Yes I saw the JCR silenced OPF pipes and it is this statement that is most interesting to me:
This means you benefit from the HP and TQ increase but with only a subtle bump in overall volume vs the factory OPF pipes
Above where I said "nearly perfect" I feel that for me there could be a little more volume and intensity to be enjoyed over using the stock OPF pipes, for me the non-silenced Akra link-pipes definitely increase the volume and intensity but to the point that is too loud all of the time and I am happy the valves are still operating in my system. I would be looking for maybe a 25-30% increase in sound and intensity over the stock OPF, perhaps the JCR Silenced OPF would be the ticket, I would be interested to hear them.

As Jonny said, they designed the rear section to work with the OEM OPF pipes and I would say that most people would find this the best balance on the street and only those looking for a significant step up in volume and intensity would then go further and remove the OEM OPF.

Last edited by Westcoast; 02-11-2021 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:23 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

The JCR exhaust sounds really nice especially the first Boxster video.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

Enjoy hearing everyones comments on a great exhaust that promotes the flat-six sound we are all are sorta missing from the OEM exhaust offering. It also seems like the GPF, although not desirable for many reasons, offers some sound and drone attenuation. This appears to be necessary for most folks to be the happy with their rear section upgrades.

That begs the question for someone to make a resonated OAP. We can have some drone reduction and calm down the overall volume as well. For those still using the OEM rear muffler, you would at least have some sound damping in the direct pathway when hitting the PSE button. Otherwise it is straight out with the deletion of the GPF. If a couple of manufacturers can put a cat back there, why not a resonator. The added cost would not be that high either.

Some say the GPF makes power and others say it does not. In either case, I would like it gone. Don't need the extra weight, the heat containment, nor the reduced throttle response. There is no way that pile of broken up ceramic as seen in the dummy delete thread is good for the performance of our motors. It looks so solid with more matrix than air passages. I know from expericne that going from an OEM ceramic cat to a 200-cell HJS cat opens up the exhaust significantly. More dyno documented power and better throttle response. So now having two of these ceramic honey comb devices in our exhaust pathways doesn't seem like progress, but rather regulation driven digression.

Just my opinion, but sport headers with good quality HJS cats and a resonated OAP would be a great option to have. You can then mate it to whatever rear section you so chose, with the x-pipe versions such as Johnny's likely yielding the best results.
Andrewpiper (12-28-2022)
Old 02-11-2021, 08:16 PM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Enjoy hearing everyones comments on a great exhaust that promotes the flat-six sound we are all are sorta missing from the OEM exhaust offering. It also seems like the GPF, although not desirable for many reasons, offers some sound and drone attenuation. This appears to be necessary for most folks to be the happy with their rear section upgrades.

That begs the question for someone to make a resonated OAP. We can have some drone reduction and calm down the overall volume as well. For those still using the OEM rear muffler, you would at least have some sound damping in the direct pathway when hitting the PSE button. Otherwise it is straight out with the deletion of the GPF. If a couple of manufacturers can put a cat back there, why not a resonator. The added cost would not be that high either.

Some say the GPF makes power and others say it does not. In either case, I would like it gone. Don't need the extra weight, the heat containment, nor the reduced throttle response. There is no way that pile of broken up ceramic as seen in the dummy delete thread is good for the performance of our motors. It looks so solid with more matrix than air passages. I know from expericne that going from an OEM ceramic cat to a 200-cell HJS cat opens up the exhaust significantly. More dyno documented power and better throttle response. So now having two of these ceramic honey comb devices in our exhaust pathways doesn't seem like progress, but rather regulation driven digression.

Just my opinion, but sport headers with good quality HJS cats and a resonated OAP would be a great option to have. You can then mate it to whatever rear section you so chose, with the x-pipe versions such as Johnny's likely yielding the best results.
Our Titanium Silenced OPF Deletes will be ready to go very soon

They will be the last of our modular products for this platform... Non valved parts to follow too as mentioned above

JC
sobiloff (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:57 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 628 Likes on 277 Posts

e-mike, What do the videos miss with the JCR sound? Is it deeper or higher pitched than the videos? Curious how you would describe the real world sound. Thanks!
In my opinion, the sound in person has more upper and lower octaves that I didn't hear in the videos. Think of playing multiple in tune notes on a piano at the same time versus one key. In addition, the sound in real life is also much "cleaner" than video or with the stock rear section. By cleaner, I mean less muddy and tractor sounding but rather a more typical staccato and succinct race car flat 6 wail.

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Really great discussion, as mentioned it’s tricky to capture the sound accurately on video

We tend to always advise to first go with the rear and build from there based on your own experience. Be it non silenced or silenced.

JC
Sound advice! This is what I would do first if I was starting over folks.

UncleDude (02-11-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 12:43 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Our Titanium Silenced OPF Deletes will be ready to go very soon

They will be the last of our modular products for this platform... Non valved parts to follow too as mentioned above

JC
Hey Jonny, Do you know the decibel difference between Silenced Race Pipe w/ OPF delete pipes vs. Silenced Race Pipe w/ Silenced OPF deletes? I wonder if doing both silenced sections would still be louder than OEM.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:25 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 448 Posts

Hey Jonny, Do you know the decibel difference between Silenced Race Pipe w/ OPF delete pipes vs. Silenced Race Pipe w/ Silenced OPF deletes? I wonder if doing both silenced sections would still be louder than OEM.
everything is louder than oem

Quick Reply: JCR exhaust arrived