Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Lightning Lap Results.. Dissapointing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021 | 09:07 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
There's a long list of great cars from the past 20 years that turned a lap between 3:00 and 3:20 versus the GT4's 2:50.
Tires have made gigantic leaps forward.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCviggen:
hoontang (02-06-2021), Traind (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021 | 11:43 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
How was the engagement of zl1 on track?
Unfortunately, I only was able to get it out once last year and it was a monsoon day. So I don't really have any great impressions. Other than the thing is a monster and GMs various traction control settings are amazing. I finally realized I'm not going to have the time to track like I want to for quite a few years due to family commitments (mainly coaching a daughter in multiple sports). Also, nobody wanted to ride with me in it on the street, hence the move to the 6MT GTS 4.0.

Last edited by minn19; 02-05-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2021 | 02:50 PM
Traind
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zhao
If you want raw lap times a closed wheel car is a bad idea anyway. For 50g you can destroy that senna's lap time, and I'd argue you can do it easier and safer with an open wheel car such as a pro formula Mazda.

Aero means you don't need the same power or top speed to run faster, so if things go bad it's at lower speeds most likely. They do quite well in an accident, and are quite cheap to fix or replace, meaning you can drive at the limit without much risk.

I spun an open wheel car into a cement pit wall hard enough to damage it nose and tail, as well as every corner of the suspension getting destroyed. Walked away with 2 minor bruises on my arms from the back and forth in the composite tub so I'd say they dissipate forces quite well. That car was also still cheaper to repair.
I agree with your general point that track only cars provide huge speed for lower cost. Also, better consistency on long runs and lower consumables costs depending on engine rebuild schedule.

However, these high end street cars can do a few laps really, really fast at a place like VIR that has 3 very fast straights. I am not sure about every Fomula Mazda configuration but in my recollection they are similar in pace to an SR3 Radical. On VIR Full course, the Corvette ZR1 is faster than the Radical and that compares the ZR1 being driven by a GM development engineer (Jim Mero) who is also a very good driver vs a pro driver in the Radical (Mike Skeen). The Radical crushes the ZR1 through the downhill left after the esses 120mph vs 97mph but those 3 long straights allow the ZR1 to gain back time. The ZR1 is 35 mph faster on the back straight!

The ZR1 beats the SR3 by about 2 seconds or so at VIR Full. The Senna would probably be up by 5+ seconds or more on an SR3. The gap might tighten at the Grand West course due to the infield but not enough to reverse the order. So no, I don't think the Senna's lap time will be touched , let alone destroyed, by a typical $50k used Formula Mazda. You'll have to spend more on a quicker race car to beat the Senna on that track. But lay down $200k on a Radical RXC Spyder and you'll have your destruction of the $900k Senna for a big cost savings.
Old 02-05-2021 | 03:58 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c1pher
There is no denying the C8 performs well. I just wish they had all the fit and finish and other QC issues sorted. Barely anyone complains here about their 718. However go to the C8 forums and there’s a lot of complaints about panel and paint alignment, interior panels not lining up, stitching not straight, engine failures and on and on. They even had an issue with the frunk opening on its own. I realize it’s a less expensive car, but you don’t see those types of issues on cars that cost the same amount as a C8. This is why I pulled my C8 order I waited over a year for (never materialized) and ordered the Spyder instead. I also like smaller cars and after seeing a few C8s in person, I realized how huge it is now. I think the Spyder will also hold value longer than a C8 will after all the manufacturing catches up as it does historically.
In the C8's defense, the fruck thing is all user error, not a flaw. They just didn't make it as idiot proof for the retards out there.

The Frunck on the C8 is a 2-step latch system to fully close. The idiots out there were only engaging the first step on the latch system and then driving off. If they bothered to learn their car or read the owners manual, they would know that it is a 2 step process. So, GM made it more idiot proof and did a software update.

Regarding the interior , its pretty damn good. If you take a ruler out and the stitching is not 100% straight, as long as it's not looking like a S, I don't see the big deal, that is really **** attentive. Design layout is subjective, but the general build quality and the material quality in top level trim is amazing. Lots better than the M3 I had. The Z06 version coming out is going to be the complete package, and it will be right around the GT4 price point.

People love to bag on GM, and in some cases rightfully so, but the C8 has upped the ante by A LOT. The upcoming Z06... Drop the mike!!!

Having said that, I am going with the PDK GT4 since I am buying this summer, but I won't rule out a trade to the C8 Z06 in a few years.

Last edited by TRZ06; 02-05-2021 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Traind (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021 | 04:40 PM
Fxanimator1
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
The PDK weighs 37 pounds more on the GT3 (just over 1.1% of its weight) and 68 pounds more on the GT4 (just over 2.1% of its weight).

On a power to weight basis, the PDK weight penalty on the GT4 is nearly double that of the GT3.

Granted, some (including you) may find all of this irrelevant and it certainly isn’t earth shakingly important. But for car geeks, it can mean something.

All of this began when someone suggested that the PDK version of the GT4 would have moved up the Lightning Lap leader board by at least 3 spots compared to Manual.

All of this stuff above was just my way of supporting with the best data I have (not perfect) that I disagree with that.

Sorry it got a little verbose (too much coffee today)
The reason I stated that was not so much about the mechanics of either car nor the weight differential of either car, but the person driving the car. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Quick Reply: Lightning Lap Results.. Dissapointing?